Growing tired of downtuned guitars!

• Thread starter P-Ride
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

P-Ride

Reaction score
If I have a room with numerous Telecaster bodies and necks, numerous pickups, a soldering iron and wide range of strings, I may one day find myself at peace.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jl-austin

Reaction score
That is why 7 strings are popular. You can have the chunk, chuga chuga with the b string in addition to a normal tuned guitar for leads.

Vrollin

Reaction score
LP with 10-52s n drop D are a match made in heaven, it just works so well. Grab an extended scale for your lower tunings and run a higher gauge on it. Don't be afraid to use a light gauge on a baritone...

Chokey Chicken

mouth breather
Reaction score
If string spacing is your worry, erg's really aren't much different from 6's. Considering you like drop c, you shouldn't need more than a 7, since even that is lower by standard. (B standard and Drop A)

It's what they're made for though. You get the beefy low tuning without sacrificing the high notes. Fanned frets might be unnecessary though. Its better to try out different gauge strings and stuff before jumping on that fairly expensive bandwagon, especially if it ends up doing nothing for you.

Edit, wider fingers might do better with longer scales. Try stuff that's 27" or more to see if the added room is good for you. Schecter is a good place to look to try out different scales. Even if you don't want erg, try out their 7's and 8's. (And ignore the extra strings.) They're common enough where most shops should have them, and they're usually 26.5" scales for the 7's and 28" for the 8's. Great way to get a feel for different scales if the selection around your area isn't the best.

P-Ride

Reaction score
LP with 10-52s n drop D are a match made in heaven, it just works so well. Grab an extended scale for your lower tunings and run a higher gauge on it. Don't be afraid to use a light gauge on a baritone...

Ernie Ball Beefy Slinkies? Yeah, Adam Jones from Tool plays that exact setup.

I tried a set on my Telecaster for a day, recently, and they felt slower, in a similar way to the Beefy Slinkies; 54-42-30 versus 52-42-30, so near-identical on the thickest strings.

In fact, Power Slinkies (48-38-28) are the only set above 9s in the Ernie Ball range that I haven't tried.

A 'hybrid' set of 11 into 10s that take the slightly thicker strings of the power slinkies with the thinner strings of the Regular Slinkies could be good, but the 'hybrid' set EB do is in fact 10 into 9s.

P-Ride

Reaction score
That is why 7 strings are popular. You can have the chunk, chuga chuga with the b string in addition to a normal tuned guitar for leads.

Yeah.. I should check one out.. That involves relearning how to play though.

P-Ride

Reaction score
If string spacing is your worry, erg's really aren't much different from 6's. Considering you like drop c, you shouldn't need more than a 7, since even that is lower by standard. (B standard and Drop A)

It's what they're made for though. You get the beefy low tuning without sacrificing the high notes. Fanned frets might be unnecessary though. Its better to try out different gauge strings and stuff before jumping on that fairly expensive bandwagon, especially if it ends up doing nothing for you.

Edit, wider fingers might do better with longer scales. Try stuff that's 27" or more to see if the added room is good for you. Schecter is a good place to look to try out different scales. Even if you don't want erg, try out their 7's and 8's. (And ignore the extra strings.) They're common enough where most shops should have them, and they're usually 26.5" scales for the 7's and 28" for the 8's. Great way to get a feel for different scales if the selection around your area isn't the best.

'ERG'? What does that mean, in this context?

Yeah, logically, I really should check out a 7-string guitar.. I'm just used to play drop tunings. I'm not sure which tuning I should check out?

I have a feeling longer scale-length is likely to be what I'm looking for, more than more strings. 26.5" could well be the one!

P-Ride

Reaction score
Separately, it's frustrating that almost all 26.5" guitars seem to be super-strats!

A custom Telecaster version seems likely..

Aymara

Reaction score
'I'm just used to play drop tunings.

I use my Schecter Hybrid C-1 for Drop D and my Mayones Regius 7-string mainly in Drop A. How about that? 6-string in Drop D and 7-string in Drop A and B Standard, in case you need to play in C ... ok, no Drop C this way, but is it really needed?

Go to the next shop and abuse some 7-strings ;)

P-Ride

Reaction score
Baritone scale telecaster conversion neck up at warmoth for $180.... Add SS frets and a good nut for $55....
http://www.warmoth.com/Showcase/ShowcaseNeck.aspx?Body=1&nScale=306&Path=Baritone&i=BTN1200

You know you want to.....

Yeah, I reckon this is what I'll do..

Thinking of picking up a Squier Telecaster custom, taking the body and selling the neck on.. then upgrading hardware if it works.

My feeling thus far, is that a Fender/Warmoth neck is much more important than a Fender/Warmoth body.. correct me if I'm wrong.

Is there much more involved than screwing in the baritone neck and setting truss/action/intonation?

P-Ride

Reaction score
The more I read, the more I start to conclude that multiscale guitar are the 'correct' solution.

I'm still interested in baritones and, given the cost of multiscale, reckon I'll try a baritone converstion first, to assess how much I enjoy Drop C on a 26.5-27".

If that goes well, then a custom multi-scale guitar seems the likely conclusion.

Vrollin

Reaction score
Am I the only person who doesn't see the point in a multi scale? The correct set of strings or a custom set will achieve the same results. If you run a multi scale and want even tension then you're going to need to do this anyway. Pick the scale that will have the most positive effect on your low end and run with that.

Asphyxia

Reaction score
Am I the only person who doesn't see the point in a multi scale? The correct set of strings or a custom set will achieve the same results. If you run a multi scale and want even tension then you're going to need to do this anyway. Pick the scale that will have the most positive effect on your low end and run with that.

My thinking exactly.
I'm sure someone can explain how this is wrong.

Vrollin

Reaction score
My thinking exactly.
I'm sure someone can explain how this is wrong.

To me it seems like a fad, they look cool and it's what manufacturers and luthiers needed to stand out from the crowd.

Aymara

Reaction score
Am I the only person who doesn't see the point in a multi scale?

As the post below your's shows, you're not alone. But what is right for you doesn't have to be always right for others ;)

Multiscale was develoed for players, who are mainly lead players, who are not only limited by higher string tension but also by the long scale length.

If you have long fingers, you might have no problem to play leads on a long scale after you got used to it, if not, well it slows you down and makes some techniques impossible.

It's a matter of playing style, size of your hands and most important, the tuning. A lead player, that doesn't tune below Drop A will be happy with a short scale.

So multiscale in my opinion is mainly interesting for downtuners, who play a lot of leads and want to avoid intonation problems.

KnightBrolaire

Pickup Connoisseur
Reaction score
I've played a 30" scale 7 string (it was my friend's Agile) and personally I loved the feel of the low end but the scale length made doing a lot of chords and any lead work significantly more difficult for me than on my Boden OS8.
I guess if you don't do really any lead work or big stretches then ERGs are the way to go but for me it wasn't what I needed. I have pretty big hands (I can stretch them from the 1st fret to the 6th fret on a 25.5" scale comfortably) so I can imagine others with smaller hands would have significantly more trouble with straight scale lengths over 27".

')