Guitar Shopping Tokyo (2014)

• Thread starter ascl
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ascl

Reaction score
The last couple of years I have been to Tokyo and have posted some images of the mad guitar stores there, but this time I had some more time, and really went to quite a few different stores, some of which aren't necessarily easy to find. So figured I'd provide some hopefully useful information on where I went and how you would get there if you happened to be in Tokyo.

I am sure there are people here with better knowledge of guitars and Tokyo, but this is my contribution to the forum that hopefully can be added to by those with more knowledge.

I will discuss 3 different areas, Shibuya, Shinjuku and Ochanomizu. All three have some nice guitar stores, and any one of which is worth checking out if you get the chance. There are undoubtedly other areas worth exploring as well, and maybe next time I will find more! One thing to be aware of is that Google Maps can be very misleading in Tokyo. The addresses sometimes make it show you the wrong location, which can be very frustrating. All of these links should show the correct locations however.

In another thread, Stooge1996 asked if I had issues with communicating. I speak almost no Japanese, I can say hello and thankyou and that is about it. The range of English spoken varies a lot, with many of the staff speaking little or no English. However, they will always be helpful, and usually communicating your desire to play or buy a guitar is pretty straight forward. Just be polite and respectful and you are unlikely to have problems.

Another thing to be aware of is that typically you do not pick up the guitars. If you want to play one, ask a staff member and they will grab the guitar, tune it up and connect it to an Amp for you.

Unless otherwise noted, you will have to pay sales tax, and sometimes the prices marked are ex-tax (actually, I think Ishibashi may be the only one of the stores below that will sell you ex-tax, assuming you bring along your passport).

If you are Guitar shopping in Tokyo, be prepared to see a lot of high end Gibson, PRS, Suhr and the like. American guitars are clearly very popular!

Shibuya

This area is one of my favorite areas in Tokyo. It is very busy, but has some stuff to keep the wife happy (clothes mainly), and a bunch of guitar stores. It is also home to the large Ishibashi store, that Jason works in. He is an aussie, and obviously there are zero language issues, so shopping there is easy. Ishibashi also has a decent second hand section, and will ship internationally, and also have an export license, so you can avoid paying sales tax.

staticmap

Google Maps: Ishibashi Shibuya

This is a short walk from the station (There is even a youtube video on getting there: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dgwnz6Rc33g). It is on the first floor of a small building, so take the escalator up (I think there is a subway on the ground floor).

Nearby from here is the ESP Craft House. This is one of the places where ESP custom shop guitars are made, and they also have a pretty cool selection of guitars.
staticmap

Google Maps:ESP Craft House

This is also on the first floor, and pretty easy to walk passed depending on which direction you are heading. If you are walking down the hill, you will be passed the door before you can see the sign and the giant guitar. There is some kind of fast food place on the bottom. Ignore that and head up the steps.

There are a couple of the staff here who speak pretty decent English, and they have a really great range of interesting guitars. Surprisingly (to me anyway), they have a decent range of guitars, not just ESP-related brands (although they have them too, Grass Roots, Edwards, LTD, Killer, ESP and Navigator) -- Suhr, PRS and even a couple of Gibson's grace the walls. They have a bunch of crazy customs here as well. Upstairs (up the tiny spiral staircase) is the small custom shop -- this area is staff only, however, if you are on good terms (especially if you are buying a guitar!) you may get the chance to have a look.

South from these two is another store... which I don't remember the name of (it is actually a chain and there is one in Ochanomizu as well, there may be others as well):
staticmap

Other store approximate location

Sad to say I'm not 100% sure of the location here either, I literally walked passed it on the way somewhere else. What is worth noting here is this store is 5 stories, and each floor has a different theme. Ground floor is MIJ guitars, and above there is a Gibson and PRS floor. I was only looking at MIJ when I went here, so I am not sure what the range is like. The store was small, but had a decent range of Tokai guitars.

Further south again (but still close to the station), is Key Music:
staticmap

Google Maps: Key Music

Key Music is another 5 (ish) floor shop, again each floor has a theme, with various brands on each floor (although like the previous one, not all floors are guitars). Worth checking out, some interesting MIJ brands (Crewz for eg).

