Good Down Tuning Guitars

• Thread starter plecostoman
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Durero

prototyping...
Contributor
Reaction score
IMO, for down-tuning, the longer the scale the better. I'd try any baritone scale such as that Ibanez Mike Mushock (sp?) sig model - it's built especially for low tunings.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HotRodded7321

Reaction score
IMO, for down-tuning, the longer the scale the better. I'd try any baritone scale such as that Ibanez Mike Mushock (sp?) sig model - it's built especially for low tunings.

:agreed: Mushok model is bad ass for down tuning. But for drop C, I dunno...that's a strange tuning as far as the tone and playability you'll want out of it. It's got a well-rounded sound, which is why I think so many bands use it.

I think for drop C the MMM1 would be a little too bassy. For lower tunings it's amazing, though. Just my opinion, however...it may work out fine.

Durero

prototyping...
Contributor
Reaction score
I think for drop C the MMM1 would be a little too bassy. For lower tunings it's amazing, though. Just my opinion, however...it may work out fine.
From my experiences with extended-scales I'm sure the MMM1 used in drop-C would have the opposite effect - much less rumbly or bass-heavy than a regular 25.5" scale guitar in the same tuning. The longer scale would go better with slightly thinner strings which better preserves the higher frequency parts of the sound. Longer scales naturally sound clearer for the low notes.

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
or they fall off your leg when you sit down, have shitty fret access and weigh 14 pounds

I completely disagree with the first two points and can assume that you've never played one before... For the third one... yeah, they are pretty heavy. I think Les Pauls are one of the most comfortable bodyshapes. Never fallen off my leg before. They're shaped perfectly. Now a V... that slides off your leg when you sit down. My RG1527 has better fret access than either of my Les Pauls, but that doesn't mean my Les Pauls don't have good fret access. It's just that my RG1527 is a 25.5" scale (the Les Paul being 24.75") with jumbo frets and 24 frets (the LP having 22).

DSS3

Banned
Reaction score
I've never liked short scales for downtuning... but I've never liked short scales, period, for the most part. YMMV.

plecostoman

Reaction score
The two guitars I've been downtuning are a BC Rich NJ Beast with 9's and a Les Paul Special 2 with 10's. Neither of them are great guitars but they're all I have as of late.

HotRodded7321

Reaction score
From my experiences with extended-scales I'm sure the MMM1 used in drop-C would have the opposite effect - much less rumbly or bass-heavy than a regular 25.5" scale guitar in the same tuning. The longer scale would go better with slightly thinner strings which better preserves the higher frequency parts of the sound. Longer scales naturally sound clearer for the low notes.

I was thinking more along the lines of the woods they used and the pickups...but i might have to look into that...it actually sounds like it would work out well.

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
The two guitars I've been downtuning are a BC Rich NJ Beast with 9's and a Les Paul Special 2 with 10's. Neither of them are great guitars but they're all I have as of late.

I assume that's an Epiphone LP. If so, then you need to get good pickups put in that thing, since the Epiphones don't have very good stock pickups.

plecostoman

Reaction score
Yeah, it's an Epiphone. I'm not puting any money into it, because I really don't like it at all. I bought it off a friend for $90 a while back.

So since the locking nuts are a big plus with downtuned guitars, would anyone reccomend a Razorback?

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
naren, I've played more LPs than I would like to think about...mainly because I was going to buy one a while ago, so I tried about 10 thousand or so of them, they do have better balance than the SG, but it still sucks compared to a strat or anything else, really. Fret access is mediocre, I don't really have problems on 22 fret LPs, but on 24 fret ones it just gets bothersome and bothersome is not good.

Anyway, everybody is different so ymmv.

For baritones, ESP's VB400 rules, period.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Les Paul's are heavy, but other than that, I've always found mine extremely comfortable, whether standing up or sitting down. The upper-fret access is an issue, but I don't really look at them as shredding instruments, so that isn't really a major problem for me. I certainly wouldn't say they are over-rated, but Gibsons on the whole are notoriously hit-and-miss; if you get a good Les Paul, hang onto it for dear life, as there's nothing else like it.

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
used LPs = awesome

fwiw, just get an ESP, lol...

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
Nobody has mentioned a Jackson yet? I do love my Jacksons... my SLSMG in drop C sound sweet and I'm only using 11-49s

Hellbound

€£¥€£¥€£¥€£•
Reaction score
Well that was why I was recommending to try out the ESP Eclipse. Much lighter than a Les Paul (from what I remember) and same shape just a thinner body. God do I love them especially the quilted maple top ones.:cool:

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
I dont know why its such an issue. Any quality built instrument from any company will meet your standards of staying in tune and playing well, regardless of what you tune it to.

HotRodded7321

Reaction score
I dont know why its such an issue. Any quality built instrument from any company will meet your standards of staying in tune and playing well, regardless of what you tune it to.

:agreed: 'Tis the truth....I can downtune a Fender Strat to drop C with the right strings and it will sound kick ass...In fact, there's a band here in WA called Severus...their lead player uses a Fender strat H-S-S config. with passive pickups. They play in drop C and that guy has KILLER tone!

Check em out on Myspace some time, you'll see what I mean.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
:agreed: 'Tis the truth....I can downtune a Fender Strat to drop C with the right strings and it will sound kick ass...In fact, there's a band here in WA called Severus...their lead player uses a Fender strat H-S-S config. with passive pickups. They play in drop C and that guy has KILLER tone!

Check em out on Myspace some time, you'll see what I mean.

If you listen to Cryptopsy.. every record with Jon Levassuier on(all except Once Was Not)... he uses a Fender Fat Strat. Tuned to B. and its Br00-fucking-tal.

None So Vile, the most classic of all Cryptopsy.. is a Fender Strat.

Steve

I'm a Happy Camper.
Reaction score
I just bought a Jem7VBK, tuned to Drop C - Stringed at 10 13 17 30 42 52... and it sounds and plays the tits!

[action=Steve]would love to have a Les Paul[/action]

HotRodded7321

Reaction score
In the end, it's all about how you put it together, and how you play it. Find a comfy set of strings, a pickup that suits your style, and a guitar that FEELS right. Fuck the brand, price, and what everyone else says about it. Guitars aren't like cars...it doesn't matter what it looks like, it's all you.

Korbain

Stay negative!
Reaction score
mike mushoks ibanez sig guitar! you can tune that fucker down unbelievably low, my mates got it. It sounds unreal too. Very under-rated guitar :hbang:

')