Good, Brutal sounding DiMarzio bridge pickup for Ibanez RG1527

Kryss

Your new god!
Reaction score
haven't tried these deactivators. all mine have evolution 7s also got evo's in my 6s as well love the clarity of them.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kryss

Your new god!
Reaction score
ok checked out the dimarzio site and listened to the demos posted and i agree i think for a super crunch heavy sound i would give a very slight edge to the deactivator over the evo from what i heard just there. a few years back the evo had a pretty high output and it seems like they really cranked up the output on that deactivator even more. i think if i were building a new custom guitar i would probably toss a couple of the deactivators in them over even the evolution but to me i don't think there is too big of a difference overall both are very comparable in what they can do. the evo just has a slight bit more mid and little less output. not a huge diff depending on how you would eq your rig. always have loved dimarzio though. great pick ups.

viesczy

Reaction score
I have the Tone Zone 7 in the bridge of 50% of my 7s and love it.

I don't really like the Evo 7. It is very brittle sounding through my British voiced amps (my Laneys), though it does sound great in my American voiced amps.

I have the Breed in the bridge of the first 7 string Agile run, which sounds okay enough.

Honeslty, I'd go with the TZ 7 over all other bridge pickups. My amps give me 90% of the snarl I need, the pickups are almost secondary. And the Air Norton in the neck.

Derek

Dead Undead

New again
Reaction score
I have the Tone Zone 7 in the bridge of 50% of my 7s and love it.

I don't really like the Evo 7. It is very brittle sounding through my British voiced amps (my Laneys), though it does sound great in my American voiced amps.

I have the Breed in the bridge of the first 7 string Agile run, which sounds okay enough.

Honeslty, I'd go with the TZ 7 over all other bridge pickups. My amps give me 90% of the snarl I need, the pickups are almost secondary. And the Air Norton in the neck.

Derek

I've heard A LOT about the TZ7 being crap, especially compared to the 6, and I would tend to agree. Being the incredibly bass-and-low mid-heavy pickup it is, it would sound muddy and limited in a 7 string unless you have a really bright amp. For OP, I would advise against using the TZ7 unless you really wanna get down with tweaking your pickups and rig.

Reaction score
d-activators kill all dude. did you think of SD blackouts though? but you do have to make the cavity deeper. not to be that asshole that always brings up actives (i fucking HATE EMG's with a burning fucking passion) but the blackouts are a bit different. theyre like an active passive as they sound like a real pickup but still crush all in its path like an active. but if you want dimarzios (my preferred pickups) then you shuld get a d-activator set or an X2N bridge with a d-activator neck. nothink else will really get that crushing metal sound

Dead Undead

New again
Reaction score
d-activators kill all dude. did you think of SD blackouts though? but you do have to make the cavity deeper. not to be that asshole that always brings up actives (i fucking HATE EMG's with a burning fucking passion) but the blackouts are a bit different. theyre like an active passive as they sound like a real pickup but still crush all in its path like an active. but if you want dimarzios (my preferred pickups) then you shuld get a d-activator set or an X2N bridge with a d-activator neck. nothink else will really get that crushing metal sound

I wouldn't say nothing else... Hell I use a Norton in the bridge of my Washburn and droptune to AADGBe and it's great for really heavy metal. Most of the tone and distortion is from the amp, so if you have a high gain amp you really don't need a very high output pickup.

Reaction score
I wouldn't say nothing else... Hell I use a Norton in the bridge of my Washburn and droptune to AADGBe and it's great for really heavy metal. Most of the tone and distortion is from the amp, so if you have a high gain amp you really don't need a very high output pickup.
very true. although i cant see a norton working

Dead Undead

New again
Reaction score
very true. although i cant see a norton working

Well no, not for what he's doing. The lowest I tune on that particular guitar s D standard, if that. I play a lot of older rock and metal, 70's and 80's, and it fit the bill pretty well. But I tried using it for some heavier stuff, and it had a surprisingly tight and powerful tone.

D-Activators are still the best way to go for OP.

')