In the immediate vicinity there are maybe 4 or 5 other stores, all part of Ikebe (イケベ各店情å.±).

staticmap

Google Maps: Jungle Guitars

At this same location (one floor up) is Grande Guitars, which had a PRS with one of the nicest tops I have ever seen...

staticmap

Google Maps: 246 Guitars

246 Guitars is pretty small and on the 2nd floor. Look for the small plaque on the wall, and head up. Easy to miss the entrance, but once you head up the stairs you can't miss it. Very small, didn't have a huge amount I thought was interesting, but it is obviously subject to change (and given you are in the area anyway, why not?!).

Just around the corner is Guitar Station:
staticmap

Google Maps: Guitar Station

Heartman Guitars:
staticmap

Google Maps: Heartman Guitars

I think this one was pretty small too. None of these small stores really stood out, and I'm sure I have missed at least one (there is also an acoustic guitar store in this area, which I walked passed but didn't bother going into... not my thing), but given Key Music is worth the visit, checking out the other stores in this block is definitely worth while! And you never know what second gems you might find.

Shinjuku

Shinjuku isn't as nice (IMHO) as Shibuyu but it is a common place to stay -- my last trip I was near Shinjuku so really got to explore the area's guitar stores (while avoiding the red light district).

staticmap

Google Maps: Rock Inn

This is actually a cluster of three stores, 2 side by side and one across the road, all under the "Rock Inn" name. The smallest of the 3 has purely second hand guitars, the intermediate one has low to mid tier guitars, while the larger (3 or 4 levels) has the more expensive guitars, including some extremely nice Gibsons. The tops of some of these gibby's were among the best I've seen!

That said, these shops weren't hugely interesting to me... I wasn't looking for MIA guitars (Gibson or PRS).

staticmap

Google Maps: tcgakki

This was a pretty cool store. Easy to find (ground level), close to the train station, and these guys will also sell Ex-Tax I believe (although I haven't tried it). They have an English language website here: TCGAKKI?English

I really enjoyed this store, because it had a bunch of interesting second hand gear. Some of it junk, but also some cool pieces. A store like this is always going to be hit or miss I guess, but that is half the fun!

As a bonus, right next door is Hyper Guitars (Hyper Guitars), just head down the stairs. This store had a bunch of stuff that isn't really my thing, but none-the-less some really amazing Gibson and Fender's, including some vintage axes -- basically a whole bunch of stuff I can't afford!

This section seems a bit brief doesn't it? But the two locations net 5 stores, and there is also another couple of stores I didn't make it to (one in the seibu building on the 6th floor), so I can't really comment on them. Not really a location you'd head to specifically for the guitar shopping, but if you are staying around the station, there is some options!

Ochanomizu

This is typically the area people will suggest when talking about Guitars in Tokyo. It is a bit bare of other stuff, so partners may be bored here (Shibuya is a much better bet if you need to entertain a significant other). Given this is my least favorite guitar shopping area, I will be a bit vague with the names and precise locations, but for a decent taste this location is really easy. A large number of shops are all on one street.... so lets get to the guitars!

Once you leave the station, head to the east exit and it pretty much dumps you right where you want to be:
staticmap

From this location you can see the first couple of stores... just cruise down the street and you will find more. Very easy!

Of particular note here is:
staticmap

Google Maps: Big Boss

You can enter from either side (a small alley off the main 'guitar' stretch, or just around the corner on the bigger road), you can't miss it tho, big signs etc. This is several floors of guitars, with a decent number of ESP brands and a good selection of random music stuff.

Also worth checking out is the ESP Technical House:
staticmap

I'm not 100% sure of this location... it is just around the corner on one of the blocks. It may be one either side of the one I marked (sorry!). Technical House used to be a custom shop, but I don't think they make guitars there any more.

I'm not going to mention the others. They are easy to find, and definitely worth checking out.

Ikeburo

I feel obligated to mention this one... these guys sold me the hard tail ibanez I made a NGD thread about :)

staticmap

Google Maps: Rock House

These guys are also part of the ikebe group linked above, and the main thing about this store is the have a nice range of Ibanez. The level of English in this store was extremely basic when I was there, but that didn't stop me from playing some guitars or buying one! :D

I was planning on posting photos I took of interesting guitars, but this post is already quite long! I will post the images in a bit.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ascl

Reaction score
Now the bit everyone really wants to see (sorry for the crappy phone pics, I forgot my camera!)

