Guitar Set up (HALP plz)

• Thread starter The-Zeronaut
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

The-Zeronaut

Reaction score
maybe this is a really stupid post but if i never ask i will never get the answers im looking for :p

I´ve been watching some (maybe 30 xd) videos about guitar set up
but i still have a question:
what come first ...truss rod (if necessary), intonation or string height?
and if the guitar has floyd rose the order its the same?
or its check the level of the floyd(spring tension etc) then string height and later intonation?
and if the guitar has no strings? (i know its a RETARDED question...)
then it will be put the strings(Tune it) , string height , intonation and truss rod?

sorry if there is any mistake...my english is really bad.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

muffgoat

The Djentle Giant
Reaction score
When i went to school for repair they showed us a little lame thing for remembering setup order but hey it works :lol:

Just remember NNAPI

Neck

Nut

Action

Pickups

Intonation

Hope this helps at all

gaunten

WUUUUAAAAAAAAH!!!
Reaction score
bump :D
I was gonna setup my new interceptor today, but didn't have a small enough screwdriver at home to get the truss rod cover off (really irritating)
so I find it rather pointless to start intonating if I'm gonna mess with the truss rod later.
however, your post (muffgoat) gave me some new questions,
first, what about the nut?
and second, does it really matter if you adjust the pickups after you intonate?

also, I have another question, the guitar came really nicely setup, and intonated, but when you throw on a 10-64 set and tune to drop G that tends to change that...

so, now I have some fret buzz on like the first 6 frets on the low G at least, and the neck is completely straight as far as I can see, should I loosen the truss rod so the neck goes "up" a little, and then lower the action on the bridge, so the strings don't get to far away on the higher frets? and where and how am I supposed to check the action? I've seen techs pressing down the strings on certain frets and checking how far the string is from the neck etc.

any help is very much appreciated :)