Guitar tech just scratch my chrome Fishman pickup cover

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
So what should i use?
I would use a very light buffing liquid and a flannel cloth, with only 1 finger-worth of pressure. Check the liquid polishes you have available and make sure they are 1. compatible with the plating (i.e. no warning labels not to use on whatever your pickups are plated with) and 2. only very lightly abrasive (the grit should be rated somehow - some liquids only use vague descriptive words like "very fine grit" or whatever, but you'll probably want to test it on a scrap piece of similar metal to make sure it leaves a polished look when rubbed in and wiped away)

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
I have the black chrome fluence pickups. Within a year of constant use, I got A LOT of those same scratches just from picking or string change. Even the rag I use to dust off the cavities and wipe off the strings scratches the pickup. Holding it to the light reveals more micro-scratches and swirls.

You'll be fine.

Darkscience

Reaction score
Dude don't go the route of trying to fix that. No offense to anyone telling you how to do it, just do not do it, you will make it worse.

If you must do anything at all, pull the pickup out, (solderless no?), sell it, and buy another one. If you try to fix it and mess it up you will end up replacing it anyways, (because that IS what you will do), and get less for it because you messed it up more.

BTW what I would personally do is nothing, and just play it and play it some more. Scratches will develop 100% guaranteed from normal everyday use.

Blackspell-666

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Dude don't go the route of trying to fix that. No offense to anyone telling you how to do it, just do not do it, you will make it worse.

If you must do anything at all, pull the pickup out, (solderless no?), sell it, and buy another one. If you try to fix it and mess it up you will end up replacing it anyways, (because that IS what you will do), and get less for it because you messed it up more.

BTW what I would personally do is nothing, and just play it and play it some more. Scratches will develop 100% guaranteed from normal everyday use.
That's what i would do, nothing lol. I'll just accepted as it is and play the heck out of it.

Manurack

Nunavut Inuk
Reaction score
That's a tiny, minor ding. The first of many that adds character to a guitar. When I first got my Goldtop, I treated it like it was my baby, until it got a noticeable ding between the volume and tone knobs for the neck pickup. That was a relief and after that? It's received several dings since then. Like I said, it adds character.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Man, I've erased every EMG logo of my neck pickups from regular playing. They're guitars, they're meant to be played. Aim a light direct to your guitar body and you'll see a fuckton of pick scratches bigger than that one!

Latest posts

')