Good reasons to quit your job?

• Thread starter vejichan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vejichan

Reaction score
your job is extremely stressful with tight deadlines and people pressuring you all the time to make deadlines. Your hrs of work isnfrom 9am tp 9pm sometimes ever later...so busy you no time to eat or piss.. And you have co workers constantly bitching and mouthing off and complaining how bad your are and last the boss tells you they will hit a younger person who has better credentials than you with the same job title working along side you...now if you are a family man supporting a wife and two kids..do you quit?

IGC

Reaction score
The grass allways seems greener on the other side...but don't be afraid to explore your options. Your employer certainly does so why shouldn't you?
But yeah, bad idea to just quit, as easy/tempting as it could be, without another replacement job.
Maybe speak to a counselor, about your frustrations with work.

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Should you quit? Definitely. The question is when. As the others have said, not yet. Line up something else. But, knowing that you’re working on it will help your feeling of frustration immensely.

vejichan

Reaction score
Thanks ok Well that person was going to start the job on monday..they told all this to me yesterday ...walked in and Quit. Now what...

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks ok Well that person was going to start the job on monday..they told all this to me yesterday ...walked in and Quit. Now what...

Should have waited to get fired so you could collect unemployment. :shrug:

I guess apply to jobs and apply for benefits depending on state and local programs.

IGC

Reaction score

Maybe you should go back, tell them you were frustrated because you felt your job was being threatened, and that is why you quit. Please can I have my job back?

Let us know what happens...

vejichan

Reaction score
1- my boss being president and of the company approached me on thursday and told me out of the blue that they had hired another project manager who was 10 years younger, had 10 years experience. They told me that she would start this coming monday and that i would train her and she would shadow everything i did. I am convinced thats exactly what happened and what was told to the other two project managers when they came on board previous to me before they let them go.
2- being overwhelmed with feelings or jealousy, fear and extreme anger of the direction and plans that the boss intended for me was a lie and feelong betrayed. All the pentup emotions from the other co workers that i took over the course of the year. This job being the most challenging and stressful, with crazy hrs of 9am to 9pm a day..me working like a dog at times not having time to go to the restroom or even eat lunch. My emotions, mentality and physical limit were already at its peak prior to this news. I think it was the straw that broke the camels back. I went in friday and told them that i was shocked and that my conclusion was that i couldnt continue with the company. My boss requested two weeks notice and i declined. In my mind i wanted to leave immediately. I lost my passion to work especially i didnt want to be anywhere near the environment when the new person comes on board. This was my limit. After an hour of discussing this, my boss propose that maybe taking a leave of abscence and think things over rather than quiting. He told me to followup this coming monday.

Lemonbaby

Reaction score
Sorry man, but skipping lunch or not going to the restroom due to a stressful work environment is simply stupid. Have lunch, go to the restroom. Let your boss explain why and how exactly the company is going to be bankrupt due to this. Trying to finish all work on your desk also makes no sense if your boss is an idiot. He's just going to pile up more work on your desk until you break down. Keep calm, find a new job and just leave.

One more (very important) point when looking for a job. It's not just the companies choosing who to hire, you also choose who to work for. Many people seem to forget that...

chopeth

Reaction score
I can give good reasons to NOT not quit your job:

- Living in a country with over 25% unemployment

- Having a long list of candidates after you which are eager to do your job for half your salary because... obviously there's no jobs for everyone.

- Having a government who doesn't care about the worker, and benefits solely big fishes. Those bastards enjoy the new labour reform which consist in allowing the owner (just claiming he might have losses) to fire all-time experienced employees who earn 1200€ and hire 3 lowcost workers paid 400€. The business man gets three cheap slaves and the government can say the are lowering the unemployment figures. Win-win

Last edited:

Demiurge

Reaction score
It is true in work- as it is in life in general- that we teach people how to treat us. I'm not saying that the OP's experiences are all his doing, but following Lemonbaby's point, the first time you skip a lunch, skip a bathroom break, take somebody's guff, or are the first person in and the last one out of the office, a precedent begins to form and that will always be expected. Nobody's ever going to return to you what you've given-away.

vhtforme

Reaction score
The smart (but hard) thing would be to hang in until unemployment or actively look for another job while your on your way out. Employers can only take what your willing to give. If your skipping breaks and lunch and working tons of overtime they will happily use you up. The tough part will be interviewing for your next job. I'm sure your going to list this last job in your work history and your old boss may label you a trouble maker or quitter. The first places i would look for a job would be with your former customers, vendors, and competition.

Demiurge

Reaction score
It might also help to be proactive and prepare for the job search: make sure your resume is current and looks good, prepare a cover letter, approach possible references, and- I mention this because it just happened to me- make sure your job interview ensemble fits.

vejichan

Reaction score
Thanks for all the helpful responses. Well the job does have a revolving door of employees getting fired or quitting. I just endured and took it but like ive said this was the straw that broke the camels back. At some point its not about the money anymore. In my mind, i just couldnt bear another minute at the job...now had this been a boring job and i was sitting around yup i would just stay until i find something else however the job is extremely demanding with lots of tight schedules and deadlines. It does drain you and expect you to put in over 100 percent day in and out...frankly i am not young anymore in my mid 40s with two kids and a wife. I cant risk losing my sanity or wrecking my health any further...so now that i burned that bridge..

IGC

Reaction score
Thanks for all the helpful responses. Well the job does have a revolving door of employees getting fired or quitting. I just endured and took it but like ive said this was the straw that broke the camels back. At some point its not about the money anymore. In my mind, i just couldnt bear another minute at the job...now had this been a boring job and i was sitting around yup i would just stay until i find something else however the job is extremely demanding with lots of tight schedules and deadlines. It does drain you and expect you to put in over 100 percent day in and out...frankly i am not young anymore in my mid 40s with two kids and a wife. I cant risk losing my sanity or wrecking my health any further...so now that i burned that bridge..

So your definitely not going back? It is such an excuse me, fuck in the ass, when you have to train the next person and don't move forward yourself. Project manager is a pretty high position, at least where I work kind of presidents right hand man. I know nothing about the job but in the six years I'v worked where I do, he has gone thru two of them. And then there is a P.M. for the warehouse/shipping witch I had never heard of.
The first guy just quit because of a disagreement with pres....walked out. The second guy just found a better job after a year or less with our company! We went without for a good year or two. Then they as of late last year/early this year hired in a new p.m. So seems like P.M. is a struggle.

NateFalcon

Reaction score
It depends on if you’re skilled enough or know enough people to jump into another job...I’ve had times where I look around and say “fuck this bullshit...” and go home. Every job I’ve ever quit was a blessing looking back. I laugh at some of the BS I put up with in my 20’s just to ‘not lose a job’ lol. Don’t put your family in the street but get out ASAP!!! Start looking for something new now. Nothing is worse than wasting your life you’ll never get back on complete assholes. It sounds cheesy but you gotta find something you love to keep from losing heart -go solo, go start your own business, side business?...where do you want to be in a year? 5, 10 years?...I used to be proud of being a Plumber in my early 20’s, now you couldn’t pay me enough to roll around like an idiot in a crawl space or attic...$100 an hour?...nope. Figure out where you want to be and go for it!

vejichan

Reaction score
Update: i decided to apologize and go back to my job. The fear of being poor with no source of income far outweighs all the BS

Demiurge

Reaction score
No judgment here. Sometimes you have to take your lumps and choose which part of your pride to wound.

BUT, you probably recognize that this is the sensible thing to do while you look for a better job, right?

IGC

Reaction score
Update: i decided to apologize and go back to my job. The fear of being poor with no source of income far outweighs all the BS

Sorry if this is prying, but if you want, will you share the juicy details?

It depends on if you’re skilled enough or know enough people to jump into another job...I’ve had times where I look around and say “fuck this bullshit...” and go home. Every job I’ve ever quit was a blessing looking back. I laugh at some of the BS I put up with in my 20’s just to ‘not lose a job’ lol. Don’t put your family in the street but get out ASAP!!! Start looking for something new now. Nothing is worse than wasting your life you’ll never get back on complete assholes. It sounds cheesy but you gotta find something you love to keep from losing heart -go solo, go start your own business, side business?...where do you want to be in a year? 5, 10 years?...I used to be proud of being a Plumber in my early 20’s, now you couldn’t pay me enough to roll around like an idiot in a crawl space or attic...$100 an hour?...nope. Figure out where you want to be and go for it!

Gotta agree looking back at quitting all my past jobs (8 in 22 years), yeah I am glad I moved on. The only one I that wasn't a good move was when I walked out of my third job without having a new one lined up. And because I needed to get a peycheck had to take a lesser job. It was a good learning experience tho. And I was 19, living with mom...