Guitar Plugin with the best high gain amp sims?

• Thread starter Slippery When Wet
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Aymara

Reaction score
Yes, and there are reports of this problem from as far back as 2009, in relation to preset saving.

Well, then I guess, it should already be fixed in the current version, because I didn't encounter this issue.

A dealbreaker it is not, but I've noticed you have a tendency in threads like this to tout whatever you use personally as the best thing since sliced bread.

Sorry, if I'm sometimes a bit too enthusiastic ;)

But in case of Reaper, I'm totally convinced, that it's the best choice for beginners. You can download and use it for free for 60 days and there's enough learning material online to be able to do the first successful recordings in a few hours. In case you don't like it, you only have wasted a bit of time, but you learned a lot, which will help starting again with another DAW.

If someone starts with Cubase, he has to pay much more than for Reaper and in case he/she doesn't like it, the money is wasted. Furthermore the learning curve is much steeper, especially for absolute beginners.

But back to topic: I myself use BIAS FX, because I didn't like Guitar Rig, which is included in Komplete ... some nice effects, but the amps didn't convince me. BIAS is a nice overall package, but it's still buggy on iOS and OSX. So I'm interested in alternatives.

The Kazrog stuff looks interesting, but the pricing is ... whoa :eek: ... if you want all. And I miss effects ... or have I overseen something?

My personal impression so far is, that the perfect sim doesn't exist and each has it's pros and cons, so the Kazrog and Amplitube modularity is a nice approach.

So when talking about amp sims we maybe also should talk about recommendable effects besides the most well known tube screamer ;)

Any tips?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Axe Cop

Reaction score
I think the LePou stuff does just about any tone you want, exceptionally well.

Kazrog

Kazrog LLC
Reaction score
Running a special right now on all Thermionik purchases. 25% off with coupon code 68E7F623.

I will be releasing some FX models later this year. The focus of Thermionik is purely on accurate amp modeling, just as Recabinet focuses on accurate cabinet simulation. Effects models down the road will similarly be their own individual plugins. The philosophy is to keep everything modular.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
^Please make a noise gate plug-in for guitars thats similar to the Axe-Fx one. There are a lot on the market but most are really bad for hi-gain, or even guitars in general.

tedtan

Reaction score
Running a special right now on all Thermionik purchases. 25% off with coupon code 68E7F623.

You mentioned that you were considering creating a "create your own amp pack" option over on the Reaper forum. Is this still forthcoming? If so, do you have an ETA on that option?

tedtan

Reaction score
^Please make a noise gate plug-in for guitars thats similar to the Axe-Fx one. There are a lot on the market but most are really bad for hi-gain, or even guitars in general.

Something like this may already exist. basically, you'd just need a gate with a sidechain input or a loop so it can sense the full dynamics of your input signal while acting to squash the distorted signal (which has much less dynamic range than the signal straight from the guitar). Check for something like this over on the KVR.

Kazrog

Kazrog LLC
Reaction score
You mentioned that you were considering creating a "create your own amp pack" option over on the Reaper forum. Is this still forthcoming? If so, do you have an ETA on that option?

You can already buy amp models a la carte. With the coupon deal that's currently running, it is effectively a "build your own bundle" level of discount. The e-comm software I'm using doesn't explicitly support bundling, although I plan to work with the developer to arrive at a solution to that.

tedtan

Reaction score
Thanks. I was thinking in a more general sense that that the "build your own bundle" option will probably be your biggest selling Therminonic add on once it's available since most guys probably have 5-10 amp models they use for pretty much everything.

Kazrog

Kazrog LLC
Reaction score
Thanks. I was thinking in a more general sense that that the "build your own bundle" option will probably be your biggest selling Therminonic add on once it's available since most guys probably have 5-10 amp models they use for pretty much everything.

Great news! Build your own bundle is live now - you hear it first:

• Buy 5 or more amp models and get 23% off
  • Buy 10 or more amp models and get 33% off

Enjoy!

Lach Rae Dawn

Reaction score
Well, for just plugins... This is what I have and use.

