Guitar Plugin with the best high gain amp sims?

• Thread starter Slippery When Wet
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Aymara

Reaction score
Once you have all this set up in a DAW, you can just plug into your interface and play/practice with the amp sims and everything on right?

Yes, you can just play or record too. But a few amp sims like Guitar Rig or BIAS FX also have a standalone version just for jamming and / or developing sound setups ... here a DAW is not needed.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Yes, you can just play or record too. But a few amp sims like Guitar Rig or BIAS FX also have a standalone version just for jamming and / or developing sound setups ... here a DAW is not needed.

Os bias compatable with other sim software companies?

Aymara

Reaction score
Is bias compatable with other sim software companies?

No, I don't think so, but you can combine it with other plugins in a DAW, e.g. other effects.

The question is, what you mean with compatible and if you mean BIAS FX or BIAS Amp. The later is only amp and cab simulation, the other has effects too, but allows no amp tweaking like the use of different tubes. If you want to capture your own amp, you need BIAS Amp Pro, but you can import that amp profile in BFX. But you can't import stuff from other plugins.

I would recommend downloading their demos.

Reaction score
I play mostly technical death metal and i have amplitube max and bias amp. If you are looking for a good death metal tone amplitube has the best sounds. I mostly use the engl powerball amp they have because my real amp is an engl invader and its the closest sim i've found to it.

My opinion on bias amp is its a complete waste of money. Bias does have nice clean tones and good tones for rock n roll, but for heavier and more extreme types of metal it doesn't work well. The notes with bias just sound weak. I don't know exactly how to explain it but they just never sound very heavy and don't seem to want to ring out very well especially using a neck pickup. To be honest id kind of compare it to the way my real amp sounds when the tubes need to be replaced. I've downloaded tons of presets that people have made and none of them have a good technical death tone.

Amplitube is much different from bias. It does take a bit of tweaking but with amplitube you can pretty much get any kind of tone you want. The notes in amplitube all seem to be able to ring out and sound heavy without having to turn on tons of gain or distortion. Which in my opinion is a good thing because the notes can actually articulate and still sound extremely heavy. I took the plunge and got the max version which is a bit pricey but does come with a lot of really nice sims. Though it is expensive all of the fx and distortion pedals are right there for you so theres no need to go purchase extra stuff. With bias you have to go buy bias fx and bias pedal which would probably end up costing you the same.

No amp sim is perfect thats for sure. These are my opinions on the two programs i have. If your a death metal guitarist than I really don't think Bias is for you. It's not a bad program it just isn't very good for that style of playing.

gabrielc

Reaction score
..., though (the "SLO" model is laughably bad and those new Marshalls are disappointing), ....

I had to post because I got really curious why you think that. Sure we all have different tastes and all, but I'd like to hear (er, read) your reason, honestly.

AT4 is my main sim program for awhile, I got the full thing. I always try other stuff of course, but mostly out of curiosity, I always end up going back to it.

So I found an interesting opinion because from other people who use AT4 whom I have talked with, and myself included, the SLO model has always been a grail to tone shaping. Mainly, just because it's knobs are all ridiculously sensitive and you can get it to sound like any other model by just changing cab/mic/speaker combination.

First, the overdrive has all from clean to death-metal-like, even without a booster/od, so, you're covered in any gain you want.
And then, like I said, Bass, Mid, Treble, all have an immense range. You can go from no treble at all to "wtf is this highs? Unnecessary! Bass from thin sizzle to just boom.

And last but definitely not least, the Presence knob. It's absurdly wide-reaching like no other, ever. Around 10-11 it's higher than the Rectifier Channel 3 on Modern.

So, that's why I got curious. Coz honestly, by messing with it, you can shape the SLO model to sound like just about anything else. (again, taking the cab/speaker/mic into consideration). So maybe that is your reason? It doesn't have a well defined characteristic of its own?

Cheers:metal:

Kazrog

Kazrog LLC
Reaction score
')