Good Death and Melodeath albums

• Thread starter mindsmoothieoby
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
God Dethroned

If i had to pick ONE straight up melodic Death metal album out of ALL of them, it'd be Bloody Blasphemy. serpent king is so fucking amazing. "...Do you believe in jesus?"

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Adam Of Angels

The GAS Man
Reaction score
actually after hearing equilibrium i' d like to clarify, that i used the word folk to describe Simon n Garfunkel/ Joni Mitchell rather than elf party music. Somehow when anyone talks about folk metal these days I imagine they mean music that combines metal with folk tonality rather than major scales with VST instruments.....(rant over)

Maybe nobody ever told you that those goofs didn't create "folk" music, and that folk music is actually older than America itself. You're wrong.

The band in question, however, is a really cool band.

No, sir, you fail. Slaughter of the Soul is their best record.

This, plus some. The nonbeliever needs to leave.

lnname

ss.org awesome
Reaction score
Maybe nobody ever told you that those goofs didn't create "folk" music, and that folk music is actually older than America itself. You're wrong.
The band in question, however, is a really cool band.
This, plus some. The nonbeliever needs to leave.

as someone who pays in folk bands at folk festivals in europe i think i might know a little about what i'm talking about

The music that band are playing is just major scales on the instruments that would normally be played at a keighley (if you don't know this word google it, it will explain a lot). Folk music isn't older than America, America is a pair of continents (north and south), and its older than the human race.

Folk, however is a word used to describe traditional music from a vast array of different cultures across history. I just find it demeaning that a band that has so little to do with these cultures is called folk.

Would it piss you off if someone suddenly started playing really un-metal riffs through distortion to back some rapping and called it "rap-metal"? it certainly made most metalheads pretty mad back in the times of limp bizkit

I'm not saying that you shouldn't enjoy this particular band, or that you should try and find out more about folk music. I'm just saying that i hate the process of pigeon-holing of a vast musical history to little more than an arrangement of modern music.

If you want to argue this further, start a new thread, so we don't dissrupt this one. Honestly i probably wont post on it.:wavey:

p.s. hypocrisy are certainly worth a listen, specifically their song eraser, really mellow, really death

Adam Of Angels

The GAS Man
Reaction score
Well, this continent hasn't been called or claimed as America forever, and the band in question DOES have scandinavian folk music as a very apparent influence - I've heard much of their material, and trust me, its there. That said, what they call folk is older than America.

In any case, I hear you on the pigeon-holing - its stupid, but I also don't care. I don't take offense to labeling, as its just a result of small minded folk trying to categorize things to feel more secure about their selves and the world around them.

Good suggestion with Hypocrisy - what an awesome band. Their latest record happens to be their heaviest, and Peter is a genius, in my opinion.

Reaction score
No, sir, you fail. Slaughter of the Soul is their best record.
I see you don't know metal. Slaughter of the Soul is their sell out album. It sound sthin and sterle. The songs are boring and emotionless. "The Red in the Sky..." is a musican masterpiece. "With Fear I Kiss..." is probably one of the greatest melodic death metal albums of all time. By melodic death metal, I mean melodic death metal, not Swedish metalcore called melodeath.

Adam Of Angels

The GAS Man
Reaction score
I see you don't know metal. Slaughter of the Soul is their sell out album. It sound sthin and sterle. The songs are boring and emotionless. "The Red in the Sky..." is a musican masterpiece. "With Fear I Kiss..." is probably one of the greatest melodic death metal albums of all time. By melodic death metal, I mean melodic death metal, not Swedish metalcore called melodeath.

Although I agree that their other albums kick ass, I can see that YOU don't realize that metalcore is a bland ripoff of the stuff that At The Gates came out with. Also, this ripoff occurred a long time after 'Slaughter of the Soul', and it was called metalcore.

-TheWickerMan-

Reaction score
best of the best death metal

lykathea Aflame - elvenefris (tech/prog deathgrind)
death - symbolic (death)
death - the sound of perseverance (death)
gorod - neurotripsicks (tech death)
kronos - colossal titan strife (brutal death)
atheist - unquestionable presence (tech/prog death)
dismember - the god that never was (death)
opeth - still life (prog death)
cynic - focus (tech/prog death)
augury - concealed (tech/prog death)
cryptopsy - none so vile (tech death)
decapitated - nihilism (tech death)
gorguts - obscura (tech death)
cephalic carnage - anomalies (technical grind)
quo vadis - defiant imagination (tech melodic death)
intestine baalism - banquet in the darkness (melodic death)
gorod - process of a new decline (tech/prog death)

What woud u call it .

kalmah are extreme power metal or melodic death

also, CoB aren't death metal.

fretninjadave

Seven String Samurai
Reaction score
best of the best death metal

lykathea Aflame - elvenefris (tech/prog deathgrind)
death - symbolic (death)
death - the sound of perseverance (death)
gorod - neurotripsicks (tech death)
kronos - colossal titan strife (brutal death)
atheist - unquestionable presence (tech/prog death)
dismember - the god that never was (death)
opeth - still life (prog death)
cynic - focus (tech/prog death)
augury - concealed (tech/prog death)
cryptopsy - none so vile (tech death)
decapitated - nihilism (tech death)
gorguts - obscura (tech death)
cephalic carnage - anomalies (technical grind)
quo vadis - defiant imagination (tech melodic death)
intestine baalism - banquet in the darkness (melodic death)
gorod - process of a new decline (tech/prog death)

kalmah are extreme power metal or melodic death

also, CoB aren't death metal.

Whatever you wanna call it I still think its great.

darbdavys

Reaction score
on the folk metal front early opeth- particularly the still life album is a must, its a concept album, and it works best as a whole but i'll youtube my favourite song off it
excuse me, but what has Opeth got to do with folk metal?

also, didn't bother to go through the entire thread, but:
Edge of Sanity - Crimson
Bloodbath - Nightmares Made Flesh and/or The Fathomless Mastery
Spawn Of Possession - Noctambulant (Tech Death, but nice)

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score

Slaughter of the Soul was the only one i got into. All the other ones before that didn't do it for it me. Then again, i was never really into at the gates that much anyway.

')