Greg Howe is now with Carvin (24 Fret Bolt-On Coming)

Xiphos68

Reaction score
Some of you may have or have not noticed that Greg has been playing some Carvins at his clinic and posting pictures of playing them on his instagram plus Facebook page. Apparently, he is now working with Carvin and he went into detail how he began working with them and the relationship with Laguna. Really happy to hear that he is truly with a quality guitar company among the other Legends with Carvin. :yesway: Plus Carvin will be releasing a 24 Fret Bolt-On guitar with him. I know some of you Carvin guys have been waiting quite somtime. :) Thank you Greg Howe!

Howe: Ah OK, yeah. So he’s a really nice guy, and very well known, and very talented. But he was the one who developed the line and then they sent me some guitars in 2006 and again it was like the DV Mark thing.

I said, “These are cool but there’s nothing here that's really working for me.” About a year later, there were two new people that Guitar Center had hired to come on and oversee the Laguna project and they said, “Greg, it looks like a year ago we sent you some stuff you didn’t care for. We were just curious, why didn’t you like it?”

And I just explained to them that it just didn’t work for me. And they said, “Well, what would it take for you to like it?” and I said, “Well, I need this, I need that, I have to change this, I want blah blah blah.” And they said, “Well, OK. How about if you come in and design a guitar? Your model for Laguna.”

And I said, “OK.” So I had dinner with the two guys. Our first meeting was a dinner thing in California and I sat down and the very first thing I said was, “I want you guys to know that the last thing I need are more guitars. I don’t need any guitars. I’m not interested in guitars. I’m not interested in free stuff. What I’m interested in is a relationship that’s going to be mutually beneficial, whereby my coming on board helps bring awareness and credibility to your line. And you guys being on board helps support me and my career and keeps me provided with great instruments.

And that we’re always working towards bettering the product. That we can have open dialog and ideas when we work together to just constantly make the product better. That it feels like a relationship, and not just some standard contractual arrangement.

I want it to feel like a relationship where I can call you up and say, “Hey, I was thinking: I was trying this guitar out, you know, and I noticed that when I put this pickup in it, there was a different kind of feel that came to it and, you know, maybe next round we can try this, or whatever, just so we’re always working towards bettering the product.”

So at first, it came out of the box swinging, they just did some big ads, you know, some big stuff. But right after the 2008 economy crunch, Guitar Center just sort of backed out of the whole Laguna thing. Not to mention that Laguna was never available anywhere other than Guitar Center. So you know, you couldn’t get one of these guitars overseas. You couldn’t get this stuff. You couldn’t get them anywhere other than Guitar Center.

Guitar.com: That's kind of limiting.

Howe: And a lot of my fans are overseas. So that was always a bit of a problem. But then like I said, Guitar Center changed their business model a little bit after 2008. It’s just one of the reasons why, when you walk into one of their stores, you probably noticed they cut way back on their inventory, how much inventory they have in stock. It used to be, you walk into a Guitar Center and you ask for almost anything, and they’ve got it in back. Now it’s always, “We don’t have that in stock but we can order it for you.” So that’s the new M.O. at Guitar Center.”

Guitar.com: Right.

Howe: And I think that was part of their thing. And then the other thing was, "We really don't want to get involved in anything that’s going to hinder our bread and butter," you know, their accounts with Fender and Roland and Gibson, and all the things that work for them.

Guitar.com: Right.

Howe: And there was also always, I think, a bit of conflict of interest with Guitar Center putting out a product -- being a retailer and at the same time a products company that’s competing with your own accounts.

I don’t think it makes Ibanez real happy to know that a kid could walk in there and now he’s got a choice between a Laguna that he can get for $400 or an Ibanez he can get for $600. I think there was always a bit of a conflict. So I think Guitar center just decided, “Look let’s just pull the plug.”

They pulled the plug a while ago and the only reason I hadn’t stepped off is because I don’t want the reputation of that guy, you know? I really believed in the LE924, which is the model that I was in on. I still think the guitar is great but I can’t make them release it. So at some point I have to come out and tell everyone that, “As much as I like this guitar, I have to step off because it essentially doesn’t exist anymore.”

So Carvin has been, the company I’ve been interested in for a long time. They’ve been especially interested in me for a long time. The product is great, the quality is great, they’re made in America, so everything is direct order. It’s not cheap stuff down made in Indonesia, it’s made right here in America.

They have a really high standard of quality. They’re one of the few companies that’s actually raising their quality and raising their prices. As opposed to going for quantity and lowering prices and lowering quality. Which is what a lot of the other guitar companies are doing. They seem really interested in, sort of, entering or filling the void of maybe like, what PRS used to be, or like what a Tom Anderson did.

They want to get into that high quality range. They want to be known as almost the boutique market but accessible as a guitar company. Custom order stuff.

