Good Death and Melodeath albums

• Thread starter mindsmoothieoby
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

-TheWickerMan-

Reaction score
And elitist is somebody who knows more than the general population about a given topic, but a person who preaches their opinion as fact is not an elitist. I know a lot about the genre as well, but me saying that In Flames is the best metal band in the world without question is not an example of me knowing something about the genre, its an opinion stated as a fact.

i agree

and thats why i dont mind being called an elitist, it just shows that i take a lot of interest in the music i love.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

B

Black Light

Are you serious? True metal? Get the fuck out of here, that's nonsense. If you don't understand what MUSIC is, then you may say something as absurd as what you said regarding "true metal", but for those of us that appreciate MUSIC as well as the MUSICAL GENRE CALLED METAL, metal can be discussed subjectively and openly. Now do us all a favor and leave.
Yes, metal is a genre. Learn what the genre is. Nu metal and metalcore/deathcore are not a part of this. True metal is real metal, not what morons consider metal.

Adam Of Angels

The GAS Man
Reaction score
Nu metal and metalcore/deathcore would not exist without a selection of metal bands that came before their existence.. this is to say that they are branches of metal. I don't know about nu metal, as its mostly just heavy alternative rock, but metalcore and deathcore are metal regardless of whether or not you consider them "worthy" of that "status". I don't like that stuff either, but its still metal. There's no definitive form of metal that can be called "true metal". I love Black Metal, but 99% of it is complete trash, in my opinion. The same can be said for every genre and sub-genre of music in my opinion.

ATThegates

Reaction score
I see you don't know metal. Slaughter of the Soul is their sell out album. It sound sthin and sterle. The songs are boring and emotionless. "The Red in the Sky..." is a musican masterpiece. "With Fear I Kiss..." is probably one of the greatest melodic death metal albums of all time. By melodic death metal, I mean melodic death metal, not Swedish metalcore called melodeath.

FAIL. I cant be fucked to "debate" with you. Your WRONG

Psycroptic, Centaurus- A, The Faceless...

B

Black Light

Nu metal and metalcore/deathcore would not exist without a selection of metal bands that came before their existence.. this is to say that they are branches of metal. I don't know about nu metal, as its mostly just heavy alternative rock, but metalcore and deathcore are metal regardless of whether or not you consider them "worthy" of that "status". I don't like that stuff either, but its still metal. There's no definitive form of metal that can be called "true metal". I love Black Metal, but 99% of it is complete trash, in my opinion. The same can be said for every genre and sub-genre of music in my opinion.
While I agree most music in any genre is garbage (newer metal in particular), you completely failed on the metal subject. Just become something is influenced by a genre, does not make it that genre. Rock and Roll for example was a mix of country and blues. Is it blues? No. Is it country? No.
FAIL. I cant be fucked to "debate" with you. Your WRONG
"YOU'RE WRONG, YOU'RE WRONG!" :lol:

DDDorian

Mantis Toboggan, M.D
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I see you clearly have no clue what you are talking about. Old ATG is considered true, so whatever opinion you have of "champagne tastes" is irrelevant. Furthermore, early ATG is considered groundbreaking for inventing the Göteborg sound, which unfortunately later became an abortion. I'm afraid your part about it being all terrible does not make any sense. If one does not defend his own opinion, what is the sense in him having an opinion in the first place? TheWickerMan is correct on nu metal and metalcore.

Considered true by who? If you wanna go by popular consensus then Slaughter Of The Soul wins by a mile, and anyone else that's trying to argue the merits of earlier At The Gates over older At The Gates like it makes any goddamn difference is a complete moron and not at all true to begin with. The differences are minimal and if you were nearly as true as you think you are you wouldn't have even made the point. You might as well be arguing the merits of Kill 'Em All over Master Of Puppets or Coke over fucking Pepsi - maybe you're right, maybe you're wrong, but if you wanna go on about what is and isn't true then you might wanna at least namecheck a band with some actual pedigree. Goodbye.

