Got to play an old HM strat...

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
One of the music stores on Denmark Street has a pink HM Strat (from '88 IIRC) in the window at the moment, and given that I've always liked the look of these guitars I had to try it. The first time I played the thing I was actually really really disappointed. The trem (a Kahler Spyder) needed some serious work, the strings were really old, and the shape of the neck wasn't that great compared to my Jackson six-string with similar specs (hard to put my finger on why...it just felt odd). Plus, the PUs (stock Fender SSH configuration) sounded pretty crappy (way too toppy and characterless) and would almost certainly need to be swopped out.
I came back later after they taken the thing apart, cleaned it, and put it back together and had another play, and although it was an improvement, it still didn't feel like it was worth the £400+ price-tag.
It's funny, as I'd always imagined I'd like Kahlers, given what I'd read about them, but the one on that guitar just felt floppy compared to the Floyds on my Yamaha and Jackson sixes, and the flutters that I do so adore didn't come out at all. It could be it's just something I'd have to get used to, but...
In light of all that I made my excuses and said I'd think about it... I don't think I've ever been so disappointed in a guitar before...

Ah well, live and learn... If other London forumites get a chance they should go check it out and see whether I'm just being wierd...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jacksonplayer

The Fusion Guy!
Contributor
Reaction score
I owned one of these back in the day, and it was a monster. In my experience, they vary wildly in terms of neck shape and sound. They've started to get more expensive for some reason and are no longer the good value they were four or five years ago.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I owned one of these back in the day, and it was a monster. In my experience, they vary wildly in terms of neck shape and sound. They've started to get more expensive for some reason and are no longer the good value they were four or five years ago.

I'd suspected that might me the case when I played it. I can't believe they'd have the rep they do if they were all like the one in that shop.

maliciousteve

Contributor
Reaction score
I don't think I'd like it. Mainly cause it's bloody pink :shrug: I wouldn't get along with the trem. Old trems + Me = not a good couple.

But I think I'd get along with the neck and the sound. Been playing my scalloped neck strat alot lately.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I don't think I'd like it. Mainly cause it's bloody pink :shrug: I wouldn't get along with the trem. Old trems + Me = not a good couple.

But I think I'd get along with the neck and the sound. Been playing my scalloped neck strat alot lately.

That's part of the problem. I loooooooove decent strat necks, but this one felt almost like someone had taken a cheap Squier strat, sanded the fretboard flat, and put insanely narrow frets on it. It just felt wierd.

...And yeah, old trems blow. My Jackson came with a really worn out trem that I persevered with for ages before finally swopping it for a decent one. When I got the new one in it was like a breath of fresh air. The other thing which bothered me about it is that the particular make of Kahler they use on the HMs isn't made any more, and tracking down replacement parts is a major bitch (check Lori Linstruth's website...there are a few rants about her HM strats there).

jacksonplayer

The Fusion Guy!
Contributor
Reaction score
My HM Strat was only a couple of years old when I owned it, so I didn't have any problem with the trem, but the Kahler Spyder thing has kept me from buying another in recent years (that and the inconsistent quality). Mine had a neck shape much like a San Dimas-era Charvel, and the notes just about jumped off the fretboard.

If you search long enough, you can find one of the later ones from 1991-92 that had an OFR. They are easily distinguished because they replaced the big "Strat" logo on the headstock with a more traditional one that said Strat in smaller tech-looking letters beside a regular-sized Fender logo. They're not very common, since they were made in the dying days of the shred era and didn't sell well. These ones were made in Japan and are said to be higher quality, but I've never actually played one.

The original HM Strats were assembled in the USA from Japanese parts, during an era in which the USA Fenders weren't all that great.

Russ

Reaction score
I think every guitarist should own a Strat. :agreed:

Yea, I cut my teeth on that bad boy back in early 90's or something like that... Pink and all - $400... Man, talk about a love-hate relationship... It was the best ax I could afford back then, but man did I catch hell for that pink finish!

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I think every guitarist should own a Strat. :agreed:

:agreed: My brother keeps saying he wants to sell me his strat (which is an awesome guitar, but never gets played since he got his Jaguar), and I'd really like to once I've got a steady income rolling... Awesome neck, great sound, and one of the most perfect trems I've ever tried (seriously).

TMatt142

vagitarian
Reaction score
I had a white one, think I bought it from the shop in town after it sat hanging in the store for a good 3 years so I got a really good deal on it...I bought it mainly because thats what Greg Howe was endorsing at the time. I did really enjoy it though. The Spyder trem pretty much sucked ass but I figured out how to tame the thing after awhile. Sold it a couple of years ago on "the bay" to a collector in Fla. I made it cool looking by sanding the headstocks queer black and graphic "STRAT" logo off. Wished I would have hung on to the thing cause I see they have really jumped up in price lately. I still sold it for more than I originally paid for it....

')