GP-1000 tech questions

• Thread starter nikki-k
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nikki-k

Reaction score
Hi!
I have a Perfect Connection GP-1000 (Lee Jackson, '88 model) that I really like alot, but need to sell (times is hard everywhere :( ). Before I do, I want to be sure it is working properly. It has always sounded great to me, but the tone section seems odd.

If I turn all 3 tone controls (treble, mid, bass) off (full counter-clockwise), there is no sound. Turn up one of them, and that frequency range sounds; for example, turn all three "off," and then slowly bring up treble, and I get sound.. "treble" sound. Make sense? And if so, is it supposed to be like that?

Mid-shift and push/pulls work as I would expect. The 3 controls do what I described regardless of mid-shift and push/pull settings.

Lastly, the tone controls have never been.. drastic. IOW, if I have it sounding good (to me), and move the bass control from full up to off, it is not as drastic as, say, with a Marshall JSM800. Maybe Lee made it to be more subtle?

So, if anyone has owned one of these from this era (I heard there are 4 different circuits he used?), could you let me know if this is how it should work? Like I said- it sounds great to me, I always loved the sound ("No Rest For The Wicked"). Before I bought it, I was told, "Well, it does one sound, does it well, but that's it." Most of the best amps I have liked are like that though :D
thx for any help!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nikki-k

Reaction score
Thx!
Yeah, I wrote to him during the week, but figured no response (yet) was due to NAMM and all. Problem is, I really need to get it sold ASAP. I had to pick something to sell, and if it is working properly, unfortunately, it has to go (I have an RM4 and modules, so I will be ok... I hope..). Figure if someone owns or owned one they might know. Tempted to join the CoB forums just to ask...