ESP Craft House:
5bZl5pS.jpg

JldHyFv.jpg

dc6u8vz.jpg

CXK16oa.jpg

pW2PCtD.jpg

PK2NJsJ.jpg

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Ha, excellent. Though I'm going to be pissed if this trip was recent and we didn't do it together. This is how I spent the past 2 weekends (and the quest for a good Navigator LP continues...)

ascl

Reaction score
Ha, excellent. Though I'm going to be pissed if this trip was recent and we didn't do it together. This is how I spent the past 2 weekends (and the quest for a good Navigator LP continues...)

This was last week, just got back to Oz a few days ago.

ESP Craft House have a nice 1980 (they say) Navigator LP in a Tabacco burst -- picture above. I came very close to buying it... but I already have a nav.

_Mick_

Guitar Tech
Reaction score
Thank you. Now my wallet hates me, and I hate you haha :lol:

So envious of your trip and all that eye candy :squint:

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
My summary so far was that...
- ochanomizu was a huge let down - lots of shops, not a lot of good inventory. I live ~7 minutes walk away so quite the disappointment.
- musicland KEY seems great in either Shinjuku or Shibuya - both with good selection and cool, knowledgable staff,
- US custom instruments (Suhr, TA, etc.)are exorbitantly priced, no good deals on that stuff here,
- Some surprise winners were the Crews "Key to the Rock" models with K&T pickups - better overall sound than guitars 3x their cost.
- Lots of cool pedals - Free the Tone, Leqtique, not easily available outside of Japan may be the best bet for grabbing something worthwhile and unique.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Man, I miss Japan... All my friends have been pestering me to visit but alas my wallet says no. :(

One of my closest friend is there now, I probably should have asked her to get me a present... :idea: :lol:

Spectre 1

Reaction score
My summary so far was that...
- ochanomizu was a huge let down - lots of shops, not a lot of good inventory. I live ~7 minutes walk away so quite the disappointment.
- musicland KEY seems great in either Shinjuku or Shibuya - both with good selection and cool, knowledgable staff,
- US custom instruments (Suhr, TA, etc.)are exorbitantly priced, no good deals on that stuff here,
- Some surprise winners were the Crews "Key to the Rock" models with K&T pickups - better overall sound than guitars 3x their cost.
- Lots of cool pedals - Free the Tone, Leqtique, not easily available outside of Japan may be the best bet for grabbing something worthwhile and unique.

Tell me about it, been gassing for a Suhr Modern and now that I have the cash cant justify it. Back to scanning Digimart and JG daily for that elusive bargain. :agreed:

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
The good thing about Ochanomizu (mind you, I was there 20 years ago...) is that you don't need to know how to read the building panels to find the shops as they're right on the street. Finding one in Shibuya might be a lot trickier.

illimmigrant

A Different Logic
Reaction score
I wish this thread had been made a year and half ago when my wife and I went to Tokyo. I did go to the stores in Shibuya, since there was plenty there for the both of us to look at, like you mentioned. I loved Tokyo. Can't wait to go back, but prices for most guitars were really high compared to what I see in the U.S.

ascl

Reaction score
I wish this thread had been made a year and half ago when my wife and I went to Tokyo. I did go to the stores in Shibuya, since there was plenty there for the both of us to look at, like you mentioned. I loved Tokyo. Can't wait to go back, but prices for most guitars were really high compared to what I see in the U.S.

Shopping in Tokyo generally isn't about prices, but about range and availability. Second hand you have the chance to find some bargains, but even then you have to be lucky I think.

Same with electronics there, it isn't super cheap, but the stores are jam packed with everything you can imagine!

soliloquy

Reaction score
DEM ZEMAITIS!!!! one day! one day i too shall be a gentleman and own one of those beautiful creations

PBGas

Reaction score
Thank you so much for taking pics and sharing with us! Always great to see some different guitars on the other side of the world. Neat stuff!

Zado

Reaction score
Kellogg's ESP is just spectacular,and probably tastes like corn

')