Guitar shopping in Tokyo

• Thread starter RGGR
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Awesome pics, looking at them makes me miss Japan even more. :( I'd love to go visit my mother's side of relatives again. First thing i'd do is go guitar shopping too. :D

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
that just might be the coolest music store on the planet :yesway:

Why one? There are 3-4 different stores in those pics.

I bought my GNX3000 at the Musicland KEY shop in Shinjuku. Probably the coolest guitar shops I can think of are the Ishibashi in Ochanomizu (well, technically there are like 3 Ishibashi's in Ochanomizu) and the Rock-In in Shinjuku.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Shinjuku is awesome, of course it's been 18 years since i've been there so I imagine it's changed alot. Good times I had there though. :yesway:

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
Shinjuku is awesome, of course it's been 18 years since i've been there so I imagine it's changed alot. Good times I had there though. :yesway:

I work there every weekday and go there at least once every weekend for band practice, so I don't have such an "awesome" image of it. :lol: So, out of 7 days a week, I'm usually there 6 days... or 7. :lol: Ochanomizu is the best place in Tokyo to go for guitars, though, or general music shops (they have a 3-4 floor metal disc union with nothing but metal CDs, DVDs, clothing, etc.).

RGGR

Reaction score
$400 total purchases you have to pay customs upon entering USofA
Guitars and airplanes don't go well together....so best thing is to box up your purchase and mail it to yourself. On paperwork you mark guitar as "returned from repairs". This way the taxman won't stick any import tax on the guitar.

Stitch

Banned
Reaction score
And i'm back over there in a week and ahalf. Cannot wait. I miss Japan. :(

Caparison Dellinger 7, here I come! :lol:

skeleb

Reaction score
I will be going to Japan (Tokyo, Nagoya and some smaller places) next month, and I'm very interested in buying my first seven string from there!

I know that Ochanomizu is THE place to go for guitar shopping, but knowing that it is so vast I need some advice that what shops has the best arsenal of used guitars.
My budget isn't very big, because I will be in Japan from August 2nd to August 31st, so there's also something else where I will spend my money. :)
I'm mainly searching for a Schecter (007 Blackjack, C-7 Blackjack, C-7), but anything goes if looks and sounds good and fits to my budget. If someone living in Japan or someone who has just been there could name any shops where you can make some great 2nd hand finds, I would be very thankful.

As you can see, this is my first post here, so greetings to everyone!

cpnhowdy

Reaction score
Hi Skeleb, Ochanomizu isnt really that big, you can walk from the JR/Subway line down to Yasukuni dori or Jimbocho Station in about 15-20 min. There are quite a few guitar shops on that main street. Both sides have a couple shops dedicated to used guitars.
One that comes to mind is Shimokura Second Hands Part 2 shop, its on the the same side as JR Ochanomizu Station. On the other side of the street is Shimokura Second Hands Part 1. Other shops may have some used guitar for sale but you will have to go in and see.

Here is a map of some of the shops (sorry, dont know of one in English):
Ochanomizu Map

Shibuya also has Key Music, Ikebe Gakki, Heartman and 246 Guitars. 246 also has quite a few used stuff (246 Guitars)

Also in Shibuya is the ESP Crafthouse
ESP Direct Shop |Craft House

Eric might know of some better places.

yevetz

I am a COCK!!!!!!!!!
Contributor
Reaction score
CIMG3320.jpg

:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

yevetz

I am a COCK!!!!!!!!!
Contributor
Reaction score
Shit...I want to go in to Japan for fucking shopping :wallbash:

skeleb

Reaction score
Hi Skeleb, Ochanomizu isnt really that big, you can walk from the JR/Subway line down to Yasukuni dori or Jimbocho Station in about 15-20 min. There are quite a few guitar shops on that main street. Both sides have a couple shops dedicated to used guitars.
One that comes to mind is Shimokura Second Hands Part 2 shop, its on the the same side as JR Ochanomizu Station. On the other side of the street is Shimokura Second Hands Part 1. Other shops may have some used guitar for sale but you will have to go in and see.

Here is a map of some of the shops (sorry, dont know of one in English):
Ochanomizu Map

Shibuya also has Key Music, Ikebe Gakki, Heartman and 246 Guitars. 246 also has quite a few used stuff (246 Guitars)

Also in Shibuya is the ESP Crafthouse
ESP Direct Shop |Craft House

Eric might know of some better places.
Thanks! I'll definitely check the Shimokura shops and those in Shibuya. Most likely everything else too.

That map you linked is great! I know a bit of Japanese so I can navigate through the sites and I just got something to do if it gets boring at work. :D

Drage

Reaction score
Yup, I need to go to Japan.

')