Great tutorial on recording heavy guitars

ghost_of_karelia

Utrydd dei Svake
Reaction score
Great article, except for most of the time I was reading I had to double-take every sentence because I have NO IDEA what he's saying. It's hard enough for an idiot like me to understand what boosting/cutting different frequencies does to your tone/mix without someone using so many weird metaphors and similes that you end up wondering if he's invented a new language.

espshredder

Reaction score
Slipperman's Recording Distorted Guitars From Hell

I'm halfway through this one now. I have no idea who the guy is, although I gather he's done a lot of nu-metal production. Reading this, I don't fault the guy for it, it's an interesting read, and ....in hilarious.

It doesn't get into multi-mic'ing a rig, which was what I was curious about, but the opening couple pages (!!!) on the physical point at which a speaker and a cabinet begin to interact with a guitar tone and how to best capture tha, while maybe not practical at the home studio level, is excellent.

-D

looks like some good info, but really put off by all the rambling and clutter.

seems difficult to process.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Force

Jackson Addict
Reaction score
I agree 100% with this. This is why I'm so obsessed with getting a perfect rhythm guitar sound. It's hard as hell and yet it's absolutely vital to your recording. When people think of "good production" on a metal album, they're wittingly or unwittingly referring to the sound of the guitar and drums. Bar none.

I agree 100% with this. This is why I'm so obsessed with getting a perfect rhythm guitar sound. It's hard as hell and yet it's absolutely vital to your recording. When people think of "good production" on a metal album, they're wittingly or unwittingly referring to the sound of the guitar and drums.

:scratch: Is there an echo in here?

You're both bang on the money though

Sumsar

Reaction score
I have to say I kinda like it with the weird language and all, I think it is an enjoyable read as well as informative. It's actually nice to read some more down to earth english/american as most of the english I have been reading for the last many years has been academic. (My native language is not english).

### echo ###

I have to say I kinda like it with the weird language and all, I think it is an enjoyable read as well as informative. It's actually nice to read some more down to earth english/american as most of the english I have been reading for the last many years has been academic. (My native language is not english).

### more echo ###

prlgmnr

...that kind of idea
Reaction score
Getting the good information out of this and discarding the rest is a lesson in itself - in a way it's just like the process of mixing, innit?

ryane24

Reaction score
I haven't gotten past the speaker excursion part lol. There's no seeing through the grill on my cabinet, flashlight or not. And I've been driving myself crazy trying to figure whether or not the speaker is moving without cutting a whole in it.:wallbash: