Good high gain practice amp

• Thread starter Dethfield
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
+1 on Blackstar HT-5 - fantastic tones and only get better as you turn up. Replace the 12AX7 w/ a Tung-Sol or Jan-Philips and you'll get much richer saturation. However, you may find even this to loud as it can easily push 120dB when cranked.

I'm considering a Peavey Vypyr myself for even quieter practice. The High Gain models sound damn nice on it, particularly the Recto and 6505 models.

ryanlieksguitar

Djent pun here
Reaction score
+1 on Blackstar HT-5 - fantastic tones and only get better as you turn up. Replace the 12AX7 w/ a Tung-Sol or Jan-Philips and you'll get much richer saturation. However, you may find even this to loud as it can easily push 120dB when cranked.

I'm considering a Peavey Vypyr myself for even quieter practice. The High Gain models sound damn nice on it, particularly the Recto and 6505 models.

For metal tones, I find it gets very shrill and scratchy at the highest volumes. Probably just my ears don't like 1 little speaker :p

jllozano

Reaction score
Peavey Bandit!!! :D red stripe version if you can get it... try boosting it also

Gren

Reaction score
+1 for the Peavey Bandit suggestions, I've been jamming on them forever. I used to play on my high school's 112 regularly (silver stripe) and on a buddy's 112 (newer red stripe model). Both sound excellent.

They can be picked up for cheap as chips, I'm actually keeping an eye out for one for myself.

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
For metal tones, I find it gets very shrill and scratchy at the highest volumes. Probably just my ears don't like 1 little speaker :p

Yea, the 10" is not bad, but is made of fail for 7 strings. Its not too bad paired with my Egnater Tweaker's 1x12 (G12H30) and is actually best when Eq'd for leads setup like that. For the br00tz, it needs the 4x12. You definitely need to re-EQ the amp as you increase volume, you have to essentially think of it as a 100 watt stack, which also needs to be re-EQ'd as you approach the amp's upper band.

Then again, I keep treble at 6 or less (I've never been too keen on the buzzsaw metal tones).

brodjentle

Reaction score
mesa boogie rocket 44 or mesa boogie subway rocket reverb which is the 20 watt version they are both sick as shit and sound amazing

chaosxcomplex

Reaction score
Just get a bigger Cube...I have the 30 watt edition, and it fucking rules. Everyone who plays it wants one, and I use it to record...sounds awesome just plugged straight into the lexicon interface I have. Can't go wrong...very lightweight too.

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
I really can't fault an HT-5 with a Sovtek or Tung-sol. Played a friend of mine's through a 2 x 12 and it absolutely blew me away....even better boosted....

Failing that a replacement Cube is a sensible option, Line6 POD or GSP 1101 + phones.......perhaps even the world of second hand bargains will open up some options.

In any eventuallity - go play and find something that truly makes you smile :)

Chumple Spuzz

Righteous Dude
Reaction score
i use my blackstar ht-5 for both a practice amp and live performance. its very versatile for volume, i can get a very good high gain tone at low volume in my bedroom, but if i crank it i can jam with a full band. i've even played shows with it, often times un mic'ed, just going through 2 ten inch speakers, and it worked great. but if you want a really true HIGH GAIN sort of tone, its not quite as ferocious as say, a peavey 6505+. and the peavey vypyr is pretty cheap, and offers good cleans and pretty great modeling of the 6505 and other good high gain amps (triple rec's, diezels, kranks). that may be more fun to mess around with, too.

')