Guitar for tuning to A1 Standard

cvinos

Banned
Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking for a guitar again. I need one now for tuning as low as A1. (That A1 is just one octave lower than the A on the 5th string in Standard tuning.) The music I want to create with is is mostly in the metal domain.

I need some proper suggestions, that is why I am writing in this forum. Here are some criteria:

Price: between 400 and 1400 Euro. Suggestions with higher prices are welcome though.

Number of strings: open, whatever does the job.

Tunings:

6-string: A1 D G c e a
7-string: A1 D G c f a d1
possibly 8-string: F#1 B1 E A d g b e1

Fixed bridge.

Pickups: Left open. Active or passive. I like the sound of Stephen Carpenter on the records of 1997 and 2000. So I do like the sound of passive pickups. But I know that sometimes, with the lower tunings, active pickups come in handy. I also like the sounds of Meshuggah and Car Bomb.

All the other criteria one might think of I leave open on purpose.That is to prevent that a cool guitar is not suggested because it does not have neck through or something like that.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ZeroSignal

Meal Team Six
Contributor
Reaction score
As far as tension goes, any guitar will work fine provided you use the correct strings. I have a 24.75" scale AX7221 in A standard with D'Addario .010 - .059 strings. :yesway:

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I, of course, would say Agile. But since they're not easily accessible across the pond, maybe a Schecter Hellraiser or Loomis model would be good for you.

I use .10-.56 for A standard on my Ibanez.

cvinos

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks. But I could use more suggestions to compare more guitars. I think I have to come out of my hut so this thread is not gonna die just so. So the first thing I did was to update my profile. ;) Now what else...

I have to say that I enlisted in the Blackmachine waiting list already. But the thing is, I need another guitar for A1 soon. So I am looking for an additional one.

I have looked at a few guitars already. I tried the Stephen Carpenter baritone 7-string models, but they have the disadvantage of a middle pickup, which you hit with the pick so often, some have stupid inlays or they are too expensive (like the mighty Stef B7 and B8).

I also happen to know the Ibanez MMM, but I think it does not suit me with the pickups it has.

I once tried the RG7321. Not to bad, but I do not like the bridge on it.

Well but I definitely need a fixed bridge. And what is very important is the intonation.

')