Gotoh Floyd builders? More affordable Suhr?

• Thread starter surge
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

surge

Reaction score
So I am wondering if anyone knows of any other builders that use this bridge, aside from Suhr, particularly ones that sell more affordable ($1-2K USD new) six string guitars.

I would love to get a Suhr, no doubt, but I’m not really interested in spending Suhr level money on a guitar at the moment 🫣

IMO — this is probably the best version of the fine tuner floating Floyd style bridge (non low profile)…just my own personal opinion here, I’m not asking anyone else to agree, that’s fine if you have different preferences.

Attachments

• B00FFC03-597C-4EEC-9890-B4E102F941D6.jpeg
    B00FFC03-597C-4EEC-9890-B4E102F941D6.jpeg
    735.9 KB · Views: 92

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

oremus91

Melodeth-er
Reaction score
The current japanese Jackson guitars are using gotoh floyds, although I wouldn't say that they are like Suhr at all. The charvel rick graham would be the closest MJ FMIC guitar to a Suhr, though it has no floyd rose.

Omzig

Reaction score
Get something with a higher lvl floyd, swap it out for a Gotoh and then sell the OFR Floyd....I did the same on a HB SC-Custom II FR & sold the Gold floyd for 2/3 of what id paided for the whole guitar.

Sslfetish

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Gotohs really look and feel like the Rolex of fr style trems. Only catch is matching nuts and tuners are all sold separately. The feel of the fine tuners is sublime compared to ofr. If , thats if you can find any.
Screenshot_20220925_134904_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220925_135104_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220907-134252_Messages.jpg

jl-austin

Reaction score
I would say for around 1kish, Charvel DK24 replace the tremolo (which is SUPER easy, I've even done it).

The tremolo in DK24 is the 1000 series floyd, which isn't a bad tremolo, either to sell or to keep for another project.

diogoguitar

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
what is it that you don't like about the Floyd Rose Original? I prefer gotoh too, but I don't have a strong preference over it.

In case you prefer push in style arm, that's an $18 upgrade... I did it on my Jackson

1664210995724.png

BrutalRob

Reaction score
In case you prefer push in style arm, that's an $18 upgrade... I did it on my Jackson
Did this, too, on my Schaller Lockmeister but on Gotoh it is not only push in but also screw in. There´s a thread inside the arm.

I also vastly prefer the Gotoh. My only complaint is their locking nuts. their radiuses make no sense compared to the radius of the bridge and the thickest string that fits is a 46.

Krystof

Reaction score
Gotoh Floyds are my preferred trems as well, the bevel on the saddles makes it much more comfortable to rest the palm on the bridge compared to other Floyd bridges in my opinion

Maybe look into Schecter Japan? They use Gotoh Floyd with Schecter branding on the baseplate I believe. The neck shape would be pretty similar to Suhr/TAs as well if I remember correctly

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Maybe look into Schecter Japan? They use Gotoh Floyd with Schecter branding on the baseplate I believe. The neck shape would be pretty similar to Suhr/TAs as well if I remember correctly
Good call. Some of them are outright clones.

ClownShoes

Reaction score
Only Suhr & Jackson/Charvel/ MJ come with them stock. Older Music Man Axis too.

As mentioned JDM models of various brands come with them.

ClownShoes

Reaction score
Good call. Some of them are outright clones.
Tom Anderson clones, since he used to work there.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Old Music Man guitars (I think pre-2014) did. And I MIGHT be wrong but I think old USA Peavey Floyd Roses were made by Gotoh.

AltecGreen

Reaction score
So I am wondering if anyone knows of any other builders that use this bridge, aside from Suhr, particularly ones that sell more affordable ($1-2K USD new) six string guitars.

I would love to get a Suhr, no doubt, but I’m not really interested in spending Suhr level money on a guitar at the moment 🫣

IMO — this is probably the best version of the fine tuner floating Floyd style bridge (non low profile)…just my own personal opinion here, I’m not asking anyone else to agree, that’s fine if you have different preferences.
I know of many Japanese builders but the prices are as high or higher than a Suhr.

surge

Reaction score
Get something with a higher lvl floyd, swap it out for a Gotoh and then sell the OFR Floyd....I did the same on a HB SC-Custom II FR & sold the Gold floyd for 2/3 of what id paided for the whole guitar.
That’s exactly what I’m thinking of doing right now…the Gotoh Floyd is a drop in replacement for an OFR right?

What about the locking studs from Gotoh? I wonder how difficult they are to install and replace the stock non locking OFR studs…

These new Jackson’s and Charvels that have the Gotoh bridges look amazing but none of them have stainless steel frets sadly.

For whatever reason I’m digging 22 fret guitars lately so I’m thinking of getting the American Ultra Luxe strat (probably a mint used one since new they’re a bit pricey) with OFR and then swapping it for the Gotoh.

surge

Reaction score
what is it that you don't like about the Floyd Rose Original? I prefer gotoh too, but I don't have a strong preference over it.

View attachment 114989
The Gotoh trems have locking studs (like Ibanez) and the saddles feel a lot nicer when palm muting. They also tend to be a lot more corrosion resistant if you sweat a lot while playing like I do, since made from higher quality metals. They also come stock with nicer blocks. Someone else put it perfectly, they’re the rolex of double locking trems.

The newer OFRs with push in arm and stainless screws are definitely a lot nicer than the older ones though, but for me still not as good as a Gotoh.

')