Got $2,000 to blow on a new seven

• Thread starter ballstix
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ballstix

Reaction score
After a questionable experience with a Carvin I've decided to send it back and get something else, but I've been having a lot of trouble finding something I like :(

I liked the feel of the DC7x7s except I would prefer a slightly thinner neck and a thinner body as well. I'm not a fan of bulky / heavy guitars. Ibanez seems to fit the bill but I'm not so sure I want to go with a basswood body since I already have my Bare Knuckles, and I hear Painkillers aren't the best match with basswood. I'm also looking for a fixed bridge and something that has routes suited for passive pickups so I can put my Bare Knuckles in it.

Basically, I want something of high-quality that's really playable anywhere from $0 to 2k. As far as looks I like stuff that's sleek, like a Blackmachine or Mayones Regius.

Thanks for all recommendations!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
With that budget take a look at Strictly 7 Guitars, they're made in the USA and from all accounts are pretty badass both in features and quality.

They're custom so specs and aesthetics are all up to you.

The prices are really nice as well. I've sent them several quotes and it seems you can get a very well equipped 7 for just under $2000.

http://strictly7.com

Prydogga

Giddyup.
Reaction score
I've been very impressed with alot of KxK's I've seen as of late, and while I can't give any real recommendation as I haven't played one, I'm sure there are many willing to, and I believe they do 7's for about $2000, but don't rely on my info.

There is one on sale on the site for $1999 right now, looks amazing:
Sii7RH4-600x506.jpg

Also, I agree with Max, S7 would be a good option to look at, aesthetically they don't relly appeal to me but the specs for price seem very reasonable. :yesway:

trippled

Reaction score
Personally I'm not as impressed like other people here from strickly 7, rotter and others.. doesnt give the impression of high end guitars to me.

I think that for that kind of money I'd try either of these options:

1. Find a second hand J Custom 7.

2. Look into rich at Ibanez rules inventory, he stocks used J Customs sometimes.

3. KxK is really a great option to consider, if youre a fixed bridge player you can order a new one for 2K.

4. A mayones setius might be at your budget, they should be nice although I heard about consistancy issues from mayones.

5. The new jpx 7 that should be out allready costs around 2.5K, if you can save abit for it, it could be a great option.

6. Getting a used JP-7 BFR, might cost you abit more but should be worth it.

7. Gmw millenium series.

Unfortunately, if you're searching for a high end guitar and you dont like basswood like me you're really limited in your options, kind of annoying but thats how it is.

ballstix

Reaction score
Great rec's so far. Just submitted a query for Strictly 7. Jim's prices seem really reasonable. Also, I forgot to mention that I do want a tone knob :p. That KxK looks sick but for all practical purposes I do use my tone knob a lot for the jazz half of my playing. Gonna look into J Custom 7s and Ricos. One thing I definitely don't want to deal with is shoddy fretwork or any quality control issues.

Prydogga

Giddyup.
Reaction score
Then try going towards BRJ KxK etc, and away from EBMM, I'm definitely not saying EBMM would have shit FB jobs, but with custom luthiers you get updates and an extremely higher grade customer value, due to communication with the builder and picture updates throughout build. :2c:

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
Bernie Rico
GMW
KXK
I was not all that impressed with the J-Custom that I had. The frets are on the small side
and the maple top was not much more than a veneer.
(Please ibby fan boys let's not start a debate on this one he's asking for opnions)
the 2 builders I listed both make beuatiful quality guitars.
I'd get in touch with each one of them and discuss specs and prices.
No one around here really mentions GMWs (trippled did)
I've owned several GMW's and still do and they are top noth guitars, so I would at leat take a look.
he's got a fixed bridge 7 for sale right now that is pretty sweet.
That KXK on their site looks really nice and Bernie...............Bernies the man, I've got one incoming.

Last edited:

Samer

Dybbuk
Reaction score
I would say easily KxK...

I spent 12 hours recording with my KxK yesterday and couldn't believe how easy the guitar is to play, and how great it sounded.

As some one who owns 6 Ibanez guitars (5 prestige) and One KxK i will easily say the KxK is hands down better in every possible way.

Enselmis

Reaction score
Just curious, what exactly was wrong with the Carvin you had?

Maybe you should look around locally to see if there are any luthiers that might built you something. Small name people can do great work for reasonable prices. Best f all, you can watch the guitar being built and communicate any ideas or opinions in person.

Nonservium

ss.org Irregular
Reaction score
Give Jim a shout at Strictly 7, you can more than likely get everything you want for that price.

