Guitar tones you love and have shaped your tone..

• Thread starter Dawn of the Shred
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Veldar

Is Post-Thrash?
Reaction score
Dick lovgren's tone on Nothing and VoD's bass tone live, I run the two together for the maddest bass tone ever.

Posted from Sevenstring.org App for Android

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

no_dice

a very bad old bear
Reaction score
Heartwork, and I also really love Graf Orlock's chunky guitar sounds. One of the guitarists said they use a block letter 5150 and a Rockerverb. If only I could make shit that sounded as good as either of them, I'd be set. :lol:

ittoa666

Being confused on SS.org since 2008
Reaction score
As I Lay Dying, Slayer, Metallica (First three albums), Ratt, Lamb of God.

Basically, I love a good metalcore tone that sounds like it was made with eighties equipment.

cGoEcYk

Reaction score
Bass: Justin Chancellor Lateralus era, Tim Commerford, Fieldy (horrible I know), and Gustaf grind on Chaosphere.

Guitar: Right now I like Ola Englund... he seems to get a great modern tone out of every amp he demos. It's usually kind of the same tone but it's a cool tone.

I like the range of guitar tones Isis uses. I am more into post metal and droney stuff than classic style thrash.

DeadWeight

New Age Bogan
Reaction score
Born of Osiris' The Discovery (particularly the higher notes on Recreate) has had the most recent influence on how I want my tone to be. Although using a solid state Crate and a Boss metalzone generally leaves a lot to be desired :lol:

fps

Kit
Reaction score
Alice In Chains- Them Bones and latterly Check My Brain
Tool- The Grudge and Eulogy
Nothingface- Bleeder

There are many more, but these are all perfect. When I made my band's rhythm patch on my POD HD (it's cheaper and easier than lugging an amp, it makes gigging fun, it still sounds great) those are the tones I had in mind to balance between. I would love to get my hands on some Bogner stuff or Diezel gear one day.

Alimination

Space Adventurer
Reaction score
For the whole metal thing, I've been digging the Omnivium album by Obscura lately. Pretty sweet tones.

Other then that, Probably Guthrie's tone on the Aristocrats.

zilla

Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Time to date myself..

Satch - surfing with the alien and the extremist. Flying in a blue dream to a lesser extent.
George lynch
Warren dimartini
Old scorpions
Shawn lane
Vai - solo and his stuff with whitesnake
Petrucci
Billy gibbons/zz top
Guthrie govan
Exodus - fabulous disaster
Testament/Alex skolnik
Metallica - MOP, kill em all, and black album
Carcass - neuroticism and heartwork
Arch enemy - doomsday machine

Keith merrow
Periphery
Ola englund
Dethklok

so many more that aren't coming to mind.

Edit

Annihilator
Pantera
Suicidal tendencies
Death
Anthrax
Def leppard - hysteria
Pink Floyd
Sepultura - arise

erotophonophilia

Reaction score
Morbid Angel - Gateways to Annihilation. Although the majority of their guitar tone, is pure technique. It reminds me of fluttering razor blades.

Cannibal Corpse - Evisceration Plague.

Bloodbath - Resurrection Through Carnage.

Decapitated - Carnival is Forever

Celtic Frost - Monotheist

InfinityCollision

Reaction score
When it comes to heavy metal tones, my go-to sound is "meaty as fuck"... That crushing, full-bore tone you hear on so many post-metal albums. Cranked Model Ts ahoy! That or my modded Mesa Nomad - not quite Recto heaviness but still that smoother, saturated Mesa tone.

Rock tones are more Porcupine Tree-esque. A bit less low-end, roll back the gain, but still with that delicious crunch that I love so much. Actually I just dig PT/SW guitars in general :yum:

I love Allan Holdsworth's lead tone. Chords tone doesn't really translate well to my usual material. I usually go for some variant of Fender style cleans, like these:

BusinessMan

Reaction score
i'd have to say ola's, dino's, machine head's, and gary holt's tones have given me what i have today. love low tuned thrash sounds

JosephAOI

Thinks Jazz = Metal
Reaction score
The Contortionist's rhythm, lead, and clean tones. Periphery's clean tones, Scale The Summit's lead tones. Born Of Osiris' Rhythm tones.

Leveebreaks

Dooooooooom
Reaction score
Carcass on Heartwork and Surgical Steel, Crowbar's Odd Fellows Rest and Killswitch's live tone. Supersaturated but full of mids :)

')