Good cab suggestions for 700 and under?

• Thread starter Bulbs
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Another :yesway: to Avatar. They're fantastic cabs, regardless of price, and given the fact you can customize them they're just chocked full of win.

Take a look at the Contemporary:
cont%20black%20412.jpg

It's $647 for the 4x12 shipped to your door with any color tolex, grill type, your choice of Celestion speakers, etc, and it's only $468 for a custom 2x12!

Not to mention, Dave (company owner and operator) is a real stand up guy. :agreed:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

soundgardener75

Resident Weirdo
Reaction score
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12. I tried one with my VTM 60 and loved it, and I'm sure you'll love it on your 5150 as well.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
If he wants the speakers he likes, buy Avatar.

If you want to spend way more money buying a cab and swapping speakers, then it's his prerogative.

Also, Mesa offers some cabs with C90s.

as far as I know, any mesa boogie cab can be C90 loaded at no extra charge :)

Galius

Mentally Guitarded
Reaction score
You might wanna weigh your options depending on what youre planning on using the cab for most. I love my vader with my 6505+, but its said that the vaders sound like dookie recorded. Therefor I also have a mesa recto cab with v30s in it. Both sound great but mabey an avatar would be a good option.

Dehumanize

Banned
Reaction score
The Vaders record absolutely fine, but differently than V30 standards. I replaced Avatar cabinets with Vaders and haven't looked back. Going Vader was one of my favorite upgrades in the last year.

ATRguitar91

Reaction score
How much sound difference is there between a Mesa 4x12 and an Avatar Contemporary 4x12?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
V30's and a Traditional. My bad.

The Mesa is a bigger cab overall, but they're made out of similar materials and weigh very similar as well. They're also both rear loading and closed back. The Mesa's bass response is going to be different based on the larger cab, but understand if they're loaded with the exact same speakers the difference is going to be a lot less extreme than you'd think.

The Avatar Vintage 412 on the other hand is almost the exact same as the Mesa Std. Recto cab, so it would be even more similar in tonality.

Galius

Mentally Guitarded
Reaction score
I dont know off hand, so im going by what I read by MANY people that recorded with them. Im sure they sound fine, but mabey just not the best for the application. Vaders absolutely slay for live purposes though. :metal:
The Vaders record absolutely fine, but differently than V30 standards. I replaced Avatar cabinets with Vaders and haven't looked back. Going Vader was one of my favorite upgrades in the last year.

gi9gtrwrist

Reaction score
If you search on ebay you can easily find unloaded cabs for a couple hundred bucks and speakers are pretty much a dime a dozen. Fryette even started selling the Eminence P50e speakers they put in their cabs. I'm running a Randall 125 with only 2 eminence texas heats and my total cost for the cab and speakers was only around $300

Latest posts

')