Got a band you like (or are in) but can't stand another member?

• Thread starter M3CHK1LLA
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DoomJazz

Classic Lojack
Reaction score
My last band (you can call it that?), our bassist was a dickhead that knew nothing about music, didn't like the same music that everyone else liked, and booked too many shows. Quit after 2 months and 10 shows. Ass.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Heineken

Blackened is the end
Reaction score
Keep in mind, "baggage" is what inspires some people to make great music. I would never bag on a musician for being troubled in such a way.

I know what you mean, but in some cases, his baggage would kill his motivation to do anything really.

ChrisRushing

Fretboard Acrobat
Reaction score
We worked with a guitarist at one point who continually rewrote the same song over and over. It was like he was perpetually stuck in the same key, tempo and time signatures, same lead patterns, same riff shapes/positions. He would come in with entire songs written and expect everyone to play them exactly like he had written. If you changed anything, he would pout and eventually the entire song would be removed from the band.
He claimed that any effects other than your standard distortion/delay were sci-fi sounding.
We tended to pass compositions back and forth through email (the entire band) and he would constantly send back notations with notes "CORRECTED" that he claimed were out of scale.
He would pay band rent late and make the rest of us cover his portion because he had a shitty job and the rest of us were "well off". He felt it was justified.
He was always talking about how he was "classically" trained but didn't actually have any documentation to prove that he ever went to school for anything music related.
He had a triple rectifier and an oversized Mesa cab. He would put it on 10 and bitch about how he couldn't hear anyone else during band practice.
At shows, he would make his wife load all of his gear in while he stood around and talked.
He was a "bedroom" musician who only had previously worked by themselves. He had no clue how to be tight with a drummer whose tempo fluctuated. He had the most rigid sense of rhythm/timing because he had only played to a metronome (not saying that in itself is bad but he didn't understand that there is more to it than dragging shit on a grid).
This dude was probably the most disturbing musician I have ever encountered in the sixteen years I have been actively playing. Needless to say, he went back to the bedroom musician role and currently hires studio musicians to play his shitty songs. Thank god we aren't involved with that anymore. Bleakest time of my musical career.

mgh

Betwixt and Between
Reaction score
Hi, my name's Dave Mustaine...;-)

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
wow...this thread has more of a personal aspect. makes sense why its so hard to find a good group of ppl the play with & why so many great bands dont last long...

i was just expecting something like:

"i love kse but i wish adam d. wouldnt wear a cape on stage." :lol:

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
I'm shocked no one else has commented on the following:

...the Harper's Ferry show, where a strange european guy in front of me reached back and grabbed my junk in his cupped hand. WTF? But I was 2 feet from Tymon, so I wasn't about to give up my spot. ;)

Okay, I have to say that my first reaction wouldn't be to just shrug off someone cupping my junk. I probably wouldn't even have thought before reacting. It definitely wouldn't have been about giving up my spot.

I suppose you just figured, in for a penny, in for a pound. Great show, happy ending! *laugh*

----

Regarding band situations: I am that guy that others hate. *laugh*

And, by that guy, I mean that I don't want to waste my practice time with people learning their parts, but instead want to put together the individual parts people have been working on in their own time.

I want to present and be presented with new material, so that we can take it home to discuss next time.

I want to play, and then sit down after the playing part of the rehearsal, and while we're drinking a beer or tea listen to the recording/tape/whatever of what we just played together, and see what each member needs to work on.

I want people to be able to criticize each other (yes, including me), and for people to be open to taking criticism constructively. That's why there's a tape, so I don't have to listen to, say, a drummer telling us that we got a chord progression wrong or hit wrong notes.

I've got to say, I've been lucky in that I've mostly been in groups where there was a good selection process, eliminating potential problems and divas/divos right off the bat. If we can't find a member which gels, we can keep looking....

0 Xero 0

Reaction score
I love that Adam D. is so freaking hilarious on stage! I read an interview where Howard or Joel was saying Adam basically does whatever he can so he doesn't have to play guitar as much, haha.

Anyways, I don't have any personal experiences but I can name a band that isn't very good, but could be better. The instrumental of BMtH's new album is pretty good but Oli Sykes is a stupid emo, douchebag. His lyrics are a crock of crap and he sounds like has laryngitis most of the time.

Also, the singer from Emmure gets on my nerves a lot. I'm not into metalcore type stuff as much any more, but they still have some songs I like. That guy is full of so much angst it's ridiculous. His lyrics don't seem to vent all his pent up angst...

leftyguitarjoe

Correct-handed
Reaction score
I was in a band where the Drummer tried was way too intense. Not with his playing, but he thought we were going to be the greatest metal band ever. We were playing unnecessarily technical 8 string death metal. He thought we were going to be hugely famous and wanted us to dedicate our lives to the band. It was really annoying so I quit after a couple months.

