Good picking technique: pointers for a good foundation?

• Thread starter octatoan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

octatoan

Acoustic tech-death!
Reaction score
Hi SSO. I'd really like some recommendations on videos/people/whatever I can look at for a really solid foundation in picking. I've never really flatpicked seriously (I've been more of a fingerpicker who occasionally dabbled in flatpicking).

I'm actually interested in nearly everything, though a list of things I'm interested in would go (from most to least): sweep picking, hybrid picking, alternate/economy picking, then everything else.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

will_shred

Wannabe audio engineer
Reaction score
Check out some of Paul Gilbert's instructional videos, Jeff Loomis cited his alternate picking technique to Paul Gilbert's old instructional videos from the 80's. This is a great video, and some minor scale stuff that I was actually just working on myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gu5IsXKLGvE

Mik3D23

things
Reaction score
Thanks!
I'd also like some resources on how to grip a pick properly. :)

There's different ways of course, and I'm sure some work better for other people. But I think a lot of people would agree the typical way of holding with the side of your index finger and the pad of your thumb is the best way. (As opposed to pinching with the pads or both fingers)

For example:
Pickhold1.jpg

how_to_hold_guiatar_pick.jpg

As for the subject of your thread, the best advice I can give is to not rush things, and to focus on picking as efficiently as possible. It is all too easy to want to play a song at full speed, and not worry about taking the time to let your muscles develop properly. This of course will cause you to tense up constantly, will probably make you very sloppy, and not allow any control of picking dynamics.

As far as specific techniques go, you can analyze 5 different guitarists' picking techniques, and each one will likely be different than the next. There is (typically) no right or wrong way to do things, and it's possible one technique could work great for you but not for me. Try some different ways and see what feels right for you

80H

Banned
Reaction score
Literally getting called a djent hipster, Californ
Angle + Force + Posture Mechanics + Position + Break

You have the angle, which is how you hold the pick relative to the horizontal axis that the string creates.

You have the force, which is how much energy is being expended to strike the string.

You have posture mechanics, which are how you move your body to move force into the pick.

You have position, which is where the pick crosses the string relative to the bridge (affects tone primarily but can also make certain parts easier, such as slowly moving up the fretboard to minimize the distance between your tapping finger(s) and the fret in question).

You have break, which is how you release the pick from the string.

Each of these will affect your tone, comfort and speed. You do not have to hold the pick in the same position the entire time as some one-trick ponies would have you to believe. A great example of this is in Joe Satriani: the guy has a ton of ways that he moves the pick to create different sounds and voicings. He is also, oddly enough, often cited for his ability to make the guitar sing with his own unique voicing(s). This is not a coincidence.

The only problem with tinkering with the aforementioned elements of pick attacks is that you can easily develop an RSI if you don't stretch and stay limber as often as possible. Many people simply do not stretch properly, stay hydrated or maintain a healthy diet. Then, when their arm starts to develop mild-to-severe pain, they blame their technique, or something someone told them, or their genetics, and perhaps those were responsible. I don't subscribe to those beliefs though, and my wrist is nice and limber, my grip strength is always a week or two of r&r away from 100% and I do not have an entirely static wrist position. Sometimes you wanna go CHHHHUHG instead of CHUG, and you can either make the sacrifice and test the technique (risk to your long-term health) or you can just chug. Your body, your call. If anyone tells you there is 1 true perfect way to pick, do everyone a favor and ignore them into obscurity.

p.s. as relaxed as possible as long as you can still get it done. Tension is necessary sometimes, additional tension is self-harm

OmegaSlayer

Reaction score
I subscribe every single word 80H said and to the Paulo Gilberto vid that Will posted, but I want to add a little something.

Set your goal.
It's probably useless to concentrate on fast picking if you want to play Pink Floyd :)
While I support the idea that studying incredibly difficult stuff from the beginning, setting your metronome at a slow considerate speed, is GOOD...I also say that you need a reward and feel accomplished.
Playing a Paul Gilbert song might take you years, while if you focus on...Slash, for example, you'll be able to get it quicker and you'll feel that you have done something.

Most of the time, even when you play exercises, you won't realize how good you got.
Remember to take one day in your week studies to play only on some backing track, relax, let your hands go where they feel and enjoy what you learned.

