Great tutorial on recording heavy guitars

Sliggy

Reaction score
It's Tim Gilles. Produces bands like Madball, Agnostic Front, Thursday, Taking Back Sunday etc.

devil

ร๏ภ ๏Ŧ tђє รאรtє๓
Reaction score
I'm going to give Fletcher a stock Tele, a stock Twin, and 8 million years to get the "Carcass" guitar tone. He may get something he or others believe is 'good', 'heavy', or 'whatever'. But you ain't gonna get that guitar and amp combination to give you the level of distortion, saturation and flat out square wave rectification activity yer gonna get from a Les Paul Standard with EMG's into a Mesa triple rectifier.

that sums up the last 5 years of arguments ive had with idiots i.e. guitar center people

why im talking to GC people is a mystery

great find!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Vigil87420

Reaction score
Would anyone be able to shed more light on what he means by "cabinet involvement"? He mentions in the next paragraph "the point at which the cabinet started to get 'involved' in the low end," but I'm not totally sure what that means.

Cuda

Macross Music Maniac
Reaction score

:bowdown:

Damn, all I ever needed to know about recording, freal.

With such a nasty attitude talking about musicians, well, you know he can't be wrong about anything with that much experience to be that jaded :rofl:

coreysMonster

Abrakadabro
Reaction score
my browser is telling me the website is registered as a "suspicious website" (translated from german). Is anyone else getting this notice?

jl_killer

Reaction score
Yes Firefox told me the same warnings about Malware infestation! Too damn bad i really want to read this!

The Honorable

Reaction score
I feel kind of embarrassed to say this but I cant understand what the fk that guy is talking about. Maybe i'm an idiot lol. He does not talk normal lol.

Yeah he sounds really knowledgeable but I can't understand anything. It's like every line is a inside joke. Wish I could understand it!

guy in latvia

Reaction score
the parametric eq with 17 frequencies is really amazing stuff, does anyone have something like that for bass guitar? now that ive made the guitar sound uber fat i can barely hear the bass, any suggestions?

Nile

Giver of the Likes
Reaction score
Thumbnail sketch for anyone too lazy to read the whole thing (which you should anyway)

Also, for comic value:Get 'twinkie' to play some VERY REPETITIVE chord stuff that omits the 'chugging' for a couple of minutes. Tell him that when you need him to stop playing, he must stop playing IMMEDIATELY or you will fucking KILL him. Pet the handgun every sane engineer keeps on top of the console lovingly, like a favorite cat, as you say this. Look purposefully and coldly THRU him and say these EXACT WORDS.

"IF YOU DON'T STOP PLAYING EXACTLY WHEN I SAY STOP... I'M GOING TO SHOOT AND SHOOT AND CONTINUE TO SHOOT YOU UNTIL I RUN OUT OF AMMUNITION..... THEN I'M GOING TO RESUME SHOOTING YOU AFTER 'ASS-BOY'(point at shivering assistant) GETS BACK FROM THE GUN SHOP WITH MY REPLACEMENT AMMO".
im 6 years late but, :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Ryan-ZenGtr-

Reaction score
Necro bump, but I guess the noobs should read it...... Maybe..... Mods?

Are we keeping this secret? :D

I keep a gun in my studio for times like these. I call it "MOTIVATION". It's a Mexican knock off S&W 6 shooter.

38_special_4.jpg

*That's a .38, but gives you the right idea. Mines deactivated BTW... I hope I never have to work with anyone that sees this :rofl:*

Slipperman is great. It's like a glimpse into the future. :D

in-pursuit

Reaction score
there are so many very simple concepts that he's talking about that I'm not understanding. no wonder I hate recording anything distorted/heavy haha!

crazyprofessor

Reaction score
I am going to cite some of you guys:

"This guy Is an AE Encylopedia "

"o this guy is a hero =) "

"Man, this is deep."

etc, etc.

I do not share your fanboy opinions. This guy is mostly full of shit. Not that the doesn't know anything. Surely he does. There is some useful information in there. Sure. But most of it is a A BUNCH OF MEANINGLESS RANT. Most of it.

His writing suggests that he is not interested in teaching anyone what he knows. If he did, it would be stating things clearly. Make nice diagrams. His discussion is to the contrary full of impenetrable profane laced rants which interspersed with just occasional, rare references to the topic matter. This rant is designed to make him seem smart and knowledgeable without actually providing much specific advice.

All sorts of professions have these types of characters who invents their own language in an effort to seem more important and knowledgable than they are. These guys pop up in all sorts of professions. Most of the time they are nothing but posers.