Good metalcore/djent song to learn for beginner/intermediate?

• Thread starter landmvrks
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

landmvrks

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm looking for songs that are fun to play, but not too difficult. I'd say I'm on the cusp of beginner/intermediate, so around that level. Bands like Invent Animate, Thornhill, Erra, Currents, etc. Not saying I'm up to their level playing wise, but that's the kind of music I'm talking about. Appreciate any suggestions!

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

feilong29

Reaction score
Maaaaany years ago, I covered a song called 68 by the band Haste the Day. It's kick ass, easy and I think you could pick it up by ear. Here is my video back from my hay-day

https://soundcloud.com/johnsrecordings/68-haste-the-day-instrumental-cover-1

Some other suggestions would be anything by As I Lay Dying from their Shadows Are Security album (Confined is fun and easy), Bullet For My Valentine - The Poison album (Seven Days or I'm Suffocating Under Words of Sorrow), Atreyu (Older Songs - Ex's and Oh's, Bleeding Mascara, ). I am not familiar with your references so I apologize if these are not in the same lane. But a few more suggestions: Silent Civilian https://soundcloud.com/kr0mest4rr/silent-civilian-the-song-remains-un-named

And then a super classic is Mendeed - The Reaper Waits

And shoot, just pick any Killswitch Engage song pre-2009, The End of Heartache is a classic song that is pretty easy https://soundcloud.com/killswitch-engage/the-end-of-heartache, and Declaration will challenge you a bit

Good luck!

Masoo2

Reaction score
Not sure what kind of guitar you have or tunings you're willing to play in but here's a few songs of varying difficulty without getting too technical or difficult that I love to play. Some are 6 string, some are 7 string, some are 8 string. Bolded are the easier tracks of the bunch, though you still may find them a bit challenging rhythmically.

• ERRA - Pulse, Dreamcatcher (Drop A#, Drop Ab)

• Abstracts - Twilight (Drop C)

• Chelsea Grin - Don't Ask Don't Tell, Recreant (Drop A)

• Periphery - Facepalm Mute, Icarus Lives, New Groove, Ragnarok, Scarlet (Drop Ab, Ragnarok tunes the low Ab down to F#, Scarlet is CGCEGD)

• The Faceless - Planetary Duality 1, Autotheist Movement 1 (Drop C)

• Born of Osiris - Machine, Exhilarate (Drop C, Drop G)

• Northlane - Rot, Genesis/Scarab (Drop A# with a low F)

• Whitechapel - The Saw Is The Law, I Dementia (Drop G)

• TesseracT - the whole Of Matter trilogy, Nocturne, Dystopia (AEADEAD)

• Novelists - Voyager (Drop A)

• Volumes - Feels Good, The Mixture (Drop F#)

• Fit For A King - The End's Beginning/Pissed Off, Dead Memory (Drop A# with a low F#, Drop A#)

• Silent Planet - Orphan (Drop Ab)

• Counterparts - Burn, Witness (Drop C)

• Architects - Naysayer, Broken Cross (weird just google it)

• Bulb - Breeze (Drop C)

• Spiritbox - Holy Roller (Drop F# but it pitches down a bit during the breakdown)

• Polaris - Regress, Voiceless, Hold You Under (Drop C# with a low Ab)

• Fit For An Autopsy - Do You See Him, Saltwound, Flatlining (Drop A, Flatlining is Drop G)

• Monuments - I The Creator, Origin of Escape (TesseracT tuning but take it one halfstep higher, add a low F for Origin of Escape)
  • Alpha Wolf - Akudama (Drop G)

• Dealer - Grotesque (Drop F)

Some of these are more deathcorey than what you're looking for but close enough. None of them are overly difficult, but some may challenge you due to odd string skipping or larger chords which you may not be used to playing at any real speed.

Definitely second the Killswitch Engage recommendation, Holy Diver or In Due Time would be perfect. Danger:Wildman by The Devil Wears Prada too.

I haven't encountered any Invent Animate songs that are overly simple to play though one day I'll get around to learning one or two. Same for Currents.

