Good Cheap Amps

agodthatlies

Reaction score
Ok First of all I am extremely new at this forum, or any forum in fact the is my first EVER post, please excuse my spelling.....

I have been playing guitar for about four years now and getting to the point that I want a new amp. There is only one problem, i honestly never got to play on any (for more than 10 mins) other amp except Line Six. This really cripeld me. I cant really figure out how to work any other amps because of it. I really want to get my own sound and im sick to deathh of Line Six. Im good at guitar and can play The Faceless, Black Dahlia Murder, After the Burial and so on....

Anyways I really want to get a half stack but im pretty broke. So i would like to know what is the best combanations of cabs and heads for cheap. consider used gear and all.

ive seen tuns or marshal MG seriers for like 250- 300 heads and cabs...and Ive also seen alot of crates for cheap(350).( gt1200) i mean i just want to carry the distorin of the Black Dahlia Murder but cheap...something gig worthy. I just want to play metal right now and eventually i will get something better like an orange head or a mesa....or engl ;)

Anyways dont give me some fantasy gear that a teen cant afford(on his own budget). Something that i could get i guess within the 600 700 really pushin it...although thats still cheap.

By the way i have a pretty bad ass guitar... A Jackson dinky hot rod orange and blue flame (that they dont sell anymore) :shred: sounds amazing, even threw that dumb line six.....

ANYWAYS thanks :wavey:

ps( i hope this is in the right section)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

warlock7strEMG

Reaction score
Ok First of all I am extremely new at this forum, or any forum in fact the is my first EVER post, please excuse my spelling.....

I have been playing guitar for about four years now and getting to the point that I want a new amp. There is only one problem, i honestly never got to play on any (for more than 10 mins) other amp except Line Six. This really cripeld me. I cant really figure out how to work any other amps because of it. I really want to get my own sound and im sick to deathh of Line Six. Im good at guitar and can play The Faceless, Black Dahlia Murder, After the Burial and so on....

Anyways I really want to get a half stack but im pretty broke. So i would like to know what is the best combanations of cabs and heads for cheap. consider used gear and all.

ive seen tuns or marshal MG seriers for like 250- 300 heads and cabs...and Ive also seen alot of crates for cheap(350).( gt1200) i mean i just want to carry the distorin of the Black Dahlia Murder but cheap...something gig worthy. I just want to play metal right now and eventually i will get something better like an orange head or a mesa....or engl ;)

Anyways dont give me some fantasy gear that a teen cant afford(on his own budget). Something that i could get i guess within the 600 700 really pushin it...although thats still cheap.

By the way i have a pretty bad ass guitar... A Jackson dinky hot rod orange and blue flame (that they dont sell anymore) :shred: sounds amazing, even threw that dumb line six.....

ANYWAYS thanks :wavey:

ps( i hope this is in the right section)

For the type of tones u are goin for, specifically Black Dahlia Murder, I would go for something in the 5150/6505 series. A used 5150 or 5150 II can be had for a decently cheap price, $500-600 sometimes. But that doesn't include the cab, and a head with no cab isn't good for much haha!!!

However, u can get 6505 112 combo brand new for $600 and most Guitar Centers carry them. Its made in china so it's much more affordable than the other 6505's but it's the combo version of the 6505+(5150 II). It's 60 watts but sounds just like the head version and hooked up to a cab it has the potential to be just as loud and powerful sounding. But even as a 112 combo with the stock speaker, it's pretty damn loud and ballsy and is gonna sound leaps and bounds better than any of the Crate, Line 6, etc amps that go for around the same price. It's not a half stack but being a very loud and ballsy sounding 1x12 it'll certainly do the trick till u can afford a cab to run it thru, like an Avatar 4x12 or a used Mesa 4x12.

And I noticed u said u don't really know how to operate any other amps because ur so accustom to using Line 6. A little helpful hint for when u do get a chance to check out the 6505, put it on the lead channel, set the EQ all at 6, gain(Pre) at 5-6, Presence and Resonance at about 7 and crank the volume(Post) as loud as the store will allow u to before asking u to leave haha. Volume cranked at 3-4 is where these amps really come alive!!!! But even at lower volumes these amps sound pretty damn good, ESP the combo version

Reaction score
Its about $800-$1000 total for a used pro level halfstack:

5150 head ($500-$600)
Line 6 Spider Valve 412VS 4x12 ($300-$400) (it has vintage 30's, and is made of birch)

Now...if that is too much, you will have to sacrifice quality:

Line 6 Pod Pro ($120-$200)
CROWN power base power amp 200watts at 8ohms ($120-$160)
Avatar 2x12 cab with Celestions ($200)

Thats about $440-$560

For used gear you can search these places, I suggest you plan on buying the cab locally, because most places charge over $120 for shipping:

Guitar Center
Sweetwater Trading Post
Home | Gbase.com > Guitars Amps & More
Daddys.com - Over 14,000 Used Instruments Online Daily
Used Guitars, Used Drums, Used Amps, Used Cymbals | Music Go Round

Other ideas would be a used 6505+ combo ($450), and the Line 6 4x12, or the 5150 head and 2x12 cab.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Peavey XXL and a used mesa 212 will sound good on a budget. Get an amp stand for an extra $40 and away you go.

Reaction score
Peavey XXL and a used mesa 212 will sound good on a budget. Get an amp stand for an extra $40 and away you go.

Also, used Peavey XXX or JSX heads do pop up for $475 every once and a while.

You need to watch like a hawk to catch those deals, and be extra careful when asking questions to see if anything is wrong with it, or if it has had repairs, or replaced parts (transformers especially).

Inazone

Reaction score

+1

I gig with one of two rigs, one being a Peavey XXL into a Jackson 4x12, and the other being a pedal/rack rig into a Mesa (vertical) 2x12 cab. You should be able to find an XXL head for under $300, but make sure you get the footswitch with it. Peavey cabs often show up for under $250, and I personally like them. My band has put out two albums that were recorded with Peavey 2x12 cabs, and you can get a 4x12 for not much more.

Avoid the cheap Crate and Marshall half-stacks.

agodthatlies

Reaction score
No one liked the peavey vypyr ?(head) Would it go good with an avatar cab?

Thanks for all the help guys.

ridner

Bastard of Thousands
Reaction score
6505+ 112 Combo FTW!

sell2792

Reaction score
How are the XXL's? Theirs one going cheap near me but I'm still holding off waiting for a Randall... or even a new Vox VT Pro.

hirah

Contributor
Reaction score
for under 800, i don't think this can be beat for value and tone
peavey rockmaster preamp
peavey 60/60 poweramp
tc g-major
peavey 412ms cab
midi-mate foot controller

just keep looking for deals and you'll find them.

i ended up paying about $450 for my rackmount mark 4.
750 for the 1x12 hardwood cab. sold the hardwood cab for 450, bought a rackmount for it for 150.

Albionic

First of the magi
Reaction score
for under 800, i don't think this can be beat for value and tone
peavey rockmaster preamp
peavey 60/60 poweramp
tc g-major
peavey 412ms cab
midi-mate foot controller

just keep looking for deals and you'll find them.

i ended up paying about $450 for my rackmount mark 4.
750 for the 1x12 hardwood cab. sold the hardwood cab for 450, bought a rackmount for it for 150.

if you can't find a rockmaster the engl 530 is very reasonable

Latest posts

')