Gotoh GE1996T-7

• Thread starter mrblue
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mrblue

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hello,
I have a Solar guitar with a 7-string Floyd Rose Special. I'd like replace it with a Gotoh GE1996T-7. Does anyone know if this would be a drop-in replacement? I've read the Gotoh locking studs are larger than the FR studs. I prefer to not have to go through the trouble of replacing the studs, so does anyone know if the Gotoh baseplate would work with the existing FR studs?
Thank you.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Edika

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a Solar guitar with a 7-string Floyd Rose Special. I'd like replace it with a Gotoh GE1996T-7. Does anyone know if this would be a drop-in replacement? I've read the Gotoh locking studs are larger than the FR studs. I prefer to not have to go through the trouble of replacing the studs, so does anyone know if the Gotoh baseplate would work with the existing FR studs?
Thank you.

In terms of the posts it will work but double check the dimensions of the trem and the Floyd Special so you'll be sure it fits in the cavity. What I know though, is that if there's an issue with the Gotoh trem, or it doesn't hold stability that well, then you're not covered by warranty because you didn't use the studs provided.

On another note, I thought even the second tier Solars had Floyds 1000. This is the first I hear about one having a Floyd special unless someone replaced it before coming to your possession.

ASoC

Downpicker \m/
Reaction score
cant speak to the 7 string version, but the regular Gotoh GE1996T is a direct drop in for Floyds. I had a 2020 Fender HM Strat that came with a Floyd Special and I replaced it with a Gotoh with no other modifications or hitches. Assuming Gotoh is being consistent I'd guess that the 7 string version also drops in, but thats more educated guess than hard knowledge

MaxAidingAres

Reaction score
It should fit, if you look on the 1996-7 trem youll notice the left knife edge is flat insted of curved like the right which helps with lining it up. Only thing you need to be concerned about is the trem block depth. They have different size. Dont get one too big as it will stick out and or affect the spring pull on the back. All in all. It should work. However one other thing to note is the studs the trem sit on are a cheap material for the fr special. Check it before installing the gotoh as they might be grooved out and therefore affect the center point for the knife edge.

Edit. The width of the trem is shorter so there will be a gap, that may or may not affect the fit of the post points. Keep that in mind!

Extra edit lol:
Researched a little bit more. The fr 1000 special as a post spacing of 86.5mm where as the gotoh is 84.8mm. Again with the flat part on the gotoh there is a little bit of wiggle room but not much

Last edited:
')