Greatest death metal guitarist

• Thread starter Murder Soul
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

InTheRavensName

Dog says yes ^.^ Yes
Reaction score
Trey and Steer in my book...

...Samoth and Destructor, Toller-Wade and Sanders deserve a mention too

TimSE

Tone Chasr
Contributor
Reaction score
chuck norris!

... the necrophagist guys for me. I think Sam is actaully the better of the two although muhammed writes the stuff.

Edroz

new album soon!
Reaction score
Bob Vigna from Immolation gets my vote. he comes up with stuff that just leave me in utter disbelief.

i think it's awesome JJ from Vile/ Divine Rapture was mentioned. he's from around my neck of the woods. great player and super cool guy too :yesway:. i actually got him to look into Vader cabinets :lol:.

dream-thief

I Am The Anger
Reaction score
Luca Turilli was the greatest guitarist to ever live.

Epic maybe. Not death metal, and hardly technically impressive.

If you want to stat talking power metal guitarists, I could be here for hours, But we'd have to open another thread.

back on topic now -

for me, the dudes from Necrophagist have to own this category, I forget their names.

JBroll

Hard-On For Freedom™
Contributor
Reaction score
Murphy, Shuldiner, Azagthoth, fuckers from Nile, the 'classic' Cryptopsy lineup.

Jeff

ukfswmart

Far too opinionated
Reaction score
My top DM guitarist are...

• Erik Rutan - Probably my biggest influence as a DM guitarist. I basically love what this guy comes out with, and I simply love his style, leads and lead tone. Morbid Angel on all kinds of drugs. 'Eyes To See, Ears To Hear' very clearly stands out as a Rutan composition, and the basics of that can be heard in everything he's done since
  • Vogg - First DM song I ever heard was Winds of Creation, which I think is all I need to say, really. Beautifully clever leads as well; really identifiable style and technique, plus the riffs to boot
  • Muhammed Suicmez - Chops, melodic sensibilities and ultimate technicality. I think if he and Rutan were to pool their respective talents and do something together, I wouldn't listen to anything else ever again
  • Jon LeVasseur - Just amazing. His solos were always so hectic and odd, and the riffs that man came out with are incredible. Once Was Not, dreadful production aside, lacks an awful lot without his input; Alex Auburn simply doesn't have what LeVassuer had

I do like players like O'Brien, Sanders / Toler Wade etc, but I've always found their stuff to be very boring; great, they can shred like beasts but I like my hooks, and I don't feel these guys can write them. Oh, and I'm going to commit ultimate heresy and say that, aside from a Commit Suicide cover of Open Casket, I've never heard any Death :shrug:

JBroll

Hard-On For Freedom™
Contributor
Reaction score
These threads FTL

If you don't like it, don't post. This adds nothing to any conversation.

Also, although only the last few Testament records really fit into death as much as thrash, Eric Peterson kicks all kinds of ass at everything he does.

Jeff

oompa

Ze..
Contributor
Reaction score
Oh, and I'm going to commit ultimate heresy and say that, aside from a Commit Suicide cover of Open Casket, I've never heard any Death :shrug:

educate yourself! i suggest you take a deep dive into the albums Human and Symbolic asap. then hit the rest of their catalogue. then mourn Chuck, and come back and edit your post! :D

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
I just want to add James Malone. Even though Arsis' discography is pretty small, and United In Regret, well, wasn't that hot, A Celebration of Guilt and A Diamond For Disease are disgustingly technical, and extremely melodic to boot. They are simply amazing records. A Diamond For Disease is without a doubt one of THE best death metal songs EVER.

TaronKeim

Fiend
Reaction score
I just want to add James Malone. Even though Arsis' discography is pretty small, and United In Regret, well, wasn't that hot, A Celebration of Guilt and A Diamond For Disease are disgustingly technical, and extremely melodic to boot. They are simply amazing records. A Diamond For Disease is without a doubt one of THE best death metal songs EVER.

Good call dude, I've been rocking them a lot lately as well, and A Diamond For Disease is an extremely awesome DM song.

I'll always be a Chuck worshiper, the amount of feeling he could wrench out of a solo is amazing. An innovator in the true sense of the word.

I also vote for Jon LeVasseur, Cryptopsy is extreme metal/death metal royalty and Jon, Flo aside, is a big reason for it. Huge riffage, spastic solos, borderline noise/avant garde moments and some very tasty tech-moments.

Very special mention: Scott Hull, although associated mostly w/grindcore, always had a DM sensibility to his riffage, he is a pummeling raw machine and Pig Destroyer is one of the most satisfying grindcore groups around. Scott is catchy as can be, heavy, inventive and has an old school flare that I find really appealing.

_TJK*

DDDorian

Mantis Toboggan, M.D
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't think I mentioned him the first time around, but major kudos to Luc Lemay from Gorguts, who has come up with some surreal stuff. +54389058 to whoever mentioned Robert Vigna too, Immolation owns your soul:kd:

MatthewK

Reaction score
Paul Masvidal for me. Muhammad is probably my second choice, but Paul is much more interesting IMO. I don't listen to a lot of death metal really.

')