Growing tired of downtuned guitars!

• Thread starter P-Ride
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

laxu

Reaction score
Afaik Thomann has a pretty good return policy so you could get something proper and return it if you don't fancy a 7-string.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

P-Ride

Reaction score
Ordered!

I literally haven't touched a 7-string, so the Harley Benton for £128 is perfect for trying out the scale ranges. It's got great reviews and I'll give it a full setup, then sell it on and buy a more expensive model if I like 7 strings.

I expect the neck to be reasonable and the electronics to be poor, which will be just fine for now. I'll report back though.

I'll initially try ADADGBD then will give GCGCFAC a go.. I considered getting two to compare, but the cost of returns to Germany make this less appealing.

Tuning to C may require nut adjustments, which will be a pain of I decide to go back up to Drop D/A. But I'll learn from this.

Any tips on string gauge for the two tunings mentioned @ 25.5" would be appreciated!

P-Ride

Reaction score
I'm figuring Ernie Ball Regular Slinky 7s for what is effectively Drop D, simply as I use Regular Slinkies on my 25.5" Telecaster presently.

I'm tuning the thickest string down a full tone from 'standard tuning', although the same is true when anyone does Drop D tuning, so this might not be a big deal.

Looks like even Power Slinkies will run with a slightly lower tension in Drop C (with a low G) than the setup above, in the same scale length. So one string size doesn't compensate moving two semi-tones? I guess that makes sense.

I'll give it a go, but if I have to go Power Slinky or above to get Drop C/low G with sufficient tension @ 25.5", then perhaps I'll conclude that Drop D/low A might be a better combination to enjoy both low-end thump and fast lead playing.

Of course, how much I enjoy the thump of a low A or low G through a 6505+ and Orange cab is another story. My feeling is that if you go too low, it can get a little bassy; whereas C keeps a little bite.

Not that the stock pickups will be the best model for this test!

Aymara

Reaction score
I'm figuring Ernie Ball Regular Slinky 7s ...

That's what I use on my Mayones Regius with 25.4" scale.

You will notice, that .56 for the low B is limited to Drop A and even there the tension is already quite low ... nothing for hard players.

P-Ride

Reaction score
Right, so if I want to go down to Drop C (with a low G) I'll need to go up to their Power Slinky set?

That suggests that the improvements in tension going from 24.75" up to 25.5" are fairly meagre?

Aymara

Reaction score
Use above posted D'Addario string tension calculator and choose the XL 7-string set in .10-.59 for a first orientation. But keep in mind, that the Earnie Ball Slinkies have a slightly lower tension (not much though) and the XL set has a low B in .59, not a .56 as the EB set.

Then experiment with different tunings and see how the tension changes and check which gauge will be needed to achive a similar tension to B Standard with the standard XL set.

This will help you to find out, if Power Slinkies are the right choice for your downtuning goal.

P-Ride

Reaction score
Yeah, I may as well ditch the first set that arrive on it, as if I don't know what they are, I can't compare them to anything.

I reckon I'll go for the D'Addarios, for precisely the reason you mention.

10 13 17 16 36 46 59 - EB Regular Slinkies
10 13 17 26 36 46 56 - D'Addario

I'll keep those for a week or so and see how it goes, especially as going for heavier strings may require nut modification (I'll probably put a new one on) and I won't be able to return it at this point, so will need to be happy enough to keep it for a while.

I'll then give strings for Drop C a go..

That said, it sounds like I may not be much better off than with my Gibson Les Paul in C.. as all I'll be gaining is .75" and another string, even lower than G..

back up to Drop D (with a low A) might end up being the best balance.

But we'll see!

P-Ride

Reaction score
Reckon I'll likely return this one within the 30-day period and try a Schecter C-7 Deluxe next.. looks a lot nicer for £250 (versus £128) and is a 26.5" scale.

Aymara

Reaction score
10 13 17 16 36 46 59 - EB Regular Slinkies
10 13 17 26 36 46 56 - D'Addario

It's the other way round ... the D'Addarrio set comes with the .59 B string. But you could buy a 6-string XL set and an additional Low B in .56, if you like.

That said, it sounds like I may not be much better off than with my Gibson Les Paul in C.. as all I'll be gaining is .75" ...

