Guitar getting drowned out when the drums get loud

• Thread starter BaylorPRSer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BaylorPRSer

Reaction score
Hi there.

I play in a 3-piece with guitar, bass, and drums. For some bits, we mix quite well. However, when the drums get loud, he's hitting louder cymbals, snare volume is going up, etc. my guitar gets drowned out.

For example, we cover Under the Bridge by RHCP, as soon as the drums take off after the second chorus, I get buried.

The issue is actually more pronounced with distortion guitar parts.

For example, we cover Shimmer by Fuel. I switch from clean to dirty right when the drums crank up, and sometimes I'm inaudible (this was verified by people in the audience, so it wasn't a monitoring issue).

I'm currently playing through a POD HD500X running direct.

Is the solution simply to take note of the parts where the drums get loud and make sure I have more volume?

I don't want to get in a loudness war with my drummer, so figured it was better to ask here before retooling the POD in this way.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Screamingdaisy

Reaction score
Is the solution simply to take note of the parts where the drums get loud and make sure I have more volume?
This would ideally be managed by the soundman.

That said, assuming you don't have a soundman, you could have a "verse" sound and a "chorus" sound, with the "chorus" sound being a slightly louder version of the verse sound.

Rather than just pumping more volume, you could experiment with pumping more midrange, or a mix of the two.

Latest posts

')