Guitar Pro 5?

Moonfridge

Reaction score
Sup guys,

Recently bought a mac and I'm looking to get hold of guitar pro. Problem is that I actually prefer GP5 to GP6.

Does anybody know of a place where I can still buy GP5?

- Alex

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
Have you tried talking to the company? They might be able to hook you up, otherwise I know of no such place. Aside from the drum tabs, I would say 6 is a large improvement. The functionality on dynamics, and attack and such (legatos available, etc) is much greater.

GSingleton

Sleep on, Fly on
Vendor
Reaction score
I have a question pertaining to this.

I have 5 and do not want to get 6 just for 8 string capabilities. Any solutions?

Deadnightshade

U gonna eat that?
Reaction score
I have a question pertaining to this.

I have 5 and do not want to get 6 just for 8 string capabilities. Any solutions?

The usual practice is to have two tracks,one for the bottom 7 strings,and one for the top 7 strings.Pair this with multi-track view so that you can see both of them simultaneously and you'll be fine.

AK DRAGON

Guitar Popcicle
Reaction score
Try looking around for a new retail version of GP5. Or you might get lucky to find an online copy

EDIT
SOFT SUPREME <-- not sure about these guys but they have what you are looking for

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
What are you folks finding so terrible about GP6? I would like to see the list, as I have only found increased functionality (drums aside). I have a feeling this is mostly a complacency/familiarity thing. I used GP5 for years, but greatly prefer 6.

Reaction score
What are you folks finding so terrible about GP6? I would like to see the list, as I have only found increased functionality (drums aside). I have a feeling this is mostly a complacency/familiarity thing. I used GP5 for years, but greatly prefer 6.

It's glitchy, sometimes when you write music out the stuff gets really really small.

GSingleton

Sleep on, Fly on
Vendor
Reaction score
It is a pain in the ass that I can no longer look at tabs for bands like Tesseract and extended range bands. It is all tabbed in GP6 now.

MitchellJBurgess

Reaction score
I would try ebay or if you're a super badass, try torenting =) =)

Also, what's wrong with Guitar Pro Six? I haven't yet got it, but if there are many bad things about it. I'd like to know! What things go wrong with it?

A list would be nice =)

Moonfridge

Reaction score
A few of my niggles:

- I've only had it a very short while and its already crashed on me a few times
- The change to the drums notation
- It's generally a lot slower at opening files and stuff compared to GP5
- I've noticed that when you're working with 16th note groupings or higher the notes seem to merge together and make the tab near unreadable (same thing stealth was talking about?)
- It's much bigger than GP5 was due to the new RSE; which I won't be using anyway since the distorted guitars still sound pretty bad (Although this isn't a massive problem since I have a new computer and I have to admit some of the other sounds do sound quite good)
- I can't seem to find a way to "play from start of track" (Maybe I'm just missing this? If so please do fill me in!)
- I've also had some problems when copying and pasting from one project into another when working with different tunings, it seems to automatically transpose it without asking me which can be quite annoying
- I find the interface to be a little harder to navigate opposed to GP5 because of all the new RSE options. I use GP to read and write tabs, not to listen to my favourite songs. IMO - Simplicity > More sound options
- All my GP5 files sound very bad in GP6 and things like slides and legato sound pretty shit (Although I think they are actually working on a fix for this)

Those are the main things that came to mind, although I must admit there are a few new features that I like; e.g. Being able to open more than one project at a time and the support of 8-string guitars (not that I actually own one, but I think it's a good addition nevertheless)

- Alex

')