Good studio headphones?

samu

Reaction score
I'm moving into my uni dorm in a few weeks and I know I can't buy monitors unless I could soundproof my room (which I can't). So I would appreciate if some of you guys could point me in the right direction of medium priced headphones that would be suitable for plugging into a laptop and POD XT.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Frank_Domine

Reaction score
Hey! I got my Sennheisers HD202 some time ago, and since then, i'm very satisfied with them. I use them on my recordings. I use a Pod X3 and they work very well on it :yesway:

They're not so expensive neither. Here in Spain, where I live, I payed about 32€ more or less, so value for money it's very convincing, I assure you :)

But specially, I love so much their powerful bass response :metal:

Hope you consider my advice!

Cheers!

ArrowHead

Reaction score
For recording, a closed back headphone like the 202 will give you an EXAGGERATED bass response. In other words, it will sound louder than it really is, which has the potential to ruin the balance of your mixes.

As you spend more money you'll see options like what I use - the Beyerdynamic DT880Pro, which is an OPEN backed headphone. It gives a much more realistic and accurate response. It also causes less "fatigue" on your ears due to the open-back design.

Personally, I went with the DT880Pros because they didn't need an external headphone amp, they were open back, and had some of the best reviews in the price range. (I paid around $200). The other options I was considering closely was the Sennheiser HD 598, and the Sennheiser HD 595.

One of the best resources I found for good accurate comparisons are the Amazon.com reviews. There are some pretty knowledgeable audiophiles that do a good job of describing the characteristics of the various headphones. These reviews (and price) were how I made my final decision, and I'm very happy with the decision I made. Now, instead of taking off my headphones to check my mix against my reference monitors, I check my monitor mix with my headphones! In my untreated room, my headphones actually give me the more flattened and accurate response. Since getting them, I'm already hearing HUGE mistakes or balance issues in the recordings I've made, as well as the one's I'm working on now. The improvements are making me very happy.

[edit] - fixed. I wrote 'behringer' instead of 'beyerdynamic'.

Frank_Domine

Reaction score
Interesting, man. I'll look some info about those headphones :yesway: ;)

Who would say it? this thread has been useful even for me :rofl:

Thanks for the advice!

ArrowHead

Reaction score
Interesting, man. I'll look some info about those headphones :yesway: ;)

Who would say it? this thread has been useful even for me :rofl:

Thanks for the advice!

No problem man. I actually have a set of 202's. I love em, great for listening to music and for tracking. Also great for late night headphone guitar jamming. However when it came to mixing it was just too hard to get anything accurate out of them. I still use them for drumming, tracking, and listening to my MP3 player all the time. The 202's are awesome considering the price.

spattergrind

Reaction score
ATH-M50's
medium_ATH-M50.jpg

'nuff said. :agreed:

Frank_Domine

Reaction score
The 202's are awesome considering the price.

Yep, you're right. Value for money it's amazing. In fact, I use em just equal than you; Trackin', listenin' to music or just as you say, guitar jamming at night ( I love this sooo so much...:wub:)

But I haven't job, so I haven't much money to spend on better ones :( Then I must use my Sennheiser for all...

Anyway, I'll take your advice! As soon as possible, i'll search one of them!

;)

ArrowHead

Reaction score
While I have no experience with those, the same principle for closed-back headphones will apply. Just in general, open back tends to give a more accurate response, but there are always exceptions - and for all I know those might be the exception.

The two biggest problems with closed back phones is exaggerated bass response, and ear fatigue.

However, while open back headphones are better for mixing (IMO), they will bleed into your mics when recording very badly, so closed back headphones are still better for TRACKING.

Devotion

Brojangles
Reaction score
While I have no experience with those, the same principle for closed-back headphones will apply. Just in general, open back tends to give a more accurate response, but there are always exceptions - and for all I know those might be the exception.

The two biggest problems with closed back phones is exaggerated bass response, and ear fatigue.

However, while open back headphones are better for mixing (IMO), they will bleed into your mics when recording very badly, so closed back headphones are still better for TRACKING.

That's why I wanted to ask about this one here, as I read it even is somewhat 'thin' on the bass, but in a good way: KRK KNS-6400 Review - Impressive $99 Giant Killer

The problem is I never have had 'monitor'-headphones, so it's difficult to know what I need, but I do know that my current Skullcandys (ugh) aren't capable of playing bass frequencies properly.

Fiction

For Mod
Reaction score
Closed back is simply for noise isolation as far as I'm aware and adds no boosts to frequency (unless the headphones have a freq boost built in, but its not set to every closed back headpphone) You need to look for headphones which have 'flat-eq' which basically means they dont boost any frequencies. Basically, you'll get more room ambience coming from open-back, and closed back gives you less ambience, unless of course your mix has some reverb/ambient features added.

thefool

Reaction score
i have a pair of sennheiser HD 280 pros that are awesome.

')