Good clean tube amp for pedals under $700

• Thread starter matt95hm
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

matt95hm

Reaction score
so i've started getting into the jazz and my current hi gain amp head wont cut it for this so, im looking into a good clean tube amp with an effects loop, doesn't have to have multiple channels, basically ill run an Wah, OD, DIST and COMP in front then other effects in the loop, and i'm looking for an amp that wont take away from the pedals

must have 3 way EQ and presence knobs

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

WestOfSeven

Reaction score
so i've started getting into the jazz and my current hi gain amp head wont cut it for this so, im looking into a good clean tube amp with an effects loop, doesn't have to have multiple channels, basically ill run an Wah, OD, DIST and COMP in front then other effects in the loop, and i'm looking for an amp that wont take away from the pedals

My old randall titan is the best head for pedals I've ever used.

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
Egnater Tweaker 88. Just picked one up myself this past week on closeout at Guitar Center. Massive clean headroom and takes pedals like a beast. Has two channels but both can be set for clean, so you could have one as a warm, jazzier clean and one a brighter, janglier clean.

If you want to go a bit cheaper, the Tweaker 40 has the same sort of deal going, but 6L6 instead of KT88s.

sage

twerk twerk thall
Reaction score
For what you've just described, pick up a used Genz-Benz Black Pearl 30. Footswitchable boost doesn't really act as a second channel, but can get you some extra grind on top of your clean sound. Stupidly versatile, comes stock with a beautiful Red Fang AlNiCo speaker, 30 watts of EL84 gorgeousness that can be switched down to 15 or 7 watts either by running 2 tubes or by running them in triode mode. 5 totally usable voicings. Accutronics spring reverb tank. Milspec double sided circuit boards. Without a doubt the single best value in a tube combo I ever owned. I paired it up with a closed 1x12 Vintage 30 cab for extra projection on stage and for that mixed speaker/cab type sound. It is a monster of an amp for what you've described that you want to do.

The amp is incredibly touch sensitive. It takes effects super well. I ran it with a boutique TS808 clone and a wah out front and a mess of time based effects in the loop. The thing has a gorgeous colour of its own but takes pedals extremely well. If I ever actually start acting my age and also go back to tubes, I will definitely buy one again. For now, it is still one of my go to profiles on my Kemper whenever I'm looking for clean textures.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
Egnater Tweaker 88. Just picked one up myself this past week on closeout at Guitar Center. Massive clean headroom and takes pedals like a beast. Has two channels but both can be set for clean, so you could have one as a warm, jazzier clean and one a brighter, janglier clean.

If you want to go a bit cheaper, the Tweaker 40 has the same sort of deal going, but 6L6 instead of KT88s.

This. The Tweaker series is sort of an unsung hero haha

I don't own one, but I've played on the 40 and 88 and loved them for both cleans and dirty. Plus the KT88 will give a more unique voicing since most amps are EL34/84 or 6L6

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
Roland JC120 isn't tube but ticks all your other boxes.

Fender Deluxe? Mesa Lonestar?

AlexEdwards

Reaction score
I really loved my 1st gen Carvin Legacy- the cleans are seriously gorgeous and the amp was super versatile. Looked dead sexy as well

wakjob

Reaction score
What ever happened to the Visual Sound Workhorse amp?
Wasn't like a preamp-less pedal platform amp?

sage

twerk twerk thall
Reaction score
^ Weird. Very cool idea. Probably also an awesome solution for guys who like modelers. Never even knew it existed and - poof- disco'd.

BillNephew

Reaction score
Carvin X100b. Get an older used with 6L6 power tubes though. The clean headroom on that is phenomenal, and will eagerly take any pedal you push through both the front and effects loop.

Reaction score

I wouldn't go tube unless it was a Silverface Twin Reverb or a reissue. Roland makes a amp specifically for Jazz called the Jazz Chorus JC-120 you might check out. I bought some gear from Hershel Yatovitz awhile back and its one of the amps he swears by for live shows.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Heard nothing but good things about the Carvin MTS3200's clean channel. You can also probably find an old Fender Silverface in that price range, which apparently people hated because they were impossible to break up. :lol:

nostealbucket

aint no gahdam woman
Reaction score

+1 for egnater

matt95hm

Reaction score
so i was checking out the egnater stuff and found the rebel 30, it has everything i want really, but does anybody have experience running pedals with it? the tone on that thing is amazing

Latest posts

')