Got a band you like (or are in) but can't stand another member?

• Thread starter M3CHK1LLA
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
i was watching a couple "rock & roll" type movies like spinal tap, the rocker, & airheads & all the band stereotypes are there :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Joeywilson

Banned
Reaction score
As generic as it sounds, everyone in my band is pretty much family, we sometimes disagree with eachother about things but that happens. My best friend in the entire world is our bass player so I'm happy haha. He wasn't in the band durring our last tour so I'm soooooo stoked to hit the road again this Spring.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
I don't know anything about their lyrics, but as a person, Oli is a piece of shit. A few years ago he decided to throw a chair at someone I knew. She hadn't said anything or provoked it in anyway. He just decided to be a dick to her.

Seems he's got a reputation for things like this. Fuck him

I have heard a lot of shit about him too, from friend's personal experiences of him. He's not that great a vocalist either to be honest.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
I won't go into my old band, but my current project.

My drummer is like a brother to me, we've not even known each other that long but we both have similar... issues... and we take good care of each other. However when we play, he says he loves AAL and that kinda thing and he wants push it really hard and get Vildhjarta, Monuments, Meshuggah esque grooves, we come up with something with a cool melody but lacks groove, I add a bit of syncopation or tell him to play the drums to a different time signature and he says I'm overcomplicating it. When I do the EXACT same process without him (superior drummer :lol:) he loves it.

tbh, if that's our biggest problem, I'm happy.

My old band was just one big pile of 'personality', i.e. everybody was pretty much full of it, full of ego, everybody tried to avoid paying for stuff (except the guitarist and me) and everybody had a massively inflated view as to how successful the band was...

/rant

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Threads in which people shit on their band members :yesway:

MitchellJBurgess

Reaction score
Ughh, the drummer of my band,
He's an awsome guy, buy he's also a fucking wanker.
He sluts around with girls and listens to punk, which is okay with me no matter how much I hate the genre, but. He's like "Hi I'm in a heavy metal band but if anybody tries to make me do a blast beat or double kicks I'm going to cry about how 'musically un-knowledgable' it is.
Plus he hates Trivium because once somebody said they sound like Metallica.

Basically, He's a douchebag. But a fucking awsome drummer.
But.
Still a douchebag.

renzoip

I Am the Table
Reaction score
I've always been lucky to have cool band members who got along well and were like minded. But in my current band, this isn't the case. We all have very different personal views, which is fine with me; we don't have to write about politics/religion if we all don't share similar views. But the problem is that my singer and my keyboardist can't stand each other and thing are becoming really awkward for the rest of the band as they both have very straight forward attitudes and spend most of the time arguing/criticizing each other negatively wether it is on Facebook or at rehearsals.

It becoming more and more difficult to side with either one of them as they both are kinda flaky, but they are both extremely talented. On one hand, my singer is much more cooperative when it comes to writing, but she is missing rehearsals more often than the keyboardist, and because she isn't even discrete about her dislike for him, band practice is uncomfortable and the rest of us don't know what to do. My keyboardist on the other hand, is horrible to work with, he pretty much wants us to play his compositions without and kind of alterations, which is annoying for the rest of us since he wasn't even a founding member.

I can see why they have problems with each other but I think they are both in the wrong here. But let's just say neither of them are very easy to talk to.

Any suggestions? :idea:

ChrisRushing

Fretboard Acrobat
Reaction score
I've always been lucky to have cool band members who got along well and were like minded. But in my current band, this isn't the case. We all have very different personal views, which is fine with me; we don't have to write about politics/religion if we all don't share similar views. But the problem is that my singer and my keyboardist can't stand each other and thing are becoming really awkward for the rest of the band as they both have very straight forward attitudes and spend most of the time arguing/criticizing each other negatively wether it is on Facebook or at rehearsals.

It becoming more and more difficult to side with either one of them as they both are kinda flaky, but they are both extremely talented. On one hand, my singer is much more cooperative when it comes to writing, but she is missing rehearsals more often than the keyboardist, and because she isn't even discrete about her dislike for him, band practice is uncomfortable and the rest of us don't know what to do. My keyboardist on the other hand, is horrible to work with, he pretty much wants us to play his compositions without and kind of alterations, which is annoying for the rest of us since he wasn't even a founding member.

I can see why they have problems with each other but I think they are both in the wrong here. But let's just say neither of them are very easy to talk to.

Any suggestions? :idea:

Every situation is going to be different but it has been my experience to stick with the person who causes the least amount of trouble amongst the entire group (Regardless of who is actually more talented). The thing is that the little differences in your personal beliefs and stuff might not be that big of a deal for a 2-3 hour rehearsal once or twice a week but realistically if you are going to tour extensively or even do some weekend warrior type shows...you need to be able to not only depend on these people but be able to co-exist with them in not so great conditions. You think they dislike each other now...put them in a van packed to the ceiling with gear and drive them around the country for a couple days/weeks straight with no sleep and shitty fast food.
The bands that I have been in that have "worked" and stayed together were the bands that ALL of the members were friends and able to associate/hang out with each other outside of band functions/duties. Obviously there will be little disputes here and there but this is why so many bands fail. It IS a RELATIONSHIP with MULTIPLE people involved. It isn't easy to always keep everyone happy.
In our group we have a rule that any decision (no matter what it involves...song writing, shows we accept, artwork, whatever) must have a "yes" from everyone. It can be frustrating at times but it insures that we don't ever do anything that all members (3 in our case) aren't behind 100%.