Nesty

Reaction score
I love that Adam D. is so freaking hilarious on stage! I read an interview where Howard or Joel was saying Adam basically does whatever he can so he doesn't have to play guitar as much, haha.

Anyways, I don't have any personal experiences but I can name a band that isn't very good, but could be better. The instrumental of BMtH's new album is pretty good but Oli Sykes is a stupid emo, douchebag. His lyrics are a crock of crap and he sounds like has laryngitis most of the time.

Also, the singer from Emmure gets on my nerves a lot. I'm not into metalcore type stuff as much any more, but they still have some songs I like. That guy is full of so much angst it's ridiculous. His lyrics don't seem to vent all his pent up angst...

Note I'm not really BMTH fan, what have you got against the lyrics? I thought they were a massive step up from his previous efforts. To be fair the band as a whole are hated for the sake of being hated. Mostly due to the fan base they acquired in their earlier days.

There's absolutely nothing emo about them either..

0 Xero 0

Reaction score
Well, metalcore was what got me into metal and I stumbled upon them. I wouldn't call myself much of a fan, but they have some decent songs. I didn't intend to buy the new album and my brother got it and we listened to it in his truck after he got it. Instrumentally, there's some pretty good stuff there I think, but the raspy vocals and lyrics kill it for me on a lot of songs. I was specifically talking about Oli with the emo comment, but you're right, they're not an "emo" band. The songs F**k and Blacklist are examples of having bad lyrics IMO. I don't care for lyrics where they just talk crap about people and whatnot.

linchpin

Specter
Reaction score
It was actually my teacher at school, we had a band where he was pretty much overseeing every little thing we had going.
He would turn down the gain on the amp almost completely citing there is no need for that amount and complaining of "noise"... yeah we pretty much had dreams of him drowning and stuff...

brutalwizard

Pretty Your Petunia
Reaction score
It was actually my teacher at school, we had a band where he was pretty much overseeing every little thing we had going.
He would turn down the gain on the amp almost completely citing there is no need for that amount and complaining of "noise"... yeah we pretty much had dreams of him drowning and stuff...

gain :nono:

Repner

Reaction score
Note I'm not really BMTH fan, what have you got against the lyrics? I thought they were a massive step up from his previous efforts. To be fair the band as a whole are hated for the sake of being hated. Mostly due to the fan base they acquired in their earlier days.

There's absolutely nothing emo about them either..
I don't know anything about their lyrics, but as a person, Oli is a piece of shit. A few years ago he decided to throw a chair at someone I knew. She hadn't said anything or provoked it in anyway. He just decided to be a dick to her.

Seems he's got a reputation for things like this. Fuck him

0 Xero 0

Reaction score
^ That's consistent with what I've heard too. I don't know why anyone besides Axl Rose would deliberately be that douchey without a reason... To contribute to the thread, old GnR is pretty good but Axl is a giant bag of douche.

jordanky

Contributor
Reaction score
I've only really been a victim of LSD... Lead singer disorder. A band I played in for about five years, this guy was in it the last three. Dude wouldn't get a job, never had any money and when it came time to load in/load out at shows, he would disappear. He'd also BS promoters, and just make up all kinds of off the wall shit to try and get us on major labels, huge shows, tours and festivals without us knowing. Embarassing. We were just a casually active band as well. We would play six to eight shows a month tops. Also the bass player was always super late to rehearsal and shows and preferred the bottle over his band.

thedonal

Reaction score
I'm shocked no one else has commented on the following:

Regarding band situations: I am that guy that others hate. *laugh*

And, by that guy, I mean that I don't want to waste my practice time with people learning their parts, but instead want to put together the individual parts people have been working on in their own time.

I want to present and be presented with new material, so that we can take it home to discuss next time.

I want to play, and then sit down after the playing part of the rehearsal, and while we're drinking a beer or tea listen to the recording/tape/whatever of what we just played together, and see what each member needs to work on.

I want people to be able to criticize each other (yes, including me), and for people to be open to taking criticism constructively. That's why there's a tape, so I don't have to listen to, say, a drummer telling us that we got a chord progression wrong or hit wrong notes.

I've got to say, I've been lucky in that I've mostly been in groups where there was a good selection process, eliminating potential problems and divas/divos right off the bat. If we can't find a member which gels, we can keep looking....

Wow. Talk about expectations. Have you actually met any musicians recently? :lol:

Latest posts

')