Being a former pure Les Paul player it was a noticable difference for me, when I bought my first 25.5" guitar.

I think, start with the Slinkies in B Standard and Drop A and first get a feel for the additional string.

If you should find out, that 7-strings are what you like, I bet there are better options, than a Schecter C-7 ... I highly recommend to spare longer for a Hybrid, Loomis, KM or Banshee. My personal favourite is the Hybrid for ergonomics, satin neck and especially the superb and versatile sound.

P-Ride

Reaction score
It's the other way round ... the D'Addarrio set comes with the .59 B string. But you could buy a 6-string XL set and an additional Low B in .56, if you like.

Being a former pure Les Paul player it was a noticable difference for me, when I bought my first 25.5" guitar.

I think, start with the Slinkies in B Standard and Drop A and first get a feel for the additional string.

If you should find out, that 7-strings are what you like, I bet there are better options, than a Schecter C-7 ... I highly recommend to spare longer for a Hybrid, Loomis, KM or Banshee. My personal favourite is the Hybrid for ergonomics, satin neck and especially the superb and versatile sound.

Cool, great advice thanks.

I've got a baritone set on my Epiphone SG now, tuned GCGCFA (just missing the high C) so I can feel what a low G is like and man.. I'm really enjoying it! Even with the big, rattling 72 gauge G! Some seriously heavy drone chords.

Requiring it tomorrow with a Bare Knuckle Warpig.. If it plays and sounds good enough to replace my Gibson Les Paul as the drop C guitar for the rest of our recording, I can put the Les Paul back into Drop D with tens..

..and am really thinking about putting my 25.5" Telecaster into Drop C!

24.75 Epiphone SG: GCGCFA (baritone strings)
24.75 Gibson Les Paul: DADGBD (probably tens. Maybe 11s)
25.5" Telecaster HH: CGCFAC (11s)

More logical use of these three guitars, no?

Then the cheap 7-string arriving next week!

I'll play with it for a couple of weeks then likely send it back.. But if I like it, I'll be seriously looking at an Ibanez or Schecter 7 string.. 25.5" or 26.5".. And that seems likely; as I'm really enjoying this Low G on the Epiphone!

I'll then put the Epiphone back into Drop D or Drop C.

This is starting to make some sense, I think!

Aymara

Reaction score
More logical use of these three guitars, no?

I can't help you here, because I only use E Standard and Drop D on sixers and B Standard and Drop A on my 7.

Going lower than Drop A is not my taste ... it gives me enough growl and I hate thick strings.

But I can maybe show you, why I love that Hybrid so much. Let's start with the clean tones (check the video at 2:00):

And now the 7-string badass stuff:

Though we don't understand a word here, you can nicely see the beauty of this guitar, the satin neck and the good body ergonomics, that this Asian guy shows in detail.

PS: And as a Les Paul player you might like the smooth set neck transition compared to a set neck. The compound radius though is something to get used to, but you'll love it pretty fast.

PPS: But there's one this about this guitar, that no video can show ... it's huge body resonance. If you e.g. play it sitting with you legs crossed, you can feel it's growl in your heart ... they should have called this guitar Panther instead of Hybrid ;) Fact is, the so heavily hyped KM-7 doesn't have this resonance and sounds totally thin and sterile, when played unplugged.

P-Ride

Reaction score
I can't help you here, because I only use E Standard and Drop D on sixers and B Standard and Drop A on my 7.

Going lower than Drop A is not my taste ... it gives me enough growl and I hate thick strings.

But I can maybe show you, why I love that Hybrid so much. Let's start with the clean tones (check the video at 2:00):

And now the 7-string badass stuff:

Though we don't understand a word here, you can nicely see the beauty of this guitar, the satin neck and the good body ergonomics, that this Asian guy shows in detail.

PS: And as a Les Paul player you might like the smooth set neck transition compared to a set neck. The compound radius though is something to get used to, but you'll love it pretty fast.

PPS: But there's one this about this guitar, that no video can show ... it's huge body resonance. If you e.g. play it sitting with you legs crossed, you can feel it's growl in your heart ... they should have called this guitar Panther instead of Hybrid ;) Fact is, the so heavily hyped KM-7 doesn't have this resonance and sounds totally thin and sterile, when played unplugged.