If I come on board we’re gonna be doing the first 24-fret bolt-on neck that they have. They don’t have that as of now. The few bolt-ons that they’ve got is 22-fret. Anything 24-fret is neck through.

So, I think it’ll be great. I can serve as a catalyst and so can the model. We’re part of this whole new awareness at Carvin. Not to mention that they’re a great company. They’ve got Frank Gambale, they’ve got Jason Becker, they’ve got Allan Holdsworth. So I’d be in the company of some of the greatest players on the planet. It feels good. They sent me some stuff just to get the feel of their quality. I love it. I really do.

Source: http://www.guitar.com/articles/greg-howe-interview-still-shreddin’-after-all-these-years
A really well done interview! He even talks about working with Richie Kotzen and how he would love to do something or play some shows with him of their old stuff too. Also touring with N'Sync, Michael Jackson. Just a very, very well-done interview.

Yeah, he’s just one of those guys. But yeah I would love to do something with Richie again at some point. That would be fun. I think even if we went out and did some gigs of those albums that we’ve recorded together. I think people would flip out. I think that would be really cool.

Enjoy guys and God Bless!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Fathand

Tube Snake Boogie
Reaction score
Tells a lot about GC/Laguna that I didn't know he had Signature Guitar with anyone, and I like to think that I follow this stuff pretty regularly..

But good for him, he's a great player. The first thing I saw & heard from him was the Gentle Hearts Live DVD, where he was playing with Dennis Chambers and Tetsuo Sakurai (it was his solo album). Amazing stuff.

Cloudy

Pacific Wood Lab
Reaction score
I remember being offered his Laguna sig model in a trade locally ages ago. Guitar was ....ing fantastic but I had never heard of it/couldnt find much info on it online. I understand why GC took the route they did but it definitely wasn't right for the artist.

Carvin 24 bolt on, sounds EXACTLY like what I've always wanted from Carvin. This is great news :D. I've had an ST300 build spec'd out for ages now, Ill see how the bolt 24 comes out.

Last edited:

porknchili

G.A.S.ITIS
Reaction score
24 fret carvin bolt on...

1274779903_glen-big-baby-davis-tongue.gif

Zado

Reaction score
Not to mention that Laguna was never available anywhere other than Guitar Center. So you know, you couldn’t get one of these guitars overseas. You couldn’t get this stuff. You couldn’t get them anywhere other than Guitar Center.

Well,not that with Carvin he got the problem solved,really:lol:

It’s not cheap stuff down made in Indonesia, it’s made right here in America.
Oooh sorry dear,if we can't all afford to purchase US made instruments and have to go with chea asian made stuff:squint:

Cloudy

Pacific Wood Lab
Reaction score
Well,not that with Carvin he got the problem solved,really:lol:

You can order Carvin internationally, its just not cheap. With GC most of their stock literally cannot ship outside of the US, import/exporting laws (granted I dont know if this applies to the Laguna lines or not). I remember back when I had first started playing guitar I ordered an RG350DX through GC, paid in full and received no word that it couldnt be shipped to me. I waited two months before finally calling and asking what the deal was, apparently they werne't allowed to ship that model outside of the US. Would have been nice if they had refunded me/told me but oh well :lol:

edit: Just checked, the Laguna LE924 Greg endorsed does shipped internationally, so yeah you're right he didnt really fix that issue. Maybe a few EU dealers will stock his signature model or something lol.

I guess a couple getting to europe is better then none. :rofl:

Zado

Reaction score
You can order Carvin internationally, its just not cheap. With GC most of their stock literally cannot ship outside of the US, import/exporting laws (granted I dont know if this applies to the Laguna lines or not). I remember back when I had first started playing guitar I ordered an RG350DX through GC, paid in full and received no word that it couldnt be shipped to me. I waited two months before finally calling and asking what the deal was, apparently they werne't allowed to ship that model outside of the US. Would have been nice if they had refunded me/told me but oh well :lol:

Yup,I can understand that the new signature will be potentially avaiable for EU players,but Greg Howe's not Steve Vai,I seriously doubt the people will actually spend 2k+ € for a guitar that belongs to a guitarist like him...he just lacks the huge fanbase needed to attract a relevant number of customers that absolutely NEED his sign on their guitar.

Cloudy

Pacific Wood Lab
Reaction score
Yup,I can understand that the new signature will be potentially avaiable for EU players,but Greg Howe's not Steve Vai,I seriously doubt the people will actually spend 2k+ € for a guitar that belongs to a guitarist like him...he just lacks the huge fanbase needed to attract a relevant number of customers that absolutely NEED his sign on their guitar.

Do Carvins really cost 2K Euros in Europe? I was expecting his bolt model to cost more around the 1000$~ (+Import fees) mark given Carvins other bolt model prices.

