Good Down Tuning Guitars

• Thread starter plecostoman
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

plecostoman

Reaction score
Can anyone here point me in the direction of some six string guitars that play well downtuned?

I usually tune my 6th string down to C and the rest of them one whole step down.

I need something that's not going to go out of tune after every song. Thanks for any help.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ibzrg1570

Reaction score
pretty much anything could work, it all depends on how you play, what tuners you have, type of bridge you prefer (floyd or hardtail), etc. i have a floating bridge on my ibanez rg1570 but it has locking nut so it doesn't go out of tune even when i play around with the trem, whereas my rg7321 with a hardtail goes out of tune quite easily if i bend because the tuners suck.

Hellbound

€£¥€£¥€£¥€£•
Reaction score
I love using my Les Paul for down tuning it sounds lovely. I did go with thicker strings I believe they are 12's.....but I could have probably went with 11's. I have no problems with drop c at all....I've actually gone all the way down to drop Bflat still not too bad.

plecostoman

Reaction score
I really like Les Paul but I didn't think they'd be great for downtuning. Thanks for the tip.

Anyone here have any experience with downtuning a Fernandes? I'm looking to try out a Monterey Elite if I can find a dealer anywhere nearby.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Les Pauls rock, but if you go too low, in my experience, they start to get a little muddy. Drop C# rocks on mine, although sometimes I go lower when I really want to move earth!
For C standard, I've gotten great results with a Yamaha Drop 6 guitar (25.75 inch scale IIRC) strung 11-56.

playstopause

Contributor
Reaction score
pretty much anything could work, it all depends on how you play, what tuners you have, type of bridge you prefer (floyd or hardtail), etc. .
^
Like he said.

It's not really about the guitar in itself or a specific brand (unless that guitar is a piece of crap).
It's more about it's components. Mainly : the strings, the bride, the tuners, scale length.

Personnaly, i go with heavier strings (like 11-54) and locking tuners are a big +. Some will argue that a fixed bridge is better in that regard. It's all a question of personal taste and how/what you play.
Personaly, floating or fixed bridge does just the same to me (not goin' out of tune).
Also, you might wanna look for baritones, wich will offer you very low tunings without the lack of definition in sound.

Hellbound

€£¥€£¥€£¥€£•
Reaction score
I really like Les Paul but I didn't think they'd be great for downtuning. Thanks for the tip.

If you've ever noticed alot of metal and nu-metal bands use Les Pauls for drop tuning. Now I'm not talking like drop A and G.lol but for drop D or C or even B flat like "In Flames" uses correct me if I'm wrong one of the guitarists uses a Les Paul....they are perfect, although you will probably have to shave the nut to handle thicker strings which is easy to do. Les Paul is overall one hell of an axe but I would highly suggest going with an ESP Eclipse which is similar to a Les Paul just thinner and tricked out with emg 81's. Lovely guitar I'm still considering buying one. The LTD version is much cheaper than the ESP I've played both and yeah the ESP did seem better but I still loved the LTD as well. They come in some pretty wild colors as well.....but this is just a suggestion there are numerous 6 stringers out there that will handle drop tuning well.

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score

Anyone here have any experience with downtuning a Fernandes? I'm looking to try out a Monterey Elite if I can find a dealer anywhere nearby.

They're awesome for down-tuning. 1 step down, drop C, drop B -- all sound great on a Les Paul.

Like others have said, it really has nothing to do with your guitar but with your strings (gauge, brand, etc.). Your pickups also influence the sound a lot, but you can downtune on any guitar. I mean, you could take what a lot of people refer to as "THE best guitar in the world for downtuning" and use 8-38 gauge strings tuned to B standard and they'll sound like absolute shit.

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
My V is the epitome of tightness, aggressiveness and clarity...so ESP Vs FTW! lol

I think pickups have more to do with "downtuning worthiness" and amps too, if you have pickups which have a somewhat flubbier low end they won't do well with downtuning at all, but pickups like the EMG81 and SD Distortion/Full Shred are great for downtuning.

HotRodded7321

Reaction score
In Flames uses ESP's I believe...and as far as those go...the Viper kicks ass for drop tunings. It's the only one I've played, but it was impressive none the less. I don't really care for Les Pauls...I don't disagree that they have fat tone to them, but I just can't get into em for some reason.

Latest posts

')