Guitar tones you love and have shaped your tone..

• Thread starter Dawn of the Shred
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TIBrent

Drop Z regular
Reaction score
recently the new Bear has been rocking my world tone wise

Every Hour Kills (Sacha's tones ALWAYS get me)

jimwratt

Reaction score
Jimi Hendrix - Band of Gypsies
nuff said

Wes Borland in general (yes really. It was the first heavy tone I heard that piqued my interest and got me on track paying attention to much better tones but it was among the first few I heard before picking up a guitar.)

Kevin Eubanks on the Jay Leno show. My parents used to let me stay up for the opening credit because I liked his tone (and not choice) so much.

Greg Howe - Extraction
Andy Timmons - Resolution
Eric Johnson - Venus Isle
Ty Tabor - Dogman
Allan Holdsworth - Metal Fatigue

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
This was the reason why I bought a pair of Dimarzio Breeds for my RG.

To this day, Breed+Basswood is still my favorite combo for a guitar, ever.

wrongnote85

Reaction score
from a strictly guitar tone perspective:

Morbid Angel--Gateways to Annihilation and Domination
Death--Symbolic and Sound of Perseverance
Megadeth--Peace Sells and Rust in Peace
Metallica--Black
Cannibal Corpse--Gallery of Suicide
Judas Priest--Unleashed in the East

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
I didn't really like this album as a whole, but I've gotta admit that it's got a pretty massive mix (0:21) I'd like to have a similar sound if either of my bands record soon

Same thing here. Massive, awesome mix. Also I love FFAK haha

Discoqueen

Dang tootin
Reaction score
This is kind of weird but The Dillinger Escape Plan has had a huge influence on my tone, I think. I say it's wierd because I don't really listen to the band what so ever. I have Ire Works and I've listened to it a few times but it's just not me. How abrassive the guitars are sometimes had a huge impact so sometimes I like to go for that kinda thing. Mid heavy for sure.
Pain of Salvation is another band that I really liked their guitar tones. Especially off of the song Black Hills and the album Entropia (when they played heavier music and such, I guess.)

teamSKDM

Reaction score
I'd say the closest to my tone is born of Osiris. Very tight and meaty yet smoothed and not gritty or crunchy. Very high gain, without any fizz. Lot of miss with equal bass and treble. Very fluid leads.

Facaraz

Reaction score
Versatile tones : Porcupine Tree,Karnivool,Animals as leaders...
Dist. : Dimebag,Machine head,Metallica,LOG,Gojira,Death and even Alice in Chains,Audioslave...
Clean : watery , like Chimaira(song-Samsara),or Disperse,well can't remember anything else at the moment
+Slap tehniques(and much more) , Guthrie Govan Style...

goldsteinat0r

Zib Zob Zabbity
Reaction score
Chevelle. Pete's sound on "Wonder Whats Next" thoroughly distracted me from the fact that the songs on that record are actually very bad.

I also always loved Dan Estrin's studio sound (Hoobastank) and As I Lay Dying's super saturated chugga-chugga bidness. Their more recent records have had some straight up AWESOME sounding guitars, and they were mostly recorded with a block-letter 5150 and an old LP Studio. Imagine that.

goldsteinat0r

Zib Zob Zabbity
Reaction score
I'd say the closest to my tone is born of Osiris. Very tight and meaty yet smoothed and not gritty or crunchy. Very high gain, without any fizz. Lot of miss with equal bass and treble. Very fluid leads.

The tone on their first couple records got on my nerves. It was almost too "tight" and chirpy through the mids.

Gryphon

Reaction score
Randy Rhoads from the Tribute CD. Any amp I play through (except Dual and Triple rectifiers) the first thing I do is dime the Mid range and dial everything else in from there.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
Slayer - Decade of Aggression. The live tone I use for reference for anything else. And since I've seen that same show live I can attest it sounded the same in the arena.

Which also explains why I thought Slayer sounded like garbage recently.

')