He definitely isn't someone who can sell a boat load of signature models but I think the 24 fret bolt on addition hes bringing to Carvin will sell.

Zado

Reaction score
Of course it depends on the model,but 90% of carvins I've seen here so far have always been pretty upcharged price wise,and Euro's value seems to be quite tragic nowaday,so new imported stuff will be even pricier,hence the 2k I supposed.Another problem is: whenever you decide to get one,you already know you will have to put it on sale for the same value of an Ibanez Premium,and still you wn't be sure to sell it fast enough :ugh:

No doubt in US there will possibly be a certain hype for his signature,but a guy who knows who Greg Howe is,is probaby someone far from being a fanboy,and knows enough about guitars to say "hey,for that much I can get my own customshop model,screw you Gregao!"

Grand Moff Tim

Some call me... Tim
Reaction score
Do Carvins really cost 2K Euros in Europe? I was expecting his bolt model to cost more around the 1000$~ (+Import fees) mark given Carvins other bolt model prices.

A Carvin Bolt-T (or whatever that model's called now) goes for about $2.3k here in Korea, and that's with a gloss black finish on plain wood. I can see prices climbing similarly in the EU.

As usual, that shit bums me out. Many a delicious bass from Carvin I'd love, but I'm just not about to pay their international prices.

ferret

Reaction score

I don't know about international pricing, but I would expect a base model 24-fret bolt to come in at $800-900 US here in the states. But that would be a base model, not a signature model.

If he has an actual sig model, I'd expect more like $1500-1800 with things like standard flame maple top, 5pc neck, etc. Kinda like the Zaza sig, which is basically a CT624 with upgraded options and a tweak or two for Zaza (Like the control layout)

Fathand

Tube Snake Boogie
Reaction score

He definitely isn't someone who can sell a boat load of signature models but I think the 24 fret bolt on addition hes bringing to Carvin will sell.

The basic BO models are around 1300€ in here (Finland), carved top models start at 1800 euros. And I just checked, they still won't give a price to the semihollow (eg. Holdsworth headless) models, you have to spec them out and ask. If I recall correctly a basic/standard spec headless Holdsworth model was 1900€ also when I specced one out and asked. And this is with just the standard specs, the price goes up fast if you want to wander off from them..

BUT - even though I'll admit that I'm one of them who always is bitching about the international pricing I will also admit that compared to standard, run of the mill Fender Artist/Music Man/Gibson Standards they are similarly priced but give at least a limited option palette before you're in the full European custom builder price category. And at some point I'll most likely get a headless Holdsworth, because they're just so friggin' cool.

--
But enough about this, let's give kudos to Carvin for recognizing a great guitar player and working with him to release a signature model. I personally hope it to sell well! :yesway:

Cloudy

Pacific Wood Lab
Reaction score
I don't know about international pricing, but I would expect a base model 24-fret bolt to come in at $800-900 US here in the states. But that would be a base model, not a signature model.

If he has an actual sig model, I'd expect more like $1700-2000 with things like standard flame maple top, 5pc neck, etc. Kinda like the Zaza sig, which is basically a CT624 with upgraded options and a tweak or two for Zaza (Like the control layout)

I'm interested to see if they only release the 24 fret bolt as his signature or if they do a barebones 24 fret bolt and the sig model like Zaza. Ive been expecting them to format it like the holdsworth models where his 'signature' is just an upgraded version of the actual model, hadn't thought about it like Zazas Ct.

edit:
But enough about this, let's give kudos to Carvin for recognizing a great guitar player and working with him to release a signature model. I personally hope it to sell well! :yesway:
Basically this though, Greg Howe is a great player.

Cant wait to see him at NAMM with this new model, prices aside its a good step for Carvin.

edsped

Reaction score
So is the LE924 currently discontinued or going to be discontinued or what? I've checked on them periodically over the past like year and it's always in stock on Musician's Friend. I guess this might be my excuse to finally buy one.

Also YES 24 FRET BOLT-ON CARVIN FINALLY

Jack Secret

Reaction score
Greg has the right attitude. Glad to see he's about mutually benefiting from an endorsement and not shilling for free gear.

Church2224

Guitar Whore
Reaction score
"They have a really high standard of quality. They’re one of the few companies that’s actually raising their quality and raising their prices. As opposed to going for quantity and lowering prices and lowering quality. Which is what a lot of the other guitar companies are doing. They seem really interested in, sort of, entering or filling the void of maybe like, what PRS used to be, or like what a Tom Anderson did."

Yeah, having owned two Carvins with Flaws, played others with similar ones, SEEN some issues with them on here, and seeing how an artist is trying to bash other brands and stating how yours is the best, Carvin has lost my respect once more.

putnut77

Reaction score
Has anyone played a Laguna guitar? In my experience with them, they were just...wrong. Everything felt wrong.

')