Guitar Logistics Build Thread - 2014

• Thread starter RestorationAD
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cdf294

short-term memory
Reaction score
That pickguard looks sweet.

Also, found the perfect amp for your articulate pickups.
Guess I need to sharpen my skills a bit more now that I can hear my mistakes.
Either that or go back to using garbage pickups.

Catch you later.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RestorationAD

Reaction score
That pickguard looks sweet.

Also, found the perfect amp for your articulate pickups.
Guess I need to sharpen my skills a bit more now that I can hear my mistakes.
Either that or go back to using garbage pickups.

Catch you later.

Glad you like them!

What amp are you using now?

I have been on a serious lunchbox low watt amp exploration the past three months. I have now been through an Egnater Tweaker 15, Tiny Terror w/ British Glory Mod, and a Boogie Mini Rec only to realize that my vintage Boogie .50 cal+ and studio .22+ make them all sound like toys. How hard is it to build a baby Mark IV?

I have an AMT SS-20 on the way so I will see how that works.

Anyone try the Engl Ironball yet?

cdf294

short-term memory
Reaction score

Yeah man, the pickups are great and I am thoroughly enjoying them. Thanks!
Picked this puppy up for a sweet deal earlier this week.
And I didn't spend the money stash so we are still good to go when the time comes. :)

I haven't tried the Ironball yet. Still stuck in the land of 50 and 60 watters.
Really like my Engl Retro50 but have no idea how it compares to the Ironball.

RestorationAD

Reaction score
Yeah man, the pickups are great and I am thoroughly enjoying them. Thanks!
Picked this puppy up for a sweet deal earlier this week.
And I didn't spend the money stash so we are still good to go when the time comes. :)

I haven't tried the Ironball yet. Still stuck in the land of 50 and 60 watters.
Really like my Engl Retro50 but have no idea how it compares to the Ironball.

I like the looks of that VHT. Back when I when I bought my Mark IV it came down to it and a VHT Pitbull UL. I picked the Boogie but the VHT was amazing.

Hmmm... might be time to hunt down a vintage VHT for the collection.

RestorationAD

Reaction score
So I have been busy with non guitar stuff. But had time the other day to work on the Zero.

cdf294

short-term memory
Reaction score
I am really enjoying the VHT.
Clean to mean using only the volume on the guitar. The Diablos already excel in this respect.
I am not huge on pedals so I don't have an issue with the lack of a loop on the VHT.
If I absolutely must have a loop or effects, I play the Engl or the 11R.

You definitely hear everything with the VHT and Diablos.
Sloppy playing is not rewarded with this amp.

UnderTheSign

Reaction score
Glad you like them!

I have been on a serious lunchbox low watt amp exploration the past three months. I have now been through an Egnater Tweaker 15, Tiny Terror w/ British Glory Mod, and a Boogie Mini Rec only to realize that my vintage Boogie .50 cal+ and studio .22+ make them all sound like toys. How hard is it to build a baby Mark IV?

I have an AMT SS-20 on the way so I will see how that works.

Have you checked with Hovercraft Amps? I have a Dwarvenaut 20 modelled after a Sunn Model T/Orange OR, base price $650 I believe and added effects loop came down to $725... Like a lot ballsier version of the smaller Orange amps. Sounds way different than a Mark IV but he's always open to suggestions so might be able to help you out.

RestorationAD

Reaction score
Have you checked with Hovercraft Amps? I have a Dwarvenaut 20 modelled after a Sunn Model T/Orange OR, base price $650 I believe and added effects loop came down to $725... Like a lot ballsier version of the smaller Orange amps. Sounds way different than a Mark IV but he's always open to suggestions so might be able to help you out.

Looks like it might be harder to get a Dwarvenaut amp than one of my S9s. I will email him and see how hard it really is to get one.

I think my problem is I am a Mark guy. I like all the Mark series and really don't feel at home on other amps. I like the precision and tightness of the Mark series. Not a fan of floppy, fuzzy, or messy sounds. When you play a million miles an hour the amp has to be accurate and reproduce what is being played.

UnderTheSign

Reaction score
Looks like it might be harder to get a Dwarvenaut amp than one of my S9s. I will email him and see how hard it really is to get one.

I think my problem is I am a Mark guy. I like all the Mark series and really don't feel at home on other amps. I like the precision and tightness of the Mark series. Not a fan of floppy, fuzzy, or messy sounds. When you play a million miles an hour the amp has to be accurate and reproduce what is being played.
With Nial it really depends on what his plan for the next few months is. I emailed him asking about availability and he said "I'll be doing another run in a month or so" and got a spot on that but sometimes he builds a bunch, posts them and they're gone in a day. Not sure if he can/wants to do a tight amp like a Mark but I've always found him friendly and helpful so it's worth a shot!

... Makes me wonder how hard to get a S9 is though :lol:

RestorationAD

Reaction score
Weather got you down? It has been dreadful here. Cold, snow, rain, ice.

Hipshot order arrived. Complete with new single string bridges.

Test fitting some tops

And flipped

RestorationAD

Reaction score
Sperzels in. Staggered tuners in a tapered headstock makes me happy.

I am not sure how I feel about them anymore. I have gotten used to the heavy brass bodied Hipshot lockers and for some reason the Sperzel feels less solid to me. I also hate the pin. Unless I need space on the headstock. Then I love the pin.

RestorationAD

Reaction score
Black ABM bridge. I really like these bridges. I wish I could get them in 7 string without a special order. Locking steel saddles on a steel plate. Solid as a rock. And I can recess it into the body until only the saddles stick up. Ergonomic bliss.

RestorationAD

Reaction score
This is going to happen. I am setting the depth on the router by putting the template on the face and moving the bit to the depth of the plate. Then we bolt the bridge plate in place and set the template.

RestorationAD

Reaction score
Remove the plate and route. I use the dremel with a .25" bit to make the corners tight.

A cutoff of MDF with 100 grit paper stuck to it to clean up anything mucky.

')