Adam Of Angels

The GAS Man
Reaction score
While I agree most music in any genre is garbage (newer metal in particular), you completely failed on the metal subject. Just become something is influenced by a genre, does not make it that genre. Rock and Roll for example was a mix of country and blues. Is it blues? No. Is it country? No. "YOU'RE WRONG, YOU'RE WRONG!" :lol:

Your example is correct, but your comments about my example are not - in this case, metalcore and deathcore are indeed metal. They fall under no other category.

Alright... fuck this, I'm done with this argument - its going nowhere, and its worthless to begin with. I'll stop before becoming a hypocrite.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
This thread turned from a decent recommendation thread to a fucking hilarious Manotroll thread :lol:

petereanima

Br00tal Bubbly Mofo
Reaction score

can we then permaban him? not because of his behaviour, but i think i'm not the only one who will not tolerate any Nazi-assholes here.

google "black sun" or "wewelsburg sun wheel":

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
yingmin said:
And on the off-chance that, despite all appearances, you aren't just an alternate account for metal_head666 (by the way, nice circa 1997 AOL screen name), then you're welcome to defend yourself, but I don't suspect I'd be wrong about you, either.

I know right? did he think we were stupid or what?

-TheWickerMan- said:
absolutely nothing wrong with metal elitism, i get called one all the time, i take it as a compliment. after all, elitists are the people that really know a lot about the genre they love.
yes, some jackasses take it too far and mindlessly insult people that don't like what they like but a lot aren't like that.

i'm not an elitist though as i listen to far too many genres.

I agree and I disagree. I know a lot about music and a lot about metal. sometimes I get frustrated that I can't talk to people about music on a level that I want to, but that's my own fault for researching it so much in the first place. knowing a lot about something is fine, but when you externalise it and make it other people's problem (which is ok when you're dealing with idiots with disregard for other people's opinions) then it becomes selfish and you deserve any flak you get for it.

DDDorian said:
Considered true by who? If you wanna go by popular consensus then Slaughter Of The Soul wins by a mile, and anyone else that's trying to argue the merits of earlier At The Gates over older At The Gates like it makes any goddamn difference is a complete moron and not at all true to begin with. The differences are minimal and if you were nearly as true as you think you are you wouldn't have even made the point. You might as well be arguing the merits of Kill 'Em All over Master Of Puppets or Coke over fucking Pepsi - maybe you're right, maybe you're wrong, but if you wanna go on about what is and isn't true then you might wanna at least namecheck a band with some actual pedigree. Goodbye.

owned!

-TheWickerMan-

Reaction score
Your example is correct, but your comments about my example are not - in this case, metalcore and deathcore are indeed metal. They fall under no other category.

they fall under hardcore, and since most of them have far more characteristics of their music in common with hardcore bands i would call them hardcore subgenres not metal subgenres

I agree and I disagree. I know a lot about music and a lot about metal. sometimes I get frustrated that I can't talk to people about music on a level that I want to, but that's my own fault for researching it so much in the first place. knowing a lot about something is fine, but when you externalise it and make it other people's problem (which is ok when you're dealing with idiots with disregard for other people's opinions) then it becomes selfish and you deserve any flak you get for it.

i get what you're saying but not everyone who get deep in a genre becomes an asshole and disregards everyones opinions. they most likely already were assholes

CrushingAnvil

Ironically enough, now in Jesus Land
Reaction score
For super badass rugged death metal:

Kataklysm - 'Sorcery & the Mystical Gate of Reincarnation'

Sylvain Houde faded into obscurity but this album is proof of his powerful and primal vocal abilities.

Cryptopsy - 'Blasphemy Made Flesh'

Lord Worm in the nineties. 'Nuff said.

Epicly heavy fucking slammers:

Morbid Angel - 'Gateways To Annihilation'

Song after song, you've got Erik Rutan and Trey Azagthoth delivering 7 string storytelling with Steve Tucker as the badass-fuckin'-narrator.

