Good rack mount multi-fx units? (that won't make me go broke)

eascott333

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Been looking to get my feet wet with rack mount effects processors and I don't really have the money to drop on a Helix or AFX III, would the original Axe FX (i.e. Axe FX I, Axe FX Ultra) be worth getting so could get familiar with the whole idea? I intend use them solely for 4 cable method type setups.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, I still have my old AxeFx Standard and Ultra, the effects totally hold up. Considering how cheap they are now, it's a great deal. The interface is a bit "dated" to say the least, but it's not terrible and you can always hook it up to a laptop or something and use Axe Edit.

Even cheaper are older TC units like the G-Major or even G-Force. Not as flexible or polished as the Axe, IMO, but still really solid if you're looking strictly for certain verb or delay tones.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Effects only or amp sims as well?

For effects you can't beat the old Rocktron units. Replifex, Intellifex, Xpression, etc. I got an Axe 3 but still keep a Replifex on hand. :lol: The G-Force goes pretty cheap.

Otherwise if you need amp sims, Digitech GSP1101 and the old Axe FXs still sound good for how cheap they go.

Last edited:

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Effects only or amp sims as well?

For effects you can't beat the old Rocktron units. Replifex, Intellifex, Xpression, etc. I got an Axe 3 but still keep a Replifex on hand. :lol: The G-Force and the G-System (it's actually rackmountable) goes pretty cheap.

Otherwise if you need amp sims, Digitech GSP1101 and the old Axe FXs still sound good for how cheap they go.

Stay away from the G-System, the ADA converters were outdated like 20 years ago, and it's one of the few units that really doesn't hold up. Which is weird because it was supposed to be an upgrade to the G-Force. The Nova was way better, but not rack.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Stay away from the G-System, the ADA converters were outdated like 20 years ago, and it's one of the few units that really doesn't hold up. Which is weird because it was supposed to be an upgrade to the G-Force. The Nova was way better, but not rack.

I thought they updated everything after the IB modified one was released?

eascott333

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I intend to use it solely for effects, I like my 6505 too much to just use it as a glorified power amp. Also, would I be able to run analogue pedals such as drive pedals with an Axe FX standard/ultra? The more I research the more likely it seems I'll settle with one of the two.

eascott333

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The pedals I plan to use are a Fortin Grind and an EHX Soul Food

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I thought they updated everything after the IB modified one was released?

They updated them...to like 15 year old hardware and gave it some algorithm to try and fix the major patch delay and spill over issues, and it did help, but it's definitely not totally fixed and for the price you can get much better units, even from TC. They just sort of abandoned it.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I intend to use it solely for effects, I like my 6505 too much to just use it as a glorified power amp. Also, would I be able to run analogue pedals such as drive pedals with an Axe FX standard/ultra? The more I research the more likely it seems I'll settle with one of the two.

Yeah, the Axe plays nice with outboard stuff.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
They updated them...to like 15 year old hardware and gave it some algorithm to try and fix the major patch delay and spill over issues, and it did help, but it's definitely not totally fixed and for the price you can get much better units, even from TC. They just sort of abandoned it.

Welp nevermind then. :lol:

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Welp nevermind then. :lol:

It's a shame because it was a really slick product, great interface (for the time) and innovative form factor and controller.

They just couldn't get it just right, and when Vai dropped it the writing was on the wall.

eascott333

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
One more quick question though, can I connect the midi out to my amp for channel switching?

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
One more quick question though, can I connect the midi out to my amp for channel switching?

Nah, the 6505(+) uses analog relay switching. You'd need some kinda MIDI amp switcher. Some multi-FX use relay switching but it isn't super common.

Suhr had a cheap and simple solution but it's out of stock ATM.

eascott333

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Mine is a plus model, and the input on the amp for the channel switcher is 7 prong. I thought it was midi

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Mine is a plus model, and the input on the amp for the channel switcher is 7 prong. I thought it was midi

It's still analog relay switching. So not only would you need to get a proper MIDI relay switcher, but you'd need a custom cable that works for it.

')