Guitar Builders

Hollowman

Reaction score
First off this is just a question. that said. I just want to know how come every builder I've come across on here uses Ibanez guitars for their templates and no other brands (like ESP for example)?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bigswifty

Reaction score
I found the RG shape to be the most appealing and comfortable body for my build.
Also, its a timeless shape so you can't really "grow" out of it. :metal:

canuck brian

Bowes Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
First off this is just a question. that said. I just want to know how come every builder I've come across on here uses Ibanez guitars for their templates and no other brands (like ESP for example)?

ss_header_l.png

You're on a site that has about 95% of users that owns or has owned an Ibanez. Most of the hardcore gearwhores at some point ended up with a pile of Ibanez's and most of those people ended up tearing those guitars apart for upgrades. I guarantee there are WAY more Ibanez frankenstein guitars out there than than Jackson.

I just like the RG shape the most and lot of the builders I know just moved on from upgrading and modding the hell out of their Ibanez guitars. It's just comfortable to them/myself.

And the RG fucking rules. :bowdown: :shred:

Internection

Reaction score
i've always dreaded ibanez. necks were too small. but after finding an RG7321 for $150 i had to buy it. im slowly growing into them

DevinShidaker

"AN IDIOT"
Reaction score
My RG is my favorite guitar I've ever owned, and I've owned close to (if not more than by now) 50 guitars, including a Parker (loved that too though). The RG is just super comfortable to me, and I love how they look. People can basswood hate all they want, but damn I love RG's.

DIOBOLIC5150

Reaction score
I like that body shape because its comfortable. It sucks to sit in a chair recording music for hours on end with an awkward body shape (like a V or something).

EliNoPants

Reaction score
I like that body shape because its comfortable. It sucks to sit in a chair recording music for hours on end with an awkward body shape (like a V or something).

i tried that tonight (though i didn't get around to recording, and it was only for like 90 minutes)...this man speaks pure truth...in fact, at some point in the future when i've got more money and more guitars, i could very well see myself having V's for playing live, and strats for recording/writing at home

aside from a few odd looking guitars designed purely for ergonomics, i'd say the strat shape is probably the most comfortable body for the most people, plus it's a safe bet as a manufacturer, since even those of us who are into something more modern or aggressive will settle for a strat shape if it's got the right specs

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I actually find flying V type guitars supremely comfortable sitting down, even more so than super strats. If you position it right, the neck props right up in the most comfortable playing position imaginable (for many of us, anyways). It's standing up the Vs can be a bit tricky, but certainly doable.

That said, I love superstrats and RG shapes too!

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It should also be mentioned that the flat top super strat shape is just about the easiest and cheapest to produce, and to get right at that.

A lot of Jackson and ESP shapes have all kinds of contours and arched tops, which some builders aren't as easily equipped to do.

Hollowman

Reaction score
It should also be mentioned that the flat top super strat shape is just about the easiest and cheapest to produce, and to get right at that.

A lot of Jackson and ESP shapes have all kinds of contours and arched tops, which some builders aren't as easily equipped to do.

yeah, see I like M series ESP's I've owned 24 guitars and 3 of those were Ibanez's a RG7420MC and a RG450DX bothwere comfortable.

It's funny to read some of the replies because of the question being asked I wasn't downing Ibanez's at all.

canuck brian

Bowes Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
I actually find flying V type guitars supremely comfortable sitting down, even more so than super strats. If you position it right, the neck props right up in the most comfortable playing position imaginable (for many of us, anyways). It's standing up the Vs can be a bit tricky, but certainly doable.

That said, I love superstrats and RG shapes too!

Yeah I'm with Nick on this one...I find playing V's in a classical sitting position to be super comfy. I'm slowly getting the parts together for my 7 string V. :metal:

I've actually got Kramer superstrat and Jackson templates, but I've never used them. I just prefer the RG shape to both of them. Doesnt' really matter if I'm doing a carved top or a flat top....actually I've done more RG carves than flat tops. :lol:

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score

I don't do Ibanez copies, or any other copies for that matter. I've never really liked RGs much, either... i'm more of a Radius/JS kinda guy.

courtney2018

Contributor
Reaction score

The stuff I do is adapted from an RG. I just love the shape. It's got small radiused edges and the horns aren't rounded off. One is kinda sharp and the other is rounded nicely. I think it's an awesome shape.

That said, if you're looking for a custom guitar you should be able to get any shape you want. I don't know about other custom builders, but if someone came to me wanting a Jackson, or an ESP body I wouldn't have any problems in doing that shape.

But as others have said, the RG shape is a kick butt shape and it'll be around until the end of days I'm sure.

Masadar

Reaction score
Ive got a touch of the OCD and dont even feel right playing a guitar unless its a V it just feels wrong but in all honesty the closest thing ive played that made me almost feel alright was a buddys (Crucified's) Rg not quite sure what model it was but it was damn bitchin:yesway:

')