Good speakers for low tuning?

• Thread starter GunnarJames
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GunnarJames

Reaction score
So I'm not sure if what I'm looking for exists or not. Need some suggestions!

Since I haven't been playing out for the past two years, I no longer have an actual amp and have been using the Kemper for recording. For this new project I'm putting together, I'm going to be playing my 8 string clean only with flat wounds and covering the roll of bass and guitar. I have an Ashdown 4x10 bass cabinet that sounds killer and am picking up a Sound City B120 tube bass head this week. I've already played both together and they both sound great with the 8 string.

What I'm looking for is a guitar speaker/cabinet that I can use in this rig to bring out a bit more of a guitar tone into the mix without flubbing out and being muddy on the low end. I'd like to be able to also use this cabinet alone with the head if I have a session or gig playing more I guess "traditional" guitar stuff with my 6 string. I'd also like to avoid using two separate amps and would like to keep the Kemper in the studio.

I was looking into some of the Eminence stuff. Checked out the clips of the Commonwealth 15 and thought it sounded great and figure the 15" would probably handle the low end a bit better. The Big Ben 15" seemed a bit muddy in the low mids since I guess it's geared towards the more honky blues type tone. 12" would be cool too, but I don't want to go bigger than a 1x15 or 2x12 cabinet. If buying a cabinet from a manufacturer, I'd like the stock speakers to meet these requirements, otherwise I'll just build my own if I have to replace the speakers anyway.

Oh, and I'd like to not spend more than around $300 (new or used). :lol:

Any suggestions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Baelzebeard

Grinder of strings
Reaction score
I have a Big Ben 2x15, and it doesn't seem muddy at all to me. A 1x15 wold probably work great.
I've also had a lot of experience with EV evm15's with guitar, and I love them. They have been discontinued for years, but still float around used,and eminence delta pro 15a is a pretty close facsimile. Can of course double duty for bass.

cGoEcYk

Reaction score
Swamp Thangs are probably one of the bassiest sounding guitar speakers that you can easily get (EVM 12L or Eminence Delta Pro 12A would be meaner but they are more expensive).

karjim

Set the World Afire
Reaction score
Laboga 312 with one V30 out for a GK100...Boom! One V30 One K100 and one EV 15'= earthquake dowtune
But in NJ it will be tough to find...viva Poland !

oniduder

HONKEY DONKEY
Reaction score
delta pro 12a's

or anything really, i mean it's all about how you tune your shite, ya know? meaning your amp and stuff

you could be at -200 hz and still use a normal speaker to get a "tight" tone

idk though, i'm retard-o

axxessdenied

Arium Addict
Reaction score
You don't need speakers to reproduce lows well... you aren't a bassist. The thicker gauges and lower tunings are going to produce more then enough bass to begin with.
Focus on getting a cab that has lots of mids so you can cut through and not step over the bassists frequency bubble.

GunnarJames

Reaction score
Hmm. Maybe it's just the sound clips of the Big Ben that sound a little muddy on the Eminence site, or maybe just in comparison to the Commonwealth. I haven't heard either in person.

I actually don't want added bass or low end (as I'm using a bass tube amp and bass 4x10 cab with this and already have plenty), I want something that is voiced for guitar that won't flub out, distort, or be damaged when pushing the low notes through it that can double for regular 6 string, standard tuned stuff on it's own without the 4x10. On the 8 string I'm tuning EAEADGBE.

I won't be playing with a bass player for this, so I don't have to worry about that. My main concern is keeping out the mud and bringing in a bit more clarity as I'm playing almost strictly clean for this project with flat wound strings. With heavy distortion and round wounds, I wouldn't be concerned at all really with keeping the low end under control as there's less of it and more compression with higher gain stuff.

Lots of love for the Delta Pros! Well, for Eminence in general it seems. I mean, they do make great stuff. :agreed:

Any other brands I should consider? Just figured I'd see what else is out there.

I do think though, at this point, that I am going to go for a 15" rather than a 12".

Baelzebeard

Grinder of strings
Reaction score
Regarding the Commonwealth vs. Big Ben.

The Commonwealth will seem much brighter because of its aluminum dustcap. If you open the frequency response graphs or the specs it clearly shows a high peak for the commonwealth, and a pretty much normal guitar speaker response for the BB's.

GunnarJames

Reaction score
I think I was leaning towards the Commonwealth because of the brightness for the mixed rig, but I think you're right and I'd probably be better off with the Big Ben for versatility. The Commonwealth might be too bright if I needed to use it on its own for standard stuff.

I wish there were some clips of the Delta Pros! But, I think I may give the Big Ben a go, you seem to really dig yours. Worst case scenario: I hate it and return it. :lol:

I'm picking up a Jenkins Sound Shop 1x15 cabinet (unloaded) this week to drop this in. Never heard of the company and not much came up from a quick Google search, I don't think they're around anymore. Seems like a cool cab and good deal though, made of pine and has two removable back panels for open/closed back options. Anyone familiar with these?

Bevo

Reaction score
Have you tried a EQ?

A friend with an 8 string had the same issue and wanted more bottom end, he added a 10 band eq and got the clean bottom end out of a Marshall 4-12.
He has gone on to use PA cabs with a 15 inch speakers and his tone is 10 times better, he used an HD500 andI think moved on to an AXE.

Latest posts

')