Guitar build kits, first build!

• Thread starter MitchellJBurgess
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MitchellJBurgess

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I found a site called byoguitar.com
and I'm very very interested in buying a kit.
I want to buy the JEM kit, so I was wondering, if anybody would know how good the guitar will actually be?
I understand that it won't be anywhere near as good as the real version, but my main concern is if it will have very close action and if the stuff on it will be decent, (tuning, floyde etc.)

Also, what will I need for colouring it?
I really love that wavey sort of natural swirly look on a few Ibanez' and other brands.
Anybody be able to be help me with colouring and possibly with that type of colouring?

Thankyou!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
You have to be pretty realistic with your expectations when you get a $200 guitar kit, so it's definitely not gonna be amazing. But if you are looking for a simple project guitar I don't see why not. I think some of the biggest issues you will run into are with the bridge and the tuners, not sure how stable the neck will be. You gotta remember that a real Floyd and even the better licensed Floyds (Schallers, etc.) cost almost as much as that whole kit if not more.
As far as colouring, depends what you want to do. You could dye it or do a solid colour, look on lmii.com for dyes and finishing stuff.

MitchellJBurgess

Reaction score
My main concern is the action, it has scalloped frets already on it like Steve's but what if the action is so crap I can't even speedily push the string down?

With colouring, I want something, not one colour, but really sort of... Hard to explain I will find a picture
THIS!!! @&$^
Redirect Notice

rlott1

Reaction score
look through the forums on mylespaul.com. several users there have assembled byo guitars lp kits. they can give you an idea of the quality to expect.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The quality of the guitar will depend very much on how well you assemble and set it up.

Berserker

Reaction score
The picture you posted of your desired finish has a flamed maple top, you won't be able to get a finish like that unless you apply a veneer. Being realistic, the bridge, tuners and pickups are going to be poor on this kit and you'd probably want to upgrade them before long. If the neck is straight you should be able to acheive low action but it may take a lot of time and patience to get it perfect.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Holy crap that's inexpensive. I've got a couple Warmoth builds I did that cost me waaaay more than that. I'd definitely look into it a little more before pulling the trigger. TBH I have no idea how the heck they can profit on that at that price, which has me suspicious of the quality.

')