Good Death and Melodeath albums

• Thread starter mindsmoothieoby
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
i'm going to check out equilibrium- that sounds cool

on the folk metal front early opeth- particularly the still life album is a must, its a concept album, and it works best as a whole but i'll youtube my favourite song off it

Gojira are not that melodic but they can never be mentioned enough- they've done a good variety of death metal genres, and have some really innovative riffs, here is the song that first got me into them, its literally unbelievable

if i go on i'lll probably dilute the message of early opeth/gojira. Whilst there are a few other bands that really innovated the death metal genre, there are no other bands, not even death, morbid angel or suffocation that i would compare them with

Opeth is not folk metal I don't think, or melodeath. But they're pretty damn awesome! They're my favorite band I think. :p

Adam Of Angels

The GAS Man
Reaction score
They have some folk-sounding stuff, they have melodies, and they have death metal... so I mean, in a vague way, you could call them those things, but it wouldn't be accurate. Calling Opeth anything but Opeth is wrong, in my opinion, haha

JeffFromMtl

Уродливый, но честны
Reaction score
I'm surprised nobody mentioned these guys. I don't listen to melodic death too much anymore, but I'll always dig a good Scarve album, they do it better than most :yesway:

Adam Of Angels

The GAS Man
Reaction score
^Yeah, they rule, and they have an awesome groove element to them - Dirk is a badass drummer. I know he's with Soilwork now, though, so I don't know if he's still with that band.

darbdavys

Reaction score
They have some folk-sounding stuff, they have melodies, and they have death metal... so I mean, in a vague way, you could call them those things, but it wouldn't be accurate. Calling Opeth anything but Opeth is wrong, in my opinion, haha
Opeth is progressive metal. Calling them like that isn't wrong :p

-TheWickerMan-

Reaction score

opeth are progressive death metal or extreme progressive metal.

they fuse non metal genres with death metal, mainly blues and acoustic for them.

-TheWickerMan-

Reaction score
its not like opeth done anything incredibly new or special (and i'm a huge fan). theres was loads of prog metal before them. they just got more attention.

-TheWickerMan-

Reaction score
first band that comes to mind are alley, they're extremely similar

and theres a lot more.
prog metal existed long before opeth, and prog death did too. i LOVE opeth but they aren't exactly pioneering a new genre

Reaction score
I like to think of them as "Akercocke without massive balls"

Now i remember why you got banned on some other sites. Here, why don't we just give you a couple of manowar discs, and you can go die for metal with Joey DeMaio. :yesway:

Akercoke without massive balls but with a much bigger brain, better chops, and more versatility. Opeth is art, they could be fucking eunuchs and still be amazing.

If you're so perplexed and awed by massive balls, that's kind of weird. Sorry, but we get it. Akerwhatever is heavier and more ballzy. We know. But that doesn't mean their better, or even comparable. The last thing fans of great music should do is argue about bands, and I'd expect a lot more from a forum moderator. >:O

So please chill.

Name bands that sound like Opeth. They're incredibly unique in what they do and how they do it.

But yeah. I can't find too many other bands that have a sound like Opeth and weren't influenced by them first, and I really want to!

Thanks to everyone for this thread and all these great suggestions, I really appreciate it. How many of these artists play seven string guitar? I should be getting mine soon. I know a lot of melodeath is Drop C or D standard though. I'm also looking for power metal bands with cooler riffs than the normal powerchord and lead stuff. Like Symphony X; Mike Romeo has some killer riffs, a lot of them are really hard to play. :/

EDIT: Alley is actually decent. But not as good as Opeth ^_^.

-TheWickerMan-

Reaction score
Akercoke without massive balls but with a much bigger brain, better chops, and more versatility. Opeth is art, they could be fucking eunuchs and still be amazing.

If you're so perplexed and awed by massive balls, that's kind of weird. Sorry, but we get it. Akerwhatever is heavier and more ballzy. We know. But that doesn't mean their better, or even comparable. The last thing fans of great music should do is argue about bands, and I'd expect a lot more from a forum moderator. >:O

So please chill.

first, all music that had thought put into it is is art, not just opeth
second, akercocke are smart and heavy, and they have soft moments too
third, weather their better or not is opinion
fourth, they're very compareable, both are part of the same sub sub genre.
fifth, saying Akerwhatever shows that you dont know them, making what you say irrelivant

I'm also looking for power metal bands with cooler riffs than the normal powerchord and lead stuff. Like Symphony X; Mike Romeo has some killer riffs, a lot of them are really hard to play. :/

EDIT: Alley is actually decent. But not as good as Opeth ^_^.

for the power metal try control denied, its chuck from deaths old side project

also try blind guardian

alley are great, i didn't say they were better, but they sound VERY similar

Reaction score
Your post made me laugh out loud. It was like:

bashbashtakeapartpoststopbeinganidiot, and by the way, take all these sick metal suggestions! Lol.

yingmin

Parker über alles
Reaction score
Okay, recommend some good Akercocke. From the few songs I've heard, I don't even think they deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as Opeth.

White Cluster

Gives Life Meaning
Reaction score
Devastation - "Idolatry" Death/Thrash
Morningside - "The Wind,The Trees and The Shadows Of The Past" Good Melodeath
Turisas - "The Varangian Way" Symphonic Viking Metal
Katatonia - "Brave Murder Day" Gothic/Death
Pestilence - "Consuming Impulse" Just awesome

Reaction score
Typically, metalheads who claim elitism on the basis of not understanding the difference between an opinion and a fact are a laughing stalk amongst people who don't share the same problem. You have an opinion, not "the truth", when talking about what is good metal and what isn't. Its music, man - chill out. So what if some young kids just got into metal and think that At The Gates is awesome because they heard 'Slaughter of the Soul.' Who the fuck cares? If it matters to you, you need to either get help or pick up a hobby. I've been listening to metal for a long time and 'Slaughter of the Soul' is one of my favorite albums. I dare you to call me a "noob" or whatever else it is you'd use to belittle somebody with your false sense of superiority. Although music means a lot to me, its a personal thing, not fucking politics.
"Only strong personalities can endure history, the weak ones are extinguished by it." You're not true. Why bother complain than just come to terms that you are no better than those listening to Britney Spears or whatever you kids are into these days. If everything is just merely an opinion, than everything is metal. By making it everything, it is also nothing, for it lacks attributes. Your logic is flawed.
Now i remember why you got banned on some other sites. Here, why don't we just give you a couple of manowar discs, and you can go die for metal with Joey DeMaio. :yesway:
Heh, banned from the metal forum that thinks nu metal and metalcore is metal, yet despises the real metal, and those that shed light on the truth. Very representative of our society as a whole. We gladly exclude such people.

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
"Only strong personalities can endure history, the weak ones are extinguished by it." You're not true. Why bother complain than just come to terms that you are no better than those listening to Britney Spears or whatever you kids are into these days. If everything is just merely an opinion, than everything is metal. By making it everything, it is also nothing, for it lacks attributes. Your logic is flawed. Heh, banned from the metal forum that thinks nu metal and metalcore is metal, yet despises the real metal, and those that shed light on the truth. Very representative of our society as a whole. We gladly exclude such people.

fuck off dude, people like you are not welcome here.

')