Also, I haven't played or even seen any Bernie Rico, Jr.'s guitars but Keith's looks like its fucking awesome. You might want to give him a shout as well.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
KxK or BRJ (note BRJ is from reputation alone, I have not yet owned one). A KxK is likely going to be more than $2k unless they do another discounted short run or they get one you like in stock. You can email to double check me on that kxksales@gmail.com.

BRJ has a couple of specials in the dealer section that are in your price range (I almost grabbed one of the spalt top bolt ons myself, but got distracted by the KxK Sii-8 prototype :lol:)

mikernaut

pixel pusher
Reaction score
I would strongly suggest a KxK or Rico Jr. Although it might be tricky to find one for around $2000. I have owned both and can't stop raving about how incredible my Rico is. The Kxk I owned was pretty damn nice too but I found out I wasn't a big fan of 27" scale and blackout pickups so I eventually sold it. Kxk's have the most ridiculously thin neck and the best upper heel access ever.

There is a KxK for sale in the classifieds for $1750.
http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/guitars-for-sale-trade-wanted/118618-kxk-sii-7-price-drop.html

cyril v

Contributor
Reaction score
I would strongly suggest a KxK or Rico Jr. Although it might be tricky to find one for around $2000. I have owned both and can't stop raving about how incredible my Rico is. The Kxk I owned was pretty damn nice too but I found out I wasn't a big fan of 27" scale and blackout pickups so I eventually sold it. Kxk's have the most ridiculously thin neck and the best upper heel access ever.

There is a KxK for sale in the classifieds for $1750.
http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/guitars-for-sale-trade-wanted/118618-kxk-sii-7-price-drop.html

:agreed:

If price wasn't an issue, I'd probably have a KxK, Rico Jr, JP7 and a Ran guitar right now. :realmad:

ballstix

Reaction score
Does Bernie do customs or would I have to wait for a run with the specs I wanted? KxK seems a little more pricey than $2k, yeah, but I'm open to saving a little bit more.

I like the idea about finding a local luthier. I'm gonna call around for that.

As for my problems with my Carvin, the fretwork was off. A quick fret rocker test and bringing it to 6 different luthiers in my area proved that it was gonna cost me more than I wanted to get it set up well. I know it's not uncommon for a guitar to need work right out of the box, but I'd also sent it back to Carvin twice to get it fixed with no luck. Something weird was going on, idk :(.

Also, just for the hell of it I got a quote on a RAN that fit my specs. I heard they were pricey as hell but it turned out to be $1,880 euros for a very nice axe. Again, a bit over my price range but I REALLY like their Carvin-like "pick your specs" builder thing online. LED side dots? Fuck yeah!

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Does Bernie do customs or would I have to wait for a run with the specs I wanted? KxK seems a little more pricey than $2k, yeah, but I'm open to saving a little bit more.

I like the idea about finding a local luthier. I'm gonna call around for that.

As for my problems with my Carvin, the fretwork was off. A quick fret rocker test and bringing it to 6 different luthiers in my area proved that it was gonna cost me more than I wanted to get it set up well. I know it's not uncommon for a guitar to need work right out of the box, but I'd also sent it back to Carvin twice to get it fixed with no luck. Something weird was going on, idk :(.

Also, just for the hell of it I got a quote on a RAN that fit my specs. I heard they were pricey as hell but it turned out to be $1,880 euros for a very nice axe. Again, a bit over my price range but I REALLY like their Carvin-like "pick your specs" builder thing online. LED side dots? Fuck yeah!

The base KxK pricing is on their website. BRJ does full customs, though to hit your $2000 target you'd want to look at one of the limited production runs listed in the Dealers section of this website.

As for Ran 1880 euros is about $2350 with the current exchange rate... add to that a guestimate of $150 shipping and %5 import duty and unless you want a clone of some other manufacturer's guitar you're back into pricing for one of the above mentioned luthiers. There are ways to get around the import duty, but at the end of the day if you get caught it's a felony so I never thought it was worth the risk.

TimSE

Tone Chasr
Contributor
Reaction score
im going to say Bernie Rico Jr gets my vote as his stuff is always stunning and altho i havnt played one myself, i always here amazing things

Corwin

Reaction score
If I had that money I'd get a BRJ.
It might be more than your budget, but they look AMAZING.

ballstix

Reaction score
Sent Bernie an email.

Also just got a quote back from Jim at Strictly 7, and holy fuck, what a competitive price. I might as well just beef my specs out even more since I can afford it :p.

')