Hate Eternal - 'Conquering The Throne'

Jared Anderson on Vocals, Erik Rutan on guitars and Derek Roddy on drums? Hell fucking yes.

Do it. buy it.

Slaughter Of The Soul for the mother fucking win.

petereanima

Br00tal Bubbly Mofo
Reaction score
they fall under hardcore, and since most of them have far more characteristics of their music in common with hardcore bands i would call them hardcore subgenres not metal subgenres

i have to respectfully disagree here. against the common view on things (as dictated by Kerrang and their likes) - these genres have NOTHING in common with hardcore. many of them may dress like nowadays hardcore-scenesters, but we dont file the music by the dresscode of their players, do we?

the music, and lets face it, is mostly pure death metal, paired with breakdowns - or when talking about metalcore: a mixture of swedish death metal paired with thrash metal and breakdowns.

and "breakdowns" are not a characteristica of hardcore.

-TheWickerMan-

Reaction score
i have to respectfully disagree here. against the common view on things (as dictated by Kerrang and their likes) - these genres have NOTHING in common with hardcore. many of them may dress like nowadays hardcore-scenesters, but we dont file the music by the dresscode of their players, do we?

the music, and lets face it, is mostly pure death metal, paired with breakdowns - or when talking about metalcore: a mixture of swedish death metal paired with thrash metal and breakdowns.

and "breakdowns" are not a characteristica of hardcore.

typical hardcore screams. check
layered vocals. check
endless amounts of breakdowns. check
slow chuggah riffs. check
bass always following guitar. check
clean singing interludes. check

sorry but the only thing remotely death metal about deathcore is the drumms,a nd even then its weak

metalcore has the breakdowns and all the other characteristics, they just rip off loads of melodeath riffs

death metal:

death metal:

death metal:

NOT death metal

sorry but you need to listen to more death metal

petereanima

Br00tal Bubbly Mofo
Reaction score
typical hardcore screams. check
layered vocals. check
endless amounts of breakdowns. check
slow chuggah riffs. check
bass always following guitar. check
clean singing interludes. check

i dont know to which kind of "hardcore" you refer - but nothing of this list is characteristic for hardcore.

let me show you some different styles:

hardcore:

hardcore:

hardcore:

hardcore:

hardcore:

hardcore:

NOT hardcore: (and also not death metal, i agree)

sorry but you need to listen to more death metal
i highly doubt it is possible to listen to MORE death metal than i already do. :cool:

i would recommend you to do a research about "hardcore". :yesway:

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
can we then permaban him? not because of his behaviour, but i think i'm not the only one who will not tolerate any Nazi-assholes here.

google "black sun" or "wewelsburg sun wheel":

I set my location as "Black Sun Dimension" in reference to the fact that I am currently playing through Wolfenstein on the 360, a focking mint game :hbang:

I reccomend everyone with a 360 play this game, and then listen to "Slaughter of the Soul" afterwards.

Gorod's new album is also some awesome melodeath, leaning closer to death then melo though.

HamBungler

Lord Zorgatron
Reaction score
i dont know to which kind of "hardcore" you refer - but nothing of this list is characteristic for hardcore.

let me show you some different styles:

hardcore:

hardcore:

hardcore:

hardcore:

hardcore:

hardcore:

NOT hardcore: (and also not death metal, i agree)

i highly doubt it is possible to listen to MORE death metal than i already do. :cool:

i would recommend you to do a research about "hardcore". :yesway:

^ This

Adam Of Angels

The GAS Man
Reaction score
^ That, again.

Also, going back to the Opeth comments - yes there has been a lot of progressive/prog metal/prog death, but nobody really SOUNDS like Opeth. If you hear an Opeth song, you know precisely who it is. What you're saying is like saying that Steve Vai doesn't sound unique because there's been many insane shredders.

')