Guitar tones you love and have shaped your tone..

• Thread starter Dawn of the Shred
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dawn of the Shred

Member Since 2012
Reaction score
My fav guitar tones are Ola englund, Peter joseph, Dimebags and Keith merrow. These have shaped my tone into what it is today. Whos tone do you love and whos tone have shaped your tone?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mike90t09

Reaction score
I have always loved Lamb of God's tone. I guess you could say the tone I use today is pretty standard and not really based off of one guitarist, a lot of treb, a lot of low, and a fair amount of mids lol

Xardoniak

Reaction score
I absolutely love Northlanes tones but I was a big fan of Killswitch Engages tone back when I was listening to them.

Zer01

Reaction score
The And Justice For All tone. Yes, I know, I know.

Also Dime's tone on Cowboys and Vulgar. After that it was a sharp decline.

kamello

DESU METARU!
Reaction score
Rammstein (that thing is just like being crushed by..........by yo Mamma, huehuehuhe so many lulz), Mark and Misha's tone in Haunted Shores, and Petrucci (god, I was obsesed trying to get his tone)

Splenetic

Reaction score
On the extreme side...I'd say it's a toss up between Carcass, Nasum, Napalm Death, The Crown, and also a few old school metalcore bands like Turmoil and Buried Alive.

Sabbath is one of my two favorite bands of all time, and i'm also a pretty big sucker for anything from stoner rock to sludge, crushing doom, classic doom, so there's also that.

On that note....the second favorite is Anathema. And yes, you better believe i bought a guitar with a sustainiac pickup just because of them and their sexy sustained harmonics.

Then there's times when you say fuck it all and just wanna play the blues....

Basically, I like to have a lot of different tones at my disposal. That said, my gear is still a bit limited ... I want a new amp. But I won't scoff at what i currently have either, it's brought me many hours of good times.

Addie5150

Amidst the chaos
Reaction score
Van Halen - Fire in the hole.
In the middle of the song EVH plays a riff over which he solos on Eb & then ends the song playing the same riff in Bb.
That tone !!!!! So much meat . That fucking riff made me wanna play downtuned stuff & gradually move on to 7 strings
similarly on the new album - As is

JPhoenix19

Playing life by ear
Reaction score
Between the Buried and Me, specifically from Colors on. I'm also influenced by a lot of Nu-Metal like Sevendust, Linking Park (Hybrid Theory and Meteora), and even Limp Bizkit. For lead tones, I can't think of one better than Petrucci's.

Vhyle

Jackson Shill
Reaction score
Death - Sound of Perseverance
Jeff Loomis - Zero Order Phase. Such monster tone there; better than the second album.
And Justice For All. No, seriously. Loved that sound.
First Animals as Leaders album.

Those tones have influenced my tones greatly. I don't try to downright copy them, but they pointed me into the direction for tones that I love to use.

rjnix_0329

Reaction score
Gojira - The Way of All Flesh and L'Enfant Sauvage
Isis - Oceanic and In The Absence of Truth

Pretty much that really full, liquid, heavy tone with massive palm mutes is what I have always been looking for. The EVH 5150III helped me get a whole lot closer!

mcleanab

Theta Sagan Swords
Reaction score
Early in my development:
Randy Rhoads' tone on the Tribute album. (Marshalls)
Vernon Reid on the first two Living Colour ablums. (ADA MP-1)
Jake E. Lee on The Ultimate Sin. (Marshalls?)
Alex Lifeson on Hold Your Fire and A Show of Hands (Dean Markley and Gallien Krueger).

Recently:
Jeff Loomis on Plains of Oblivion (Engl?)
Christian Muenzner on Time Warp (Engl?)
Tesseract (Peavey?)
Devin Townsend across the board.

There's a bunch more too... the tone on Van Halen's Fair Warning... I remember Jane's Addiction's Nothing Shocking having some tones I really dug at the time (as does Strays).

DarkWolfXV

Excised n anatomised
Reaction score
Carcass on Necroticism/Heartwork, Suicide Silence on The Cleansing (Holy shit thats the heaviest tone aside from Mortician which i have heard), Mortician and Cryptopsy None So Vile/Blasphemy Made Flesh (Dem Strat with EMG's and Boss Metal Zone)

skisgaar

Master-debatur
Reaction score
Killswitch Engage have easily some of the best guitar tones I've ever heard.
Fallujah's lead tone is wicked too.

I only have an Engl screamer though, so I sound like neither hahaha

ridner

Bastard of Thousands
Reaction score
Lars' snare tone on St Anger

Korbain

Stay negative!
Reaction score
My guitar tone/sounds are a bit of Adam Jones, Tom Morello, Mikael Akerfeldt, Stephen Carpenter, Wes Borland and Dimebag :) A use bit of each for the distortion, cleans, effects for my overall sound :D

')