Gotoh Floyd builders? More affordable Suhr?

• Thread starter surge
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sslfetish

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So I am wondering if anyone knows of any other builders that use this bridge, aside from Suhr, particularly ones that sell more affordable ($1-2K USD new) six string guitars.

I would love to get a Suhr, no doubt, but I’m not really interested in spending Suhr level money on a guitar at the moment 🫣

IMO — this is probably the best version of the fine tuner floating Floyd style bridge (non low profile)…just my own personal opinion here, I’m not asking anyone else to agree, that’s fine if you have different preferences.
Gotohs fine tuners are on a different level. Smooth baby smooth 😎
20230726_160531.jpg
Screenshot_20230910_122322_Gallery.jpg

surge

Reaction score
Nah, more like the Seiko of double locking trems. Hantug is closer to the Rolex than gotoh.
Hantug are ridiculous, they are perpetually out of stock of everything, unless you’re a giant builder like Aristides etc that orders by the 1000s of units. I always wanted that Lo-Pro they had though, that was pretty sick. I don’t think they make them anymore. They also had anodized colored options back in the day too, looks like that’s gone now as well lol.

Last edited:

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, that nut looks awesome. Of course, I already have 7 properly-shimmed Floyds, but that won't stop me!

surge

Reaction score
That looks awesome…slide players are going to love that. Unfortunately it’s still got a fixed radius. And I suspect they will be out of stock for 2 years!
Sorry for the confusion. Hantug has the adjustable Floyd nut coming out some time soon. Should still be pairable with the Gotoh though.

14Fishes

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Since new Gotoh products are being discussed in this thread, does anyone have any info on these new locking saddles/trems with locking saddles? Mainly availability and pricing.

I'm guessing they are brand new as there doesn't appear to be any information or pricing out there that I could find yesterday. Stumbled upon them while researching Gotoh trems and Wilkinson locking saddles for a project guitar. Wilkinson's "only available in steel" don't match the black hardware aesthetic I want, so was pleased when I saw the Gotoh alternative. I'm not qualified to comment on whether that little flap of metal can exert enough pressure on the string for these to be effective, I'm just going to assume they know what they're doing.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
Since new Gotoh products are being discussed in this thread, does anyone have any info on these new locking saddles/trems with locking saddles? Mainly availability and pricing.

I'm guessing they are brand new as there doesn't appear to be any information or pricing out there that I could find yesterday. Stumbled upon them while researching Gotoh trems and Wilkinson locking saddles for a project guitar. Wilkinson's "only available in steel" don't match the black hardware aesthetic I want, so was pleased when I saw the Gotoh alternative. I'm not qualified to comment on whether that little flap of metal can exert enough pressure on the string for these to be effective, I'm just going to assume they know what they're doing.
That is kinda weird. I can't imagine Gotoh putting out something that doesn't work, though.

surge

Reaction score

The Wilkinson locking saddles SUCK

They won’t work on traditional bridge plates because the action height screws are in the wrong place (despite Wilkinson’s claims to the contrary) — so you basically HAVE to use their bridge plate, which has the correct grooves in each of the six saddle spots…which, I mean fine, okay I’ll buy it — EXCEPT it’s got a slightly different cut out shape than the Gotoh 510, meaning it’s not compatible, unless you’ve got a non recessed bridge. Ugh. They look exactly the same online too. What a waste of time and money that was.

Wilkinson also doesn’t offer a six screw version of the baseplate in narrow string spacing either, so there goes compatibility with any and all modern Fender or Squier guitars, or similar.

The Wilkinson locking saddles are also made out of cheap material and the coating / color options are meh too.

Those new Gotoh models look awesome, but yeah weird design…can’t wait to try one.

I can’t imagine Gotoh developing a product like that that hasn’t been tested, but there’s gotta be some kind of patent issues going on…can’t really think of any other reason why they would design them like that, lol. Unless there’s some advantage I’m not seeing 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
')