Take the time to experiment with your pick.
Play flat, play at different angles, dip your pick more or less, tighten your grip on the pick or made it more loose, add palm mute, harder, softer, closer to or further from the bridge combine these things and listen to what you do and how your sound change.
WATCH YOUR RIGHT HAND.
Your brain will make the connection between the sound you want to achieve sound wise without you realizing it.

To say it in Marty Friedman's words: "Fvck your exercises", if you have a pattern that is downstroke, upstroke, down, up, down, up and so on and you master it, drop the speed on metronome and start the pattern with an upstroke for example and keep the alternate picking going.

Relax, if you're consistent and focused you'll get where you want to be.

Be picky and draconian on your study method, but remember that there are no exact rules in how you play, and that the more you play by the rules, the more you're going to sound like 1 million guitar players.

Good luck

KJGaruda

Likes a good riff
Reaction score
I'm actually interested in nearly everything, though a list of things I'm interested in would go (from most to least): sweep picking, hybrid picking, alternate/economy picking, then everything else.

It's been said already, but it can't be stressed enough that slow and steady wins the race. Also, stay patient with what you're learning.

Practice with a metronome running at whatever lower bpm you need to set it at; play slow enough where the song/scale/etc still sounds like it makes sense, but at a comfortable enough speed for development. Play it a couple times without making a mistake, (I go for about 5 or 10x) and then stop. Go do something else, doesn't even need to be guitar related. After the break, come back and give it another shot with the same method. You're basically just looking for repetition and familiarity. When you're done for the day, get a good nights rest so your brain can decompress and then do it all again the next day. You'll notice it should be easier to play as the days go by.

From there, increase the metronome speed to what you're comfortable with and continue practice until you can get it up to the speed you're looking for. This is my tried and true method for unfamiliar sweeping shapes and crazy string-skipping sections, it works like a charm, and it's pretty cool to consciously see/feel your progress too.

mr_rainmaker

Resident Cherokee
Reaction score
economy of motion(small motions when single string picking,its almost a scratch and not a hack at the string),and don`t be afraid to choke up on the pick,and get a BIG handful of picks you may go though a dozen or more looking for the pick you are most comfortable with.

Maniacal

Reaction score
Relaxed grip
No tension in the arm, shoulder and neck
Practice small movements not just on a single string, but when crossing strings
Avoid dipping into the string unless you want to accent/end a phase with a bend/vibrato
Focus on playing for long periods of time at a slower tempo - this will allow you to concentrate on the points above
Dedicate some time to speed and burst exercises - you can do this with scale sequences and riffs
Work on a repertoire of difficult picking pieces - classical pieces are good for this, as are death metal riffs as well as all the generic shred stuff

Mik3D23

things
Reaction score
Some Rodrigo y Gabriela might be good for picking development on acoustic..

Looks like he uses some sweep picking in that song. I like to play it alternate picked but that definitely makes it sound different..

Not sure if it's too much at once but if so, as stated before just slow it way down and take your time with it

stuglue

Reaction score
Few tips for you. Don't hold the pick so that it's perfectly parallel to the string, angle the pick as it'll cut through the string with less resistance. Don't grip the pick, keep it loose and let the pick have a bit of wiggle room, this will in fact open up the tone.

Ante Skific

Reaction score
Hey, I have recently started to focus much more than before on the upstrokes, because I noticed that my downstrokes are a lot faster and stronger than downstrokes.

So I practiced riffs, scales and licks only with upstrokes and very soon noticed that even the downstrokes and whole alternate picking started to get much faster.

HungryGuitarStudent

Reaction score
As far as DVD and tab ressources go, check out John Petrucci's Rock Discipline DVD (released in 2000, it's about 40$ on Amazon). The beginning exercises may help you a lot with alternate picking, string skipping and sweep picking. I started playing guitar at around 1990, but this DVD (and playing Dream Theater's Images and Words and Awake albums) clearly improved my playing. I don't remember who said it, but don't forget to give yourself a reward for your hard work. In other words, discipline will make you improve, having fun will keep you motivated. A set of realistic goals (for example, songs) along your progression will help you feel like you're getting somewhere. Sorry if I'm repeating what was already said.

')