renzoip

I Am the Table
Reaction score
You are right, I'll talk about this with the other members of the band and see who is the most problematic here. I will keep things based on consensus although it may be difficult at times, like you said. Specially in my case since we are 6 freaking people! :nuts:

ChrisRushing

Fretboard Acrobat
Reaction score
Also, you didn't go into specifics but perhaps some of the issues can be mediated between the two. Often, shit like this happens because the people involved are terrible communicators. It sucks to be the middleman but if they really are both talented and the issues are petty perhaps you can minimize them by stepping in and helping to work out some of the problems. Of course, some people are just dicks and don't get a long with anyone regardless so it could be a waste of time.

kris_jammage

Reaction score
I hate the other guitarist in my band although he is my best friend and we actually live in the same apartment. He outright refuses to try 7 strings, refuses to try new tunings outside of drop C and refuses to listen to any new metal bands(Past the year 2000). He's a punk by nature but loves playing metal as he see's it as more fun to play than punk. He's very confusing. But... the band wouldnt be the same without his punk influences or his stubborness.

WhiteWalls

Reaction score
I play in two bands and i don't hate anyone, but i'm positive that i'm the most hated :lol:
The thing is, since i started producing/recording local bands, my hearing improved a lot and i can hear every single mistake at rehearsals, so i'm the guy who always has to tell each member of the band the mistakes they made, and that makes me a dick from their point of view because they know i make mistakes too. the difference is that every time i mess up i realize it, while they usually don't and do it again, even if their technique is much better than mine.
Recording our rehearsals is essential to solve this problem and we do it every time we can.

I'm also the most hated because when i think something is wrong, i just say it right away, because i expect my bandmates to be mature enough to accept direct criticism without getting mad at me. If somebody tells me "your sweep picking is really bad" (which is true :lol:) i don't take it as an insult, i try to understand what i'm doing wrong so that i can improve on it.
And i understand that it might piss people off, but i've seen too many local bands full of talented musicians literally fall apart after a year because they let things slide to "keep everybody happy", but it just it just ends up in everyone having grudges and discontent so we all decided that if there's a disagreement we all say clearly our opinion and then work from there.
As many have already said, this is really a relationship, and you don't want lies and grudges plaguing something that you do in your free time just to have fun.

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
was watching "cliff'em all" and wondered what metallica would have been like if they hadn't kicked mustaine out...

Reaction score
My band, as it stand right now, has the perfect friend line-up. We're like brothers, really.

Things weren't always this cool ;

The band started when my cousin, who was always socially retarded, got his first guitar. He started playing it pretty well, from what I knew, and I thought it would be cool to get a guitar and play along with him. So, I got a guitar and a bass. Back then, I really liked the bass more so I played that with him. We covered almost ever System of a Down song we could. Then, he told me that his neighbor, who was his friend, played drums. We went over, I met him. (Time out ; My cousin and all the other band members went to a different school than me. I'm the outsider, location wise) He was a nice kid, kind of soft spoken. As time went on, me and the drummer became really good friends, we would skate together, go to his other friends houses...basically leaving out my cousin. Our original music was like...it was awful:squint: Just stupid little guitar doodles with bass and drums.

Then, we got into August Burns Red...well me and the drummer did. Our guitarist listened to SOAD and freakin' Dethklok. He became incapable of writing anything but a galloping hammer-on/pull-off riff. It was so damn annoying:scream:

So, we thought we would bring in the drummers other friend, who was good at guitar. We brought him, and he became a really good friend. That's when we wrote our first awesome song. Then, we got our vocalist. He was another one of the drummers friends.

We were doing pretty good. We got a show. We were all so excited, we were all so pumped to play on a stage. It was a HUGE local show with the best local bands. Probably about 200 people. Now, we all did our stage diddy. Stomped/jumped/spun, all the stuff that we felt. We looked back at the video...my cousin, the guitarist stood there the whole time...no presence.

So, we started to kind of ignore him. We told him kind of bluntly that he wasn't part of our musical vision and that he never contributed to our song writing. He thought we were joking. Then, we REALLY started to ignore him and brought in a friend who has been taught by an amazing guitarist for 6 years. This new guitarist is pretty much a BAMF at guitar. He pretty much thrives on After the Burial and Veil of Maya. It's amazing. So, we had to kick my cousin out of the band. His amp and guitar were still in our practice space...so when he wasnt home, we took all the stuff out of the practice space and put it on his proch. He got the message.

He still talks to me at family gatherings. He has this weird complex where he thinks if he gets a different band, that I owe him shows and stuff. It pisses me off.

TL;DR
Started a band with my socially inept cousin
Cousin was musically inept
Kicked him out
We're good now
Life is cool
Drugs aren't:fawk:

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
^ Your story had nothing to do with drugs... :scratch:

After you synopsis at the end I read the whole thing looking for juicy drug related drama... Nothing. I am disappoint.

The only thing I really every have a problem with is communicating with drummers but I think that's more a problem of my inability to communicate than a qualm I should have with the drummers. :lol:

uncle_sprinter

Funny user title
Reaction score
I hate zack wylde but i love Ozzy Osbourne. So you can imagine the dilema when i listen to anything by Ozzy with squeely dan in it.

')