Guitar Monkey tuners

• Thread starter Asdrael
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Asdrael

Green and Blue stuff.
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with the (locking) Guitar Monkey tuners? They are rather attractive, being customizable, 1:18 and cheaper than their competition. And you can order precisely the set you need. They look a lot like Gotohs, are suposingly getting the components from the same factory and doing assembly and QC in Germany. And there is am angry Gorilla as a logo.

I am thinking about getting some for my first build but I can't find any feedback online.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gclef

Reaction score
You know, I kinda like the idea of these.

The colored spacers for customization is cool.

They just need more button shapes, like the tulip shape.

Black chrome as a color

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
I just got a set of Gotoh locking, they were like 10$ more but I know they work well.

The colored spacers are cool. Not my style, but a neat idea.

Asdrael

Green and Blue stuff.
Reaction score
I just got a set of Gotoh locking, they were like 10$ more but I know they work well.

The colored spacers are cool. Not my style, but a neat idea.
For some reason, getting "specific" configurations of tuners is really difficult in Europe. 95% of the time you find sets of 6 only, and when it's sets of 7, it's never the right configuration. I want all one side black locking and reverse, and didn't have much of a choice... And buying single Hipshots here is stupidly expensive.

You know, I kinda like the idea of these.

The colored spacers for customization is cool.

They just need more button shapes, like the tulip shape.

Black chrome as a color
I agree. I will actually let them know when I order, seems like it's a really small company and they aren't far away from me so maybe they are open enough for feedback.

I'll be visiting a wood workshop later today and if it looks decent enough for building a guitar, I'll start ordering parts and let you know how they feel.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
For some reason, getting "specific" configurations of tuners is really difficult in Europe. 95% of the time you find sets of 6 only, and when it's sets of 7, it's never the right configuration.

Ah yes, I forgot about that little game. I had to deal with the same problem during the pandemic. Let us know how they suit you, they look good.

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I like the fact that if you order more than a set of 6, then tuners 7-10 automatically come with the string holes that are larger (0.90in/2.3mm).

Asdrael

Green and Blue stuff.
Reaction score
So, tuners received. They look solid: the gorilla is engraved, they are rather light and seem to be made as drop in replacements for Gotoh style 135* (ie, Ibanez) tuners. They turn without problem and when unscrewing the thumb screw, you can see the gearing. I won't be able to comment on how they actually function for a bit since the guitar they are going on isn't built yet but so far, I am not considering sending back. It came down to just under 100€. As advertized, the 7th tuner is extra drilled very cleanly to accept a 90 gauge. They look a lot like Gotoh but the casing is slightly different, I cannot tell exactly what they are. They are assembled and thorouhgly test in Germany though, I have a small signed card to confirm that.

As a bonus, the owner replied to my random ass question at 10pm on a Sunday local time so I am pretty sure he is involved in his operation.

Few pics below.
1679498346344.png

1679498390812.png

1679498433953.png

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
Looks good.

The larger 7th string hole is definitely a big plus.

kerryymm

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I was looking for some locking tuners and found this thread, so I thought I’d order some to test. One snag for me: they don’t deliver to the UK (thanks Brexit)… I have a friend in Germany though so I got them delivered to him, and he posted them on to me.

So far I’m impressed: delivery was super quick, they look great, and they feel really smooth to turn. The thumbwheels on the back feel solid, and I don’t really know what else I can add! I’ll report back when I fit the other set - they’re going to feel like a massive upgrade though, as they’re going on a Cort that currently has quite possibly the worst tuners I’ve ever used :)

Lemonbaby

Reaction score
The tuners arrived at my door today. Quality is really good and packaging more eco friendly than e.g. Gotoh with their bulky plastic box. One tuner including all mounting hardware weighs in at 31g which is ~12% lighter than a Hipshot Open Gear locking tuner. I love the matte black buttons as well, looks seriously cool on a white headstock. The post is also nice and short, see comparison shot besides the ESP LTD stock tuner.Tuning action is smooth and precise, IMHO on the same same level as Hipshot or Schaller.

Asdrael

Green and Blue stuff.
Reaction score
Looking promising! Those are the extra light pegs right?

eddiewarlock

Reaction score
For some reason, getting "specific" configurations of tuners is really difficult in Europe. 95% of the time you find sets of 6 only, and when it's sets of 7, it's never the right configuration. I want all one side black locking and reverse, and didn't have much of a choice... And buying single Hipshots here is stupidly expensive.

I agree. I will actually let them know when I order, seems like it's a really small company and they aren't far away from me so maybe they are open enough for feedback.

I'll be visiting a wood workshop later today and if it looks decent enough for building a guitar, I'll start ordering parts and let you know how they feel.
I feel you. I live in Spain. I bought some AliExpress locking tuners for a 2+4 headstock on a warlock i'm building. Hope they are ok. The monkey tuners seem to be a good alternative

Merrekof

Reaction score
Oh man.. I've got an RG7421 that could use some new tuners and a nut!
There aren't many options for 7-string sets in Europe. I meant to get Graphtech Ratio tuners because they're the easiest to get. They're 100€ more expensive than these monkey tuners and after reading through this thread, I think I'm getting monkeys as well!

Asdrael

Green and Blue stuff.
Reaction score
Oh man.. I've got an RG7421 that could use some new tuners and a nut!
There aren't many options for 7-string sets in Europe. I meant to get Graphtech Ratio tuners because they're the easiest to get. They're 100€ more expensive than these monkey tuners and after reading through this thread, I think I'm getting monkeys as well!
I can definitely recommend them. They perform as well as Gothos and I am happy with them on my 7 string. I think nowadays they also have Cosmo black, and if you fancy it you can mix match color parts too.

')