Hey, that looks nice.

Actually, I do very much like bolt-on necks for snappiness too. Compound radius is a very appealing idea though.

How do you rate Ibanez against Schecter?

I just sent back the Harley Benton (I simply refused delivery), as having thought about it, I realised that there's no point spending £128 on something which - with a no-name brand - both has very little resale value and I won't want to spend cash upgrading it.

If I dislike 7-strings, I'd send it back.

If I like 7-strings, I'd have sent it back, to buy a better one.

And I'd have had to have the huge box in my compact flat until I sent it back, while doing my best to avoid any scratches or marks that could affect the return too. Sod that.

I'm not in a position to spent £600-£800 right now.. Really, I shouldn't be buying any guitars at all, given I'm moving to Australia in January!

So, either I spend £200-£250 on a branded 7-string which will have resale value and/or be worth upgrading, if it punches above it's weight.

Or, I buy nothing, until I can afford a £600-£800 model, like the Hybrid you have suggested.

Two options I could get today are

Schecter C7 Deluxe @ £259

Ibanez GRG7221-7

Both of which have reasonable reviews for playability, with fairly naff electronics.

Or, I buy nothing and wait until I can afford a £600-£800 7-string.

Aymara

Reaction score
I'm not an Ibanez fan, but I know, that the entry level models pretty much suck, as Schecters and most other entry level models too.

In the low budget range I always find Jackson being recommended. Just search the forum for threads about the first 7-string.

Maybe get one of these recommended entry level Jacksons and spare for a Hybrid or something else in this quality league.

Don't you have any chance to test a 7-string in a local shop first to find out, if it's worth to spend more?

P-Ride

Reaction score
Tonight I've been playing with my Epiphone SG with baritone strings (72 gauge on the lowest) tuned to GCGCFA and it's got some good chords, but is a bit sludgy; I reckon due to being only 24.75".

I just found an LTD 7-string the guy will let go for only £75! It's a £200 model and he says was professionally setup, so should suffice for me to play around on to establish whether I enjoy 7-strings and is 25.5" scale, so I can compare that against the 24.75" on the guitars I've been downturning until now.

I swung by my guitar shop and saw a gorgeous Ibanez 7-string at 26.5" for £375, ex-demo.

I'm very happy to spend that in a few months, but reckon having a 25.5" 7-string to play around with that I can sell for the same price I bought it, first, can only inform my decision.

Aymara

Reaction score
Ok, that cheap LTD might be worth trying ... but the keyword is trying ... try before you buy. Or isn't that possible?

P-Ride

Reaction score
Ok, that cheap LTD might be worth trying ... but the keyword is trying ... try before you buy. Or isn't that possible?

Hey, I just ordered a second-hand Ibanez RG7420 Black Metallic with Scalloped frets.

Better?

Aymara

Reaction score

I don't know, because I'm not an Ibanez player, but I know, that scallopped frets are not for everybody ... I personally don't like them. Maybe others can report about this specific model.

You should have asked before ordering.

P-Ride

Reaction score
I don't know, because I'm not an Ibanez player, but I know, that scallopped frets are not for everybody ... I personally don't like them. Maybe others can report about this specific model.

You should have asked before ordering.

It's cool, my objective with this purchase is simply to learn about features I haven't used yet. I picked a gloss-black model deliberately, as I don't like that finish so will be naturally inclined to sell it on!

Apparently the 7420/7421 are a step up, as they're made in Japan.

I've got 7-strings, a flat fretboard radius, a Floyd Rose and scalloped frets (only above the 15th-ish) to try out!

I've only played my Gibson Les Paul and Telecaster so far, so only know hardtail bridges and 9.5-12" fretboard radius, so far.

If I like 7-strings, I'll be inclined to pickup an RG8 too (so I can experience 8 strings and 27"), then I'll probably sell that on too.

Then I can think about which scale length, radius and number of strings I prefer and buy a high-end guitar (maybe custom) with this combination.

Aymara

Reaction score
... they're made in Japan.

That's pretty good news. Downside is the Floyd in my opinion, because it's seldom needed on a 7-string and unneccessarily complicates a good setup, except you're mainly a lead player, where a Floyd can (can is the keyword here) make sense.

')