Guitar Center sent wrong item... but it was better?!?

• Thread starter sepsis311
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sepsis311

Devil's Advocate
Reaction score
Did you guys ever buy something from guitar center's used site, and get something in the mail better than what you ordered? I saw a cool late 90's ESP Eclipse on the website, I called the store and asked for better pictures. One of the guys emailed me over pictures along with pictures of the case.

Well I received the guitar, except it was in a better high quality ESP case, not the generic branded case. The stock ESP LH-200 chrome covered pickups were changed before shipping to Gibson 490r/500t uncovered pickups. I guess the stock ESP LH-200 pickups weren't working so they must've taken the Gibsons from their parts drawer.

Score!

Anyone else ever get free upgrades from GC?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

feraledge

Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?
Reaction score
I got a Jackson MIJ SL2H from the Sam Ash run once for much cheaper than I should be. GC employees apparently are absolutely unaware of how Jackson might name and grade their models. I think they had it marked as a DKMG! I've seen guitars are upgraded and down graded by what a quick google search made look like it was the same thing.
But that's kind of common too. There's a pawn shop in town with a MIJ DK2M right now marked as a JS and priced fairly accordingly.

Señor Voorhees

Reaction score
I've gotten b-stock that wasn't really b-stock for pretty insane discounts. ($300 off with no visible flaws and full factory warranty? Yes please.)

Not Guitar Center, but Kiesel, shipped me a guitar with luminlays when I didn't ask for them. That was a plus in my book since I did really want them but didn't want to pay the up-charge. (on that same build, I also got SS frets for free since on the site they were mislabeled and Chris is great.)

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I bought a cheap $100 Tara mandolin there that was actually a ~$300 Kentucky. Even though the headstock said the brand, none of the employees there seemed to know what was going on.

dmlinger

PepperFox Guitars
Reaction score
A friend scored a USA SL1 for the price of a MIJ soloist....GC had the wrong tag on the guitar and it slipped through.

HotKarl

Reaction score
My favorite was ordering a used Fender spalted FMT Tele, no mention of a case, for much less than half of what they sell for new. It arrived in a nice case. I was pretty stoked. I even brought a case from home with me that day to transport it home safely (I have it delivered to the office, much more reliable when I am not home). Nice surprise

Science_Penguin

Reaction score
Best find I ever had at Guitar Center was my Ibanez RG Premium, which I bought for two-hundred bucks.

The previous owner did his own shoddy installation of an EMG set, and- so the story goes- set the action SUPER high and tuned down to Drop Q. Apparently getting the thing back in working condition was such a pain for GC, they just wanted to get rid of it as soon as possible... or maybe the price point is to be expected of a glorified Inonesian import with poorly-executed mods. Either way, it gets the job done. I keep it around as a backup or if I ever need something with a trem.

')