Thornhill's Reptile and Where We Go When We Die have easy enough intros that are REALLY fun to play but I haven't had the chance to go through and learn the songs completely so I couldn't say how easy they are. Both are Drop F#.

Hope this helps some. It took me a while to find songs in this style that I could "handle" early on so I've been developing a big playlist of them for easy reference and these stood out as being worth recommending.

Last edited:

couverdure

No Gear Day
Reaction score
The two new Architects songs are very simple to play. Animals is in C# standard, and Black Lungs is in the same tuning but the lowest string tuned to G# (similar to 7-string standard minus the 6th string. I learned the riff tuned up in BADGBE).

Blackspell-666

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Not sure what kind of guitar you have or tunings you're willing to play in but here's a few songs of varying difficulty without getting too technical or difficult that I love to play. Some are 6 string, some are 7 string, some are 8 string. Bolded are the easier tracks of the bunch, though you still may find them a bit challenging rhythmically.

• ERRA - Pulse, Dreamcatcher (Drop A#, Drop Ab)

• Abstracts - Twilight (Drop C)

• Chelsea Grin - Don't Ask Don't Tell, Recreant (Drop A)

• Periphery - Facepalm Mute, Icarus Lives, New Groove, Ragnarok, Scarlet (Drop Ab, Ragnarok tunes the low Ab down to F#, Scarlet is CGCEGD)

• The Faceless - Planetary Duality 1, Autotheist Movement 1 (Drop C)

• Born of Osiris - Machine, Exhilarate (Drop C, Drop G)

• Northlane - Rot, Genesis/Scarab (Drop A# with a low F)

• Whitechapel - The Saw Is The Law, I Dementia (Drop G)

• TesseracT - the whole Of Matter trilogy, Nocturne, Dystopia (AEADEAD)

• Novelists - Voyager (Drop A)

• Volumes - Feels Good, The Mixture (Drop F#)

• Fit For A King - The End's Beginning/Pissed Off, Dead Memory (Drop A# with a low F#, Drop A#)

• Silent Planet - Orphan (Drop Ab)

• Counterparts - Burn, Witness (Drop C)

• Architects - Naysayer, Broken Cross (weird just google it)

• Bulb - Breeze (Drop C)

• Spiritbox - Holy Roller (Drop F# but it pitches down a bit during the breakdown)

• Polaris - Regress, Voiceless, Hold You Under (Drop C# with a low Ab)

• Fit For An Autopsy - Do You See Him, Saltwound, Flatlining (Drop A, Flatlining is Drop G)

• Monuments - I The Creator, Origin of Escape (TesseracT tuning but take it one halfstep higher, add a low F for Origin of Escape)
  • Alpha Wolf - Akudama (Drop G)

• Dealer - Grotesque (Drop F)

Some of these are more deathcorey than what you're looking for but close enough. None of them are overly difficult, but some may challenge you due to odd string skipping or larger chords which you may not be used to playing at any real speed.

Definitely second the Killswitch Engage recommendation, Holy Diver or In Due Time would be perfect. Danger:Wildman by The Devil Wears Prada too.

I haven't encountered any Invent Animate songs that are overly simple to play though one day I'll get around to learning one or two. Same for Currents.

Thornhill's Reptile and Where We Go When We Die have easy enough intros that are REALLY fun to play but I haven't had the chance to go through and learn the songs completely so I couldn't say how easy they are. Both are Drop F#.

Hope this helps some. It took me a while to find songs in this style that I could "handle" early on so I've been developing a big playlist of them for easy reference and these stood out as being worth recommending.
Thanks for sharing. This is a clever list. I would definitely try to master every songs.

drb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've been obsessed with Bleed From Within recently, their song Pathfinder is quite easy and fun to play in drop B (B F# B E G# C#).

I learned it by watching this playthrough:

And this guy did tabs that are mostly accurate but need a bit of interpretation with the above playthrough:

You can even trial the Archetype: Gojira plugin for their presets although it's not that hard to get the sound from other plugins/modellers I imagine.

Edit: didn't realise this thread had been raised from the dead, oops!

')