Good rack mount multi-fx units? (that won't make me go broke)

eascott333

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Voodoo Lab will set you up with a Control Switcher and custom cable. Good quality, great customer service, would recommend.
Would I need the switcher? Its seems all I need is the cable and something to adapt it to midi to go into the Axe FX. I planned on getting a Fractal switcher board to go with the axe fx

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Would I need the switcher? Its seems all I need is the cable and something to adapt it to midi to go into the Axe FX. I planned on getting a Fractal switcher board to go with the axe fx

No, the Axe FX doesnt do relay switching. They share the same DIN connectors, but they don't share the same type of switching. A single cable wouldn't fix that.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score

The switcher is the "something to adapt it to midi".

eascott333

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
No, the Axe FX doesnt do relay switching. They share the same DIN connectors, but they don't share the same type of switching. A single cable wouldn't fix that.
I understand that, I thought that there are relay to midi adapters

eascott333

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I coulda swore I saw somewhere, it was a little unit that you plug the relay cable into and then a midi cable into the processor

eascott333

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Oh that's what the Control Switcher is
Ahhh ok, I was getting confused and then I found the video where I first saw it and its basically what you guys are talking about, what threw me off was that the voodoo labs unit had 1/4" jacks on it and the one here doesn't, can't post the link but its an Ola Englund vid from 2016 where he has the "RJM Music Switch Gizmo" running from the head into an AX8

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ahhh ok, I was getting confused and then I found the video where I first saw it and its basically what you guys are talking about, what threw me off was that the voodoo labs unit had 1/4" jacks on it and the one here doesn't, can't post the link but its an Ola Englund vid from 2016 where he has the "RJM Music Switch Gizmo" running from the head into an AX8

The RJM Gizmo has been discontinued for awhile. The Control Switcher is the nearest replacement that's not fully custom.

Metalman X

The Resplendent Sub-Human
Reaction score
Worth mentioning the TC G-Major, og, or II are both great deals, with great effects. I owned the original for years, and the II for several months until I moved on to other things.

I been using an Axe FX Ultra for several years now, and can honestly say that while Axe is more tweakable, and technically does more, the G-Majors aint that far behind it in either department. TBH I think I liked the chorus' slightly better in the TC units (just have there own flavor, so this is subjective of course).

But I bring these up because both units also do analog relay switching. You WILL still need to get a cable with a stereo 1/4" one end/7 pin on the other.... but 99% sure these exist if you look around for it. Could also make one if you solder. This would be the cheapest/easiest way to do this though since you won't need a MIDI converter.

Downside though, the original G-Major definitely, and IIRC the II as well don't have the routing for 4cm. Which always struck me as odd since while most the effects are loop stuff, but they do have Wah and compression.... which you could run these in the loop too, technically, but most people don't for obvious reasons. That however, was really the only "complaint" I could have about those though.

Another option, maybe, is a Behringer FCB1010 midi control board. It has two relays in it that can be programmed to switch relays in conjunction with sending midi commands... so this, again with a custom cable as above (but likely way longer), would let you do amp channel switching while also controlling anything else with midi, like say, an Axe FX Ultra.

The FCB1010 is motherfucker to program though. So theirs that. But it will do what you want it to though.

Shask

Reaction score
Mine is a plus model, and the input on the amp for the channel switcher is 7 prong. I thought it was midi
The MIDI plug on the 6505+ is not actually MIDI. It is used for their custom footswitch. It doesn't matter what MIDI switcher you used with it, you would need to order a custom cable to work with it.

A TC Electronic G Major 2 or Rocktron Replifex both have channel switchers built in, but you would still need a custom cable either way.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
A TC Electronic G Major 2 or Rocktron Replifex both have channel switchers built in, but you would still need a custom cable either way.

That and you'll have to sacrifice one of the 3 footswitch options since it's single TRS. If you do go that route, I found this company that does make a custom cable and they let you choose which 2 of the 3 options you want (out of channel switching, Crunch on/off, and FX loop on/off)

https://btpa.com/P6505PGMAJ-XX.html

Shask

Reaction score
That and you'll have to sacrifice one of the 3 footswitch options since it's single TRS. If you do go that route, I found this company that does make a custom cable and they let you choose which 2 of the 3 options you want (out of channel switching, Crunch on/off, and FX loop on/off)

I think they might be a stereo TRS, so you would get 2 switching options with a TRS insert cable. I think, lol.

Yeah, you would probably hardwire the FX loop on, and then you could select clean/gain, and crunch/lead with the 2 relays. I forget the actual names, but I made a footswitch for my XXX with the same wiring.

Shask

Reaction score

Yeah, I checked the manuals, and the Replifex and G Major 2 both have 2 relays, so you could switch 2 different things with an Insert cable.

')