EZMix:
has a lot of good expansions that can give some really good tones for guitar, (covering an extensive range as well, and covers way more than just guitar) but just as some one else has pointed out, its very limited on tweaking, its more of a preset box with 1, or two parameters tweakable (sometimes those parameters are tied to many different thing). Its an absolutely fantastic program for quick sculpting of sound, or cycling through chains for inspiration. But when I use it, I almost always have to use it in chains with other plugins for finer tuning. Excellent tool for the arsenal, but you will not get by with it alone in any serious manner.

Waves signature series: (such as the CLA Guitars, and a couple other plugins)
I will mainly focus on CLA guitars in this batch, it can get results similar to that of Bias, and EZ Mix. It is a bit more tweakable (more options to dial in than EZ Mix) You can find this on sale at AudioDeluxe almost every other month or so. Extremely intuitive interfaces, and quick to dial in a nice sound.

ReValver 4:
- one downside is it requires to be tied to a usb key to be used on your pc -
ok now that is out of the way, it is by far the most tweakable of any guitar amp sim modeler I have ever heard of. You can literally build your own amp/fx inside this program. It sounds nice, and ReValver 3.5 you could get pretty nice tones out of, so I have no doubt the same could be done, (and better) out of ReValver 4. I have used this one the least out of them (mainly because its the newest amp sim suite I have). Also it has a custom IR Loader!!!

Now I would recommend this. Try ReValver 4 if you plan to go in depth in tweaking. Also its pricing module is far more flexible for people who want to try it out. Base product (and minimal amps/FX models) is completely free for you to download. It is not a Demo, it is the full product, just with not all the modules and effects. If you like it from there you can purchase more modules for it.

As for DAWs. I use FL Studio. It can do just about anything that all the others can do (and more great things are coming for it) plus I get free life time updates. It may cost more than Reaper initially, but over the long run FL Studio's price/value is unparalleled.

Reaction score
Not that amp specifically, but there are 25 models, many of them high gain. I will be adding more amp models over time, and that one has been a popular request, though. :shred:

Ive went on the site... i dont see the 25 amp list. What are they?

MechyKola

Reaction score
LePou. TSE. NickCrow. GuitarHack. God's cab. PreFix Gate. Carla plugin host. Done. Also don't forget parametric EQ

MechyKola

Reaction score
Also use Ardour as your DAW. Great value with a 1$ "minimum donation" *cough* price *cough* Works on Linux and OSX officially and works on windows if you are happy to use nightly builds.

blckrnblckt

Reaction score
I didn't realize there was a Mercuriall Cab 3.0 until this week. When I first looked at their free stuff, I downloaded Mercuriall Cab 2.1, and it didn't work for me. I just tried Mercuriall Cab 3.0, and I like it a lot. They seem more dynamic than my other IRs for some reason, and I don't need to load an IR every time.

Elric

Reaction score
I would recommend Reaper for a Mac too, because Garageband is a toy, that only supports 16 bit at 44.1 kHz ... good recordings require 24 bit. Reaper is much more powerful and easy to learn due to the many tutorials on Youtube and the superb forum.

Coolness. I did not even know they supported Mac. I knew GB was free and the OP seemed like he wanted to get up and running quickly; hence the recommendation but, yes, Reaper is great.

Aymara

Reaction score
Coolness. I did not even know they supported Mac.

Reaper started as a Windows only DAW, but the Mac version is available for years now and pretty stable.

Garageband is quite nice for early beginners, because it comes with virtual instruments and amps. For learning purposes and quick demos it's quite nice, but for serious recordings it's not recommendable, because it doesn't support 24 bit. That's why I call it an appetizer for Apple's Logic, which I don't like, because it doesn't support VST, which is needed to be able to route MIDI output ... AU has no MIDI output.

Mathemagician

Reaction score
Once you have all this set up in a DAW, you can just plug into your interface and play/practice with the amp sims and everything on right? Super noobie to this stuff. This thread has been super helpful.

')