Guitar delivery in the midst of heat wave

• Thread starter OmegaSlayer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

OmegaSlayer

Reaction score
Hi guys, I've been notified of the delivery of a guitar in the next 3 days.
Guitar was on order and supposed to arrive in December, but lo and behold, it will be here in few days.
Now, the problem is that here in Italy we're bordering 38-40°C and I'm a bit disappointed to receive it in this period of the year, as the instrument will surely suffer.
What can I do to prevent the biggest amount of thermal shocks and problems to the guitar?
I suppose that the "let it rest" some days won't be enough.
Thanks for the suggestions

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

OmegaSlayer

Reaction score
Cold is more of a problem than heat. Give it some time to acclimate, but everything should be good to go.
Here my guitars move a lot, except for the Les Paul, cause that mofo luckily doesn't move an inch
Dampness is through the roof too

Manurack

Nunavut Inuk
Reaction score
I'm sure it'll be fine dude. I grew up in the Canadian Arctic and had brand new guitars shipped from the States and southern Canada from warm, damp climates to the dry, cold winters of the Arctic and they were fine after a day or two. Open the case, or put it on a wall hanger to adjust to the new place for a couple of days and after some tweaking to the truss rod and bridge? It'll be fine.

OmegaSlayer

Reaction score
The guitar arrived

As I suspected, the setup is horrible
I let it sit for 4 days, but it didn't help, the action at the first string, 12th fret is more than 2 mm

The guitar was allegedly inspected...but surely wasn't set up
Now, I don't want to return a guitar that was available only upon order and that is basically flawless (except on really minor paint blemish on the top and one paint finish blemish on the back, but I can totally live with that)

I contacted Legator this morning for a guide to set it up properly, as it is my first experience with a guitar with 2 truss rods, but I'll gladly accept any help from you guys, thanks

Robslalaina

Reaction score
Dampness is through the roof too
How high? Might feel uncomfortable as a human without being problematic for a guitar.

Where I live high temperatures aren't typically an issue, humidity is (think North Sea), but I stopped worrying so much after I bought a dehumidifier that I needed for another reason. Haven't had to use it in months though given the warm dry weather we've had since like May.

Have you started setting up the guitar to your likings yet? I reckon it's had enough time to acclimatize now.

EDIT: btw, not sure what Legator's setup specs are but IIRC 2.2-2.4 mm at fret 12 isn't far off what Ibanez recommend on 8+ stringers.

OmegaSlayer

Reaction score
How high? Might feel uncomfortable as a human without being problematic for a guitar.

Where I live high temperatures aren't typically an issue, humidity is (think North Sea), but I stopped worrying so much after I bought a dehumidifier that I needed for another reason. Haven't had to use it in months though given the warm dry weather we've had since like May.

Have you started setting up the guitar to your likings yet? I reckon it's had enough time to acclimatize now.

EDIT: btw, not sure what Legator's setup specs are but IIRC 2.2-2.4 mm at fret 12 isn't far off what Ibanez recommend on 8+ stringers.
We're between 60 and 95 % dampness these days
I haven't started setting it up yet, because honestly it's so hot that I have hard times doing things, I work from 4 AM to 2 PM, so when I get back home it's maximum heat

2.2-2.4 mm it's ok for the low strings, not for the high E, the major problem is with the unwounded strings

Robslalaina

Reaction score
A steady 60% is acceptable although some people e.g. with asthma may struggle already but anything above that is too high. Also 95%? Fack... If I were you I'd really shell out a couple hundred euros for a good dehumidifier. Obviously this will generate some heat too but at least the air would be better to breathe. Could be beneficial for your guitars too if you managed to have fewer/smaller humidity variations.

Didn't realize it was more than 2 mm for the high E! How much relief you got right now?

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Yep if your house is 95% humidity a dehumudifier is the way to go. My basement sits at 70-75 when mine isnt running this summer.

')