Good reliable wireless for guitar?

• Thread starter Gmork
  • Start date
  • Tags
    wireless
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Gmork

Reaction score
me and my other guitarist are thinking about going wireless. does anyone have educated opinions on any? thanks

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Another :yesway: for the Line 6 stuff. Great quality, features, and price. You're going to have to spend much more if going with a more traditional system from the likes of Sennheiser or Shure.

charlessalvacion

Reaction score
Im using the Audio Technica System10 Stomp box. Great unit.

I had bad experience with Line6 G50 & my bandmate has the G30. Its very picky where you put it, it loses signal when near other wireless devices. I had to disconnect it during a gig because of the signal loss. Just sharing my experience.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
Me and our bass player are using AKG WMS40's, and they've been great so far. They're pretty much the cheapest you can get, but we haven't had any problems with them so far, and I don't hear any loss of sound quality compared to using a cable. I've heard their frequencies often collide with other equipment though, so you might wanna make sure you don't have anything else on the same channel, + these are on a fixed frequency, so if you're gonna have two of them, make sure that you buy different frequency variants.

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
Another G30 user, it's inexpensive, does not suck tone, and can be made to be reliable by securing the battery cover (lousy design). I experienced brief drop outs with it when i used to pile all my belongings on top of my rack during gigs like my ecig and phone, which i think was the culprit. But since keeping my phone in my pocket, no more drop outs. I actually placed my phone on the rack last gig by mistake and sure enough, had a couple drop outs.

Long story short, once I worked out the kinks, it's been a reliable unit that just works. I've been using it for a couple years now. I posted in another thread recently I like the small receiver, so it does not take up a rack slot, rather can just be mounted in back of rack and essentially forgotten about.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Does your phone have WiFi? I heard that digital wireless units and Wifi don't mix all too well. Wifi signals tend to run at 2.4GHz, the same frequency as the G30s. Could possibly cause problems?

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
Does your phone have WiFi? I heard that digital wireless units and Wifi don't mix all too well. Wifi signals tend to run at 2.4GHz, the same frequency as the G30s. Could possibly cause problems?

Yep, at least digital wireless units tend to use 2.4GHz (WiFi is either 2.4 or 5GHz), so that's probably it. Which is why I opted for an analog one ;)

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score

Yup, heck which phones don't have wifi these days :wavey: Agreed - I think Wifi is as good a theory as i've heard. I've also seen folks try to debunk it, but the proof is in pudding for me. No phone on rack = no drop outs. I suppose i could try turning off wifi, but i feel better just to keep it away from the rack.

There is a whole mob of folks on the line 6 forums complaining about drop outs (G30,G50, G90). I'd imagine most wireless manufacturer forums have similar problems. Glad i figured mine out and can worry about other things like new guitars and such.

pkgitar

Reaction score
My Shure GLXD16 has been good to me. However they are twice the price of the G30 new. I got mine on a clearance sale for about 130 though, so maybe there could be something on the used market to consider.

noUser01

Still can't play.
Reaction score
Yup, heck which phones don't have wifi these days :wavey: Agreed - I think Wifi is as good a theory as i've heard. I've also seen folks try to debunk it, but the proof is in pudding for me. No phone on rack = no drop outs. I suppose i could try turning off wifi, but i feel better just to keep it away from the rack.

There is a whole mob of folks on the line 6 forums complaining about drop outs (G30,G50, G90). I'd imagine most wireless manufacturer forums have similar problems. Glad i figured mine out and can worry about other things like new guitars and such.

I wonder about this, because Periphery use the XD-V75's now and previously used the G90's. They control their in-ear monitor mixes wirelessly on iPad's on stage. Perhaps that's why the wireless systems or in their own rack? I imagine it's at least 6 feet from anyone's devices, even on a small stage.

jonsick

Reaction score
I've been running a Sennheiser Generation 1 EW172 since 1997. It's still going strong. It may have cost me £350 at the time IIRC, but the fact it's lasted near 20 years is good enough for me.

If it was my money, I'd be spending it on a Senny even if I had to spend more.

thevisi0nary

Reaction score
Had the shure blx14. Was kind to me for every show i played UNTIL i played a big festival. Both years i played the connection got disrupted and really messed the show up. Not sure what thats about. So for regular shows it was fine but for a big festival it